Kim Possible Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2007)

What Do You Think About KiGo?

Do You Like the Idea of KiGo?

Zokolov

[141]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    Well, I'll read KiGo as long as it's done tastefully and with skills. That really sums up my opinion.
    Edited on 02/16/2007 1:29am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beeftony

[142]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 29
    Awesome! Glad to see I'm not the only rational one around here. It looks like we're finally having an informed debate. To commemorate the fact that this is the single most popular thread on these forums, I've pinned it. This thing dates back to before I was editor.
    Edited on 02/16/2007 8:04am

beeftony

[143]Feb 16, 2007
    Well, as a fellow writer, I thought I'd give a more in-depth look at your arguments. I agree with everything you say, and I have a few things of my own that I want to add. Please humor me.

deathstlker713 wrote:

Okay. This is both small and large, and probably helped start the interest in this pairing in the first place: friendly banter. What kind of enemies stop in the middle of a heated battle to exchange fashion advice or a quick agreement on the insane inability to find a parking spot in LA? They've spanned more topics in their quick discussions than Kim and, say, Monique have covered in all the times they've talked. Yes, there are some insults thrown in, but almost all of those 'insults' sound just like the typical conversation between myself and one of my closest friends: we revel in our differences and our ability to poke at each other about anything we can get our hands on. Kim occasionally throws a jibe at another foe, but only with Shego is it a regular and returned occurence, and only with Shego can the fight actually be put on pause for a moment to accomodate these quick exchanges.

An oft-debated topic about KiGo is exactly how friendly their banter is. Some believe that Shego's little pet names like "Princess" and "Pumpkin" are terms of endearment, but I agree with the majority in that those are simply taunts to throw Kim off her game. Though you bring up a good point when you say that close friends often converse in the same manner. I know for a fact that "guy talk" consists of behavior that under normal circumstances would be considered bullying, but among close friends it is called "bonding." We call each other names, question each other's sexual preference, and challenge each other's claims of their effectiveness with the ladies, but it's all in good humor. The fact that that Kim and Shego are not exactly the most feminine of women naturally encourages this sort of behavior between them.

deathstlker713 wrote:

Next, an often-debated topic, but I will just blurt it out, as I am wont to do, as fact. Shego goes easy on Kim. She does. The girl can shoot plasma from her hands and slice through solid steel. Are we really to believe her aim is that terrible and the claws that can scar metal can't break skin? Only once has she ever hurt Kim (in the movie So the Drama), and even that, considering distance, fource, and her physical abilities, was nothing more than a mere scratch, barely anything at all. I said no specifics, but for the purposes of example (and I think this has been used before, but I am merely reiterating), there is one instance where Shego cut through a steel beam, severing one part of it, which Kim proceeded to grab to use as a shield/weapon. Now, Shego had just sliced it once, she could easily do it again, no problem. But instead, Kim is perfectly able to block every one of Shego's blows with that same metal rod, and it never even got a dent. Basic premise to be gained from this? Shego doesn't want Kim to get hurt.

Exactly. Shego could have snapped Kim like a twig if she wanted to. I think it's because Shego sees so much of herself in Kim that it feels as though she's not hurting the redhead, but herself. I think that subconsciously she wants Kim to win, if only to prove to herself that there's still hope for those who have not chosen to go down her path. She would never admit this of course, but I think that it provides an interesting insight into Shego's character. Shego is human, and she is capable of feeling real emotion. She can't bring herself to hurt a person who reminds her so much of who she used to be. This fact alone is not enough to justify a romantic relationship between the two, but it is definitely a contributing factor.

deathstlker713 wrote:

Now, like I said, there are other examples, but those are two of the most used. No, admittingly, neither point to a romantic involvement. Again, this is Disney, and we all know that will not happen. But, they could, eventually, point to a potential friendship; after all, anything's possible, right?

Of course it is. I actually wrote a D/S fic where Kim and Shego end up becoming close friends. That story actually took several digs at the KiGo cliches and the overeager fans who take any sign of friendship and turn it into something sexual. One scene in that story has Kim and Shego hugging (Shego has just suffered severe emotional trauma and their friendship is already established), and Ron walks up and says, "Now, ya see, that's how rumors get started." But while KiGo may have started as just an internet rumor, I've seen people take it beyond a simple girl-on-girl fantasy and expand it into a working relationship filled with all the love, issues, and problems faced by heterosexual couples. The universe that King in Yellow has been able to create out of this ship is just astounding.

deathstlker713 wrote:

And on that note, I want to insert something that is both on and off topic: Shego's level of villiany. See, for anything to ever happen between her and Kim, friendly or otherwise, she couldn't be a purely evil villian, right? But, see, that's one thing the show has done: indicated that, of all the villians on the show, she is probably the least inclined to true evil at the core. She has given indications that she is in it for the profit and the thrill, not out of any actual desire for conquest (For those who might point out 'A Sitch in Time', the oppourtunity presented itself, and she had someone there to not only give her the idea but to tell her it would work; if the Supreme One hadn't shown up, the idea probably would never have crossed her mind). She's also expressed a few moral limits: concerns about excessive cruelty to animals, for example, or her disbelief that Drakken would steal a wheelchair from a disabled kid. I personally think that, despite what she tries to show, she's probably not evil at heart. I think, if it came down to it, she'd pick morals over profit, choose to save people than kill them. After all, you know what they say about 'Once a hero.'

I agree with you 100 percent. As I said earlier, Shego is not a truly evil person. Sure, her morals are a bit iffy and she has a slightly unorthodox way of doing things, but she does not possess a malignant spirit. Every time she and Kim fight, it is Drakken who gives the order (for the first three seasons anyway), and the few times Shego has attacked Kim on her own she was angry. Even Kim does stuff she regrets when she's angry. Shego honestly believes that what she does is right, if not to other people, to herself. She has to draw the line somewhere, and she's more of a fallen angel than a merc. Because mercenaries are ruthless and have nothing but profit in mind. They'd kill their own mother for the right price. But Shego has principles, and if she's ever killed anybody no one's pinned it on her. It's all about how far one is willing to go. Shego is willing to bend the rules a bit more than Kim. That's all.

deathstlker713 wrote:

To end my rant, no, Kigo may not be outrightly suggested by the show, and almost certainly never be done in cannon. But there's enough there for creative people to grab hold of and run with, and boy, have we. I think the show leaves open the feasible possibility of a friendship between Kim and Shego (wouldn't that just be SO like Disney?), and while we all wait for that to happen, Kigo fans will continue to read between the lines to spout out fanfics and other creations. The thing about it is, it takes thinking to write a good story on a 'read-between-the-lines' relationship, finding meaning in such little moments. Whatever anyone says, there is good chemistry between the two characters (I'm not talking romance, but interaction, the way they act and react with each other is unique and interesting). It was the chemistry between them that first made me interested not only in this fandom, but in the show in general. Kigo takes that chemistry, throws in some creativity, and builds. That's why I like it so much... as a writer, I just love to build like this: from the ground up, with two wonderful characters to work with.

What initially attracted me to KiGo stories was the tremendous amount of thought some writers were willing to give it. There were too many people on the K/R side who didn't even try and just rested on the laurels of others, while only a select few bothered to innovate and contribute anything worthwhile to that ship. Of course, the same can be said of KiGo, but my KiGo story required so much length to be remotely believable that it looks as though I will pass 60,000 words. The chapter I'm working on right now is already over 8500 words and I'm still not done. It's definitely my best work.

To me, fanfiction is all about interpretation. A good writer takes what they from the canon, puts his/her own spin on them, and adds a few things of his/her own. I'm glad to see I'm not the only writer who understands this. I'd love to read some of your work. Is it possible you could provide a link so I could check it out? I leave very detailed and thoughtful reviews. Thank you for sharing your opinion. If only everyone could be this rational.
    Edited on 02/16/2007 8:46am
    Edited 3 total times.

shabahh

[144]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 14
    So I'm irrational if I don't Kigo? Or that I don't think about it?

I really don't get that statement.

beeftony

[145]Feb 16, 2007
    I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the bashers.

deathstlker713

[146]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Glad to know my rambling is appreciated. ^_^ As it is, I actually do not have any of my Kigo stories posted anywhere. They're works in progress, as I am relatively new as a contributer to the fanbase (I've been a Kigo fan for quite a while in the way of reading the stories, but only recently turned my attentions to it as a writer). I'm loving every moment of it, though, on the basis of the thought it requires; it's a nice change from pairings so common that everything's been done and now you're just doing it again your own way (no offense meant to anyone by this statement; I don't refer to any pairing in particular, or even any show. It's just that the stories I've done before never challenged my abilities as much as Kigo stories do).

As soon as I have enough done to begin posting (I like to make sure I'm far enough on the story that I know that the plan is working well and I'll be able to continue the plot idea through to an end), I'll post links. It shouldn't be too long; I think I've hit on one that's working for me. And I will fully appreciate reviews. Feedback helps me improve. ^_^ I'll make sure to read your fics, too, and I will review as well if you'd like.

beeftony

[147]Feb 16, 2007
    Oh, I love reviews. I've only written one KiGo (the rest is K/R), but it's LONG. I just posted Chapter 13, bringing the word count to 56,324. And I've still got two more chapters and an epilogue left to write. It's called The Silence. Just a warning that it's rated M. Chapter 5 gets a little. . . hot.

deathstlker713

[148]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 4
    Long is good. Long means more to read. ^_^ Unfortunately, I tend to get so caught up in reading - like now, I'm stuck on Allaine's "Unacceptable Sitch" series - that I forget to write. ~_~ So it might take me a bit to get to it, since I'm working on this story myself, but I promise, I will eventually read it.
    I feel the need to add, I have nothing against the Kim/Ron pairing. In show, sure, I'll go with it, though I think they make better friends, but that's just me. I just like Kigo out of cannon, though I do hold out hope that they will eventually develop an on-show friendship.

Ross0855

[149]Feb 16, 2007

deathstlker713 wrote:
    Long is good. Long means more to read. ^_^ Unfortunately, I tend to get so caught up in reading - like now, I'm stuck on Allaine's "Unacceptable Sitch" series - that I forget to write. ~_~ So it might take me a bit to get to it, since I'm working on this story myself, but I promise, I will eventually read it. I feel the need to add, I have nothing against the Kim/Ron pairing. In show, sure, I'll go with it, though I think they make better friends, but that's just me. I just like Kigo out of cannon, though I do hold out hope that they will eventually develop an on-show friendship.
    Ya I would like to see Kim and Shego become friends which might actually happen on show. Season 4 so far is showing a slight personality change with Shego. We are seeing different feelings out of Shego. Like from what it looks like a slight attraction to Senior Jr. Shego actually not looking forward to facing Kim. Guess she got the drift that she will aways lose to Kim even though she puts up a good fight. If we were to see Shego and Kim become friends on the show it will have to be Shego that will have to change the most though.
    :
    Next, an often-debated topic, but I will just blurt it out, as I am wont to do, as fact. Shego goes easy on Kim. She does. The girl can shoot plasma from her hands and slice through solid steel. Are we really to believe her aim is that terrible and the claws that can scar metal can't break skin? Only once has she ever hurt Kim (in the movie So the Drama), and even that, considering distance, fource, and her physical abilities, was nothing more than a mere scratch, barely anything at all. I said no specifics, but for the purposes of example (and I think this has been used before, but I am merely reiterating), there is one instance where Shego cut through a steel beam, severing one part of it, which Kim proceeded to grab to use as a shield/weapon. Now, Shego had just sliced it once, she could easily do it again, no problem. But instead, Kim is perfectly able to block every one of Shego's blows with that same metal rod, and it never even got a dent. Basic premise to be gained from this? Shego doesn't want Kim to get hurt.

Exactly. Shego could have snapped Kim like a twig if she wanted to. I think it's because Shego sees so much of herself in Kim that it feels as though she's not hurting the redhead, but herself. I think that subconsciously she wants Kim to win, if only to prove to herself that there's still hope for those who have not chosen to go down her path. She would never admit this of course, but I think that it provides an interesting insight into Shego's character. Shego is human, and she is capable of feeling real emotion. She can't bring herself to hurt a person who reminds her so much of who she used to be. This fact alone is not enough to justify a romantic relationship between the two, but it is definitely a contributing factor.

Ya I agree slighty that Shego goes easy on Kim but I dont think she goes easy on her totally. Just slightly. I dont think that its Shego that decides to go slightly easy on her but the creators actually. You dont want to just see from Shego just her Plasma or whatever that is that comes through her hands now do you?

Shego does use her Plasma so its not like that she doesnt use it. We see her use it in season 4 so its not just them fighting karate style all the time which is what I think the creators want to show more than just Kim having a dodge fest of Shegos plasma attacks. She could use it more of course just like any villian can be more on the ruthless side as well.

Now let me take this to another insight here of Shego going easy on Kim. Since this show is also to attract all ages they cant have Shego being to bad now can they.

Maybe Shego thinks using these Plasma attacks wont work out since everytime we see her using it on Kim Kim just dodges it just like anything else we see from her. Im pretty sure it takes a nice amount of energy out of Shego to use this type of attack as well. If it were just that easy to Shego we would be seeing super plasma attacks out of Shego instead of these small ones that do come out of Shego.

I think if Shego wants to actually beat Kim she would want to do it in a way where it will drown Kims superiority (from a fighting stand point)Kim has shown to Shego at every corner instead of doing it cheaply. Im sure Shego views Kim as a challenge and as a fair fight and would want to beat her in a fair fight so that it will show that Shego is superior to Kim.

beeftony

[150]Feb 17, 2007
    I'd just like to announce that I'm now a member of Slashhaven. I decided to check it out to expand my mind and further arm myself for this discussion. I must say, the people over there are quite friendly.

Dedwyre

[151]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 3
    I'm just going to pop in and say that the fact that this thread even exists, much less that it's a sticky, diturbs me to no end.

beeftony

[152]Feb 17, 2007
    I didn't pin this because I created it. This thread dates back to before I was editor. I pinned it in light of the thread's popularity. In case you didn't notice, it has the highest post count of any thread on this forum. This is a very relevant issue, and to say it just "disturbs" you without giving any reason other than the implied: "You guys are a bunch of pervs" disturbs me. You're lucky I don't delete your post. Bashers derail the entire conversation.
    Edited on 02/17/2007 11:00pm

Ross0855

[153]Feb 17, 2007
    Dedwyre wrote:
    I'm just going to pop in and say that the fact that this thread even exists, much less that it's a sticky, diturbs me to no end.

Even though I agree with the sentiment of not liking the idea of a Kigo relationship there are other ways than just popping in and bashing other peoples oppinions on the subject.

Otherwise no need to go bashing for some people actaully liking the idea. You can offer a better oppinion than what you were implying dude.

It will give a better idea of what people think of you if you repost your thoughts of this thread in a nonbashing type of way instead of how you did post here.

beeftony

[155]Feb 17, 2007
    Did you hear a word I said? I give a fair warning the first time, then I start deleting. I won't stand for this sort of abuse. Things were going really great until the bashers showed up.

beeftony

[156]Feb 18, 2007
    Okay, so I've been checking out Slashhaven (it's a great site), and I came across a thread called KiGo Evidence. I don't buy any of it, but it's interesting to say the least. It just goes to show that some people have too much time on their hands. It's all about interpretation. I'll let you form your own opinions about it.

Zokolov

[157]Feb 19, 2007

Slashaven...I have to check it out...Is that somekind of KiGo site?

beeftony

[158]Feb 19, 2007
    It's THE KiGo site. A lot of people from ffnet are also members over there.

kitty_girl_123

[159]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 33
    Can I change my vote? They grow on you!

beeftony

[160]Feb 22, 2007
    I don't think you can change your vote in the poll, but... what should I put you down for? Glad to see some people are finally coming around.

And yeah, it's true. They do grow on you. Only four days on Slash Haven and already I'm seeing subtext everywhere. I'm even seeing subtext that isn't KiGo. I won't go into too many details, but if you look at it from a certain perspective (a dirty-minded perspective), you can see hints of Ron/Barkin in Ill Suited. Of course, this may just be because I have a sick, sick mind. To quote Tom Lehrer: "When correctly viewed, everything is lewd."
    Edited on 02/23/2007 7:40am
    Edited 2 total times.