Kim Possible

Grande Size Me

Aired Daily 1:30 AM Mar 03, 2007 on Disney Channel

7.2
  • One of the funnier episodes

Ron decides to prove Mr. Barkin wrong by eating only Bueno Nacho for now on after Mr. Barkin declares it unhealthy. (To Ron Bueno Nacho is However it turns out toward the end that Mr. Barkin and even Kim were right. Meanwhile Jack Hench is trying to sell/advertise a device that alters the molecular density of matter. Kim is now stuck with an overweight Ron who later becomes a Hulk like giant. Even the villains were concerned for Ron's weight gain and apparent declining health. The real golden parts are the scenes with multiple villains especially when they are all pursuing Kim and her brothers to get the device she stole from HenchCo.
  • The Kim Possible version of a preachy public service announcement. A cute copout, or acute copout, however you prefer to read it.

When Ron has to take a freshman health class he becomes convinced there's a conspiracy to corrupt impressionable young minds because Mr. Barkin tells the students that Bueno Nacho is unhealthy. When Ron finds himself constantly bombarded by talk of healthy eating he takes it upon himself to counteract the conspiracy by making a documentary about how healthy he is as a result of eating nothing but Grande Sized Bueno Nacho meals (a la "Super Size Me"). Predictably, as Ron's weight steadily increases his general health steadily declines to the point where he falls asleep in class, has trouble catching his breath and becomes mentally slower.

When Kim and Ron infiltrate Hencho to stop an auction of the latest super weapon, the Molecular Transducer, Ron's extra weight causes him to fall through an air duct into a vat of butterscotch flavored mutation agent named Project Titan. Ron’s "dumb skill" takes a hand as the gathered villains surround Ron to henpeck him about his weight and they are sufficiently distracted for Kim to grab the Molecular Transducer and make a getaway.

Unfortunately for Ron the poor quality of food available at Bueno Nacho is exactly what Project Titan needs to start taking effect. He starts growing larger, not just in waist size but in height as well, and his attitude worsens to the point where he becomes completely out of character by being rude to Kim and mean to children. As Kim is delivering the Molecular Transducer to Global Justice, Ron eats his final Naco. The Naco tips the balance and gives Project Titan what it needs to complete Ron's mutation into a giant scabby stupid eating machine and he goes on a rampage to find more unhealthy food.

(Copout alert!) Ron's new giant size adds to his "dumb skill" as his rampage inadvertently interferes with the villains who are all chasing Kim to try to steal the Molecular Transducer. The episode reaches it climax as Kim and the Tweebs chase Ron through a mini golf course shooting a variety of healthy foods into his mouth. The healthy food has the desired effect and Ron is inexplicably transformed back to his former self, even shedding the extra weight he had gained prior to falling into the Project Titan mutation goo. Ron learns his lesson and everything is back to normal.

Bleckh.

The only redeeming qualities of this episode (entertainment wise) were some clever dialogue, and a few cute visual gags. Clever dialogue and visual gags are to be expected from any episode of KP, and in this one they were few and far between - certainly not enough to save the episode. It's a sad indication of quality that the only line that made me laugh out loud was "Ron smash!"

When Kim and Ron infiltrate Hencho to stop an auction of the latest super weapon, the Molecular Transducer, Ron's extra weight causes him to fall through an air duct into a vat of butterscotch flavored mutation agent named Project Titan. Ron's "dumb skill" takes a hand as the gathered villains surround Ron to henpeck him about his weight and they are sufficiently distracted for Kim to grab the Molecular Transducer and make a getaway.

Bleckh.

• Ron eats nothing but Bueno Nacho from now on.

When Ron finds out he has to take health class, Ron has to go to class. Ron's health class teacher tells Ron that fast-food joints (Cow and Chow, Bueno Nacho, etc.) are good sometimes food but no every single day. Ron decides he will eat nothing but Bueno Nacho from now on. Kim also went to Bueno Nacho, but had a Kablamos salad instead. Kim wanted Ron to take a bite, but Ron refused. Then after eating nothing but Bueno Nacho from now on, Ron gets overweight. When Ron gets in class, he rests through class. Then Kim and Ron have to go on a misson to stop the villans at Henchco. Ron falls into a tank full of butterscotch when he falls through the air vent. Then Kim Possible has to stop Ron from eating too much junk food. I gave it a 8.0 (Great).
  • Nothing new, but it is still good.

This episode was something I am sure you have seen on tv before. A character gets overweight and their life turns for the worse. Even though this episode plot line has been done before it was able to work well with the KP universe. Now for the pros and cons. One thing I liked about this episode was in the beginning when there was a flash back about Ron paddle balling. I loved how Rufus sounded and I still laugh every time I watch that part. And as always the interactions with Barkin and Ron were funny. The only bad thing (besides the plot line being done before) was that Kim didn't seem to really help Ron stop the bad eating habbits until the end. I suppose that writters did that to show that Kim supported Ron through thick and thin. Overall this was a good episode. I gave it and 8.7 because you have seen the plot line before.
  • Well, it was due to happen, with its lack of humor and poor storyline, ‘Grande Size Me’ is officially the first Season Four episode of KP that I didn’t like. No question.

5.9
    This review is going to be relatively short on account of my dislike of hateful reviews being lengthy. So I’m just going to state a few points, spout a few opinions and then wrap it up. The less I have to think about this episode, the better. I can’t stand to see people mutilate themselves by any means, and this was a pretty bad one, and it made Ron look like a pig-headed, oblivious idiot. I’m not blind; I know Ron’s not the brightest or wisest guy around, but this seemed to denounce his intelligence to that of a stubborn seven year-old whose idea of a balanced diet was a naco in each hand. Ron’s a little dumb, but he’s not THAT dumb. And it is hinted that the Titan Project that mutated him caused him to start acting like a jerk, but it was never outright stated, so we’re not sure whether Ron was just being a jerk of his own choice, or whether the chemicals were messing with his brain and making him care about nothing but food. “Ugh, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy!”

All of these deficiencies on Ron’s part might’ve been forgivable if the episode had been funny, but the thing is: It wasn’t. I mean, come on, the ‘Hulk’ rampage across town? Okay, it was funny when Homer did it, but he’s Homer. HE is an idiot; he can actually use that as his excuse.
    There were only three things in these twenty-two minutes of let-down that cheered me up:

One: Ned’s reappearance. Despite his nerdiness, and lack of any presence outside Bueno Nacho (besides the Robot Rumble in ‘Grudge Match’), I like his character. He’s a nice guy who somehow manages to put up with all the eccentricity and calamity going on around him, which comes from being in the same town as a duo of teen heroes. I was glad that he thought enough to warn Ron of the dangers of eating Grande Size and he even stuck around when Ron went mutant.

‘Ron, stop! This isn’t like you!’ (Ron gulps down a vat of melted cheese) ‘Okay, that’s like you.’

Two: The villains’ reactions to the ungainly Ron. When Ron rushed into HenchCo, I honestly expected them to break out laughing, and I really wouldn’t blame them. But instead they seem almost concerned and wonder what he’s been doing to himself. And Three: The end credits. Breaking through the fourth wall and acknowledging the audience can be taxing for certain shows if it’s handled badly. But here, it was only Ron and Rufus who did so, and if it was any two characters ho could face us and do it well, it’d be them. I had to admit that it was funny that everyone else was wondering what the heck he was doing. But that was it. No particularly themed villain, no cavalcade of laugh-til-you’re-red-in-the-face jokes. Just Ron chowing down and making a royal pig out of himself…no, wait, Kim’s right, that IS totally unfair to pigs…
  • grande size me

Ron is learming about healthy eating in health class and he is the only senior in the class and the rest are freshman including jim and tim. he refuses to eat anything but bueno nacho and keeps grande sizing his meals and becomes larger and larger. kim trys to convinvce him not to eat so much junk food but it doesnot work. the more he eats the bigger he gets as well as the angrier he gets. barken can;t even stop him. as the epiosde ends kim must fight off all the bad guys as well as a giant ron who is attacking everyone. she able to return ron to normal with the help of jim and tim using food from the for food groups. a very funny episode.
  • Preachy enough?

5.3
    I think it's somewhat obvious that this show was more than slightly preaching about good eating. Though I do agree that eating properly is necessary, this obvious was a little too obvious. The whole bit with shooting tiny little dabs of healthy food into mutated Ron's mouth to...er..De-mutate him was sort of ridiculous. As was the fact that the only way the chemical could mutate someone was if they ate poorly.

This show is usually well written, but since it is still aimed at twelve year olds, and though I have been watching this since I was twelve and I'm now 17, it could have been slightly more subtle.
  • Ron’s compulsive eating leads to him becoming a giant, on the rampage monster, when he is exposed to toxic chemicals.

When Mr. Barkin begins to teach good eating habits to the kids of Middleton High, this forces Ron to rebel. Believing that it is all just a bunch of hype by the “man”, Ron start eating nothing but Bueno Nacho grande size meals, even starts a documentary called “Grande Size Me”. Of course Ron goes way too far and becomes hideously overweight. It gets worse when he is exposed to some HenchCo. Chemicals and it turns him into a rampaging monster. It’s up to Kim and the Tweebs to save Ron and turn him back into his old self. Basically, “Grande Size Me” is a one joke episode; Ron becomes the Hulk! And while the joke does give a few laughs, unfortunately the lead up to it is hard to watch. I don’t like episodes where Ron acts completely out of character, and in the episode Ron was completely insane. His food addiction is so intense, that he acts like a drug addict. And that is where the episode losses me, because I don’t know about you but I don’t think an addiction is very funny. He eats without thinking of the consequences, believing that he is 100% in the right, and snaps at everyone and everything. Not so funny. Ok, The Hulk stuff was pretty fun, especially the “Ron Smash” phrases. But in the end, the one joke doesn’t make up for the rest of the episode. Another disappointing thing was that they had almost all of the show’s villains and did next to nothing with them. On a side note, it was cool seeing Gemini again. Too bad he didn’t say anything. I guess the episode kind of works as a message episode, don’t eat like a big jerk or you will turn into a giant mechanic, or something like that. “Grande Size Me” made me want to go on a diet.
  • Public Service Announcement

In the 1990s, Sprite aired a commercial featuring basketball icon Grant Hill. It was meant to be a parody of traditional commercials, as every time Hill said a smarmy sales pitch an image of him holding fistfuls of cash popped up in the corner to the sound of a cash register. It was cunning, original, and it worked. It has been called "anti-advertising." Sprite acknowledged the fact that the audience knew Grant Hill was compensated and not unbiased, and by being honest and putting a satirical spin on it, Sprite's revenues increased significantly.

The same principle is at work in this episode. Every so often a network will effectively order the writers of a show to do an episode as a sort of public service announcement, and since KP has always been a satire anyway, they decided to parody those "very special episodes" that everyone rolls their eyes at. It employs the same psychological trick as above, and getting the message across by identifying with the audience was the perfect way to do this in my opinion. Steve Loter himself confirms that it was meant to be a parody. Now, when I took a health class, we talked about more than just what foods we should eat (apparently sex ed falls under "health"), but I understand Disney's reasons for not showing that sort of thing on a children's television show (even though a sizeable portion of viewers are adults). But the whole "wheel of good eating" or "food pyramid" or whatever the hell you want to call it speech is exactly as I remember it. Very few people follow that sort of diet, and I think the writers wanted to emphasize how corny and out of touch with reality it was by having Barkin explain it. As a sidenote, I'm always tickled by Barkin's explanations for why he is substituting. Kudos to whoever came up with the "banana peel" line.

Obviously this episode gets its title from the documentary "Super Size Me," in which the film's director gorges himself on fast food for a month to demonstrate its harmful effects. I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard its message is so heavy-handed it makes Lifetime movies seem hard-hitting and relevant. The same thankfully does not apply to this episode. It's smart, witty, and well written, and even though I could see right through thinly disguised message, what really sold it for me was the satire and shameless deconstruction of cliches that made me fall in love with this show to begin with. Ron's boycott of all things healthy didn't really impress me all that much. I mean, he's been eating like that for the entire show, and yet he never gains a pound. But suddenly he adds a few more Nacos, and he inflates to the size of a Goodyear blimp! This had a lot to do with Project Titan, I know, but how he gained that much weight so fast when food has been shown to pretty much pass straight through him was an area in which the writers were slacking off. They could have at least given us some explanation, but for some reason his metabolism has slowed down. Then again it may be all the running he does on missions that keeps him fit and they just had a dry spell of take-over-the-world schemes. But it would still take several weeks or even months for someone with Ron's metabolism to get that big, with or without being affected by a supersoldier program. I know this is a cartoon, but I'd like it to be at least semi-realistic. Fred Willard as Jack Hench provides even more laughs ("What happened to the computer virus?" "It got deleted. By a computer virus." Genius), and the infomercial parody was the best. They managed to lampoon almost every aspect of those infernal paid programs that are good for nothing more than a few laughs, including the overly merry assistant, the canned applause ("Who's clapping?"), and of course, the unsuspecting volunteer. All they're missing is an exercise machine and a set of knives that never need sharpening. Imagine the profits HenchCo would make then! :D

This is of course a "make a wish" episode in which one lucky fan will get to be animated into the show. In this episode, it was Josh, the kid Ron snaps at at Bueno Nacho when he comments that Ron "eats funny." That's the thing about insertion: the inserted character is almost required to be subjected to ridicule and general rudeness from at least one of the canon characters. Otherwise it's not funny. And believe me, I know what happens when insertion stories go wrong. It usually happens when the inserted character is made out to be better than the usual cast. I don't see too many of those, and for good reason. Cheap shots are always hilarious, though. How many celebrities have had a cameo on "The Simpsons" just to be ridiculed? It's fun to do stuff like that. If you can't laugh at yourself, then any self-insertion you write probably won't be very good. I bet Josh is enthralled that he's even in the episode.

Hulk Ron was amusing to say the least ("Awww, Ron lose pants!" Hilarious), and the method of takedown had me ROFLMFAO ("Where'd he get a crossbow?"). What made it even more hilarious was how the hammer-and-nail approach to delivering the message served to enhance the ridiculousness of it all. And the King Kong reference just floored me. And of course, there was the whole "breaking the fourth wall" bit with Ron at the end ("Who's he talking to?"). Captain Planet, anyone?

This was a very cleverly plotted episode, and it tore just about every "good health" cliche out there to shreds. The writers identified with the audience, and because we feel included, this makes us more inclined to listen.

So why do we complain about the message that contains about as much subtlety as a mallet? Because the problem is not that people don't get that it's supposed to be a satire, but rather the problem is that they DO get it. Sprite's little trick only worked for so long before people got wise. And after being subjected to "anti-advertising" and "cool-advertising" on a daily basis, I see right through the facade. Nice try, Disney, but I'm still going to eat whatever the hell I feel like.
  • People aren't getting the joke. It's not so much a preachy episode, but the writers making lemonade

6.2
    Apparently, Disney put out a mandate that their shows do episodes about good eating. In other words, they handed Bob and Mark a wheel barrel full of lemons.

Tastes like that good old fashioned lemonade!

True, this is by far the weakest of the new episodes to date, but it's still not the worst in the series (that goes to the other episode to feature the mini-golf course)

Right from the beginning, I was laughing. Ron's cry of "LIES" had me in stitches.

Watch carefully when things start seeming preachy. They're mocking the whole "Message Episode" genre.

I was a little bugged by the kid in BN being named "Josh" but then I found out he's a real kid - part of the "Make a Wish" program, and the part was written for him. Really cool on the show's part.

I tend to think of this one as being 'off-canon' but we'll see. Oddly, I'd really like to go to the real world "Bueno Nacho" right about now.
  • A big disappointment - preach and unnecessary.

4.2
    I was so disappointed by this episode - it was so preachy! This is Disney channel, not PBS, and I hated that they were paying lip service to healthy eating. Don't misunderstand me. I believe a balanced diet is important, but this is Kim Possible. I want sweet, silly episodes about saving the world, not about the dangers of eating junk food. All that aside, it still wasn't a good episode. The thing that really bugged me was that when Ron changed back into himself, it was the old, thin Ron, not the Ron who had gained a ton of weight. If they were really serious about healthy eating, they should have had Ron work off the weight.
  • The power of reverse psychology; I feel like a double bacon cheeseburger.

4.5
    Forced to take a freshmen level health class (having missed it because of a gag ripped off from "Rappin’ Drakken"), Ron finds himself having to defend his favorite eatery, Bueno Nacho, from substitute Barkin’s dreaded food wheel and his crackpot theory that fast food should be enjoyed in moderation. Declaring the teacher’s manifesto to be nonsense (and who wouldn’t?), Ron decides to make a movie about how a diet of nothing but Bueno Nacho - grande-sized, of course - is perfectly healthy.

Meanwhile, there’s a gathering of villains salivating over the Molecular Inducer being offered by Jack Hench. Kim and Ron investigate, but his added girth lands him (literally) in Project Titan, an experiment meant to produce super henchman but, under particular circumstances, results in something much worse. The subject would have to have a diet of fattening foods for it to work, but there’s nothing for Ron to worry about...oh, wait.

The villain scenes are particularly funny, esp. the demonstration of the Inducer. Unfortunately, they are overwhelmed by the main story which, even for a supposedly network-mandated plot, is a wash. Ron’s refusal to acknowledge his deteriorating state ends up truly annoying and that his best friend/girlfriend stands by without doing anything only makes things worse (hasn’t it been made clear that this episode’s Ron can’t or won’t figure this out on his own?). And don’t even get me started on how Ron’s parents should’ve been here to do something about this (shades of "Ron Millionaire", among other turkeys referenced in this episode).

In short, I am not lovin’ it.
  • In my opinion, this episode gets the “Worst Episode of the Series” status. I like the show because it is fresh and funny, but since when did KP become a preschool educational cartoon?

The beginning of the episode was good – Ron started to eat huge amounts of fast food to protect Bueno Naco, and, as usual, went over the line. The way I expected it to end was that Barkin’s words would come true and Ron would start eating healthy to get back into shape.
    What I did not expect to see was Kim turning him back to normal by throwing poultry at him. But the worst scene was with Wade talking about healthy diet and eating an apple to demonstrate.
    The episode was unlike any other in the series, and not in a good way.
    But the good news is that the rest of season 4 episodes are the best I’ve seen in the last 4 years.