Kim Possible

Homecoming Upset

Aired Daily 1:30 AM Aug 11, 2007 on Disney Channel

• I'm not sure where people got "good episode" from Bonnie being an insufferable twit for 22 min with no worthy payoff. Steve Loter said fans would be buzzing from this episode. The only buzz I got was the desire to see Bonnie dead. One of KP's worst.

1.9
    This episode, to use an old football analogy was like "having your team pulling off a well-executed running play, but going the wrong way and scoring a touchdown for the opposing team". Sure there's the odd glimer of entertainment (like Donald Faison, the tv host, Ron as homecoming king the boat chase, and the Kim/Ron stuff) but it's all ruined due to us the viewer having to sit through Bonnie's shrill and annoying character portrayal.

I'm not sure where the VIPs or the writer got it in their heads that building Bonnie up as an annoying and unlikable b*%#h for the entire episode without a satisfying payoff somehow = a compelling episode. "It doesn't"
    Throughout the episode, Bonnie annoying me for the entire episode left me feeling like "this better have a reward for sitting through her "nails on a chalkboard" annoyance." "but it didn't", leaving me wondering what the writer/VIP's thought was supposed to be appealing about this episode?

To be fair there are at least two ways to turn this episode around and make this episode concept work:
    1.) To expose Bonnie as the fraud she is in front of the school.
    2.) To redeem Bonnie's character to a certain degree after what she did to Kim and Ron, especially after Kim & Ron had to put up with her.

But since the episode didn't do either of these things the episode is a failure. And don't give me this bs excuse that Bonnie not graduating (in Graduation) is the payoff, BECAUSE IT'S NOT. Wasting 22 minutes of her being a whiny ass runt just for a "supposed" payoff that happens in another episode doesn't make the episode any less of a waste.
    You can't really do #1 because it would take away Bonnie's purpose as a character (to keep the series grounded, Kim needs one primary antagonist that she must suffer instead of sucker punch. But when we get 2 or 3 scenes of her, her schtick becomes irritating). My suggestion for #2 you have her apologize to Ron about what she did to him. When Ron asks Bonnie if things between him and her are cool, she'd respond with "yeah sure." Then he would ask the same question about things between her and Kim, and her response would be "that'll never happen."
    The above mentioned accomplishes two things, it shows Bonnie does have a range of emotion, instead of being just a one dimensional jerk all the time; it also keeps her true to her character as being the one person that will always hate Kim and get on her nerves.

This episode seems to be remembered mostly for the shock value of Bonnie kissing Ron then of any actual story happening. If watching Wrestling under Vince Russo's influence has taught me anything, it's that shock value alone "does not inspire or create resonance". Also the ending with Bonnie not changing or learning anything felt like a swerve. Once again "swerves" (along with shock value) alone "do not inspire or create resonance". You need a good story first, and that story needs to remain intact. I'm not sure whose idea of a good story this was, because it was far from it.

Seriously all this episode does is prove how much of an absolute b*%ch Bonnie is. But we as viewers don't need massive amounts of Bonnie screen time to reinforce this, because we already know it.

I still don't know what it is the writers set out to do in this episode, but this episode just left me with an urge of wanting to see Bonnie get run over by a semi truck. Why am I supposed to give a rats a$# about Bonnie being all whiny about wanting a boyfriend. Why is this an episode that the vip's were so hyped up about? This episode just bomb's and it's all because of Bonnie.

If the premise was mainly to go around watching Ron trying to get Bonnie a new boyfriend, then that's a really dumb premise, and here's why:
    -Bonnie is not a likeable character, nor is she an inherently interesting one. So getting viewers to sympathize with her/or care about her situation won't work if she has no desire to change (even in the slightest) especially in mega b*#@h mode, why should my opinion on Bonnie change if she's not willing to change? And why should I care about a plot revolving around her if all she does is act like the queen of b@#%hes for 22 min.
    The writer just spends the entire episode building up Bonnie to be the most cringeworthy, most repellent character on the show that I just wanted punch her, or for someone else to.

Some people have defended this episode saying that there's development for Bonnie, but that's where they're still wrong, as I once again point to the unofficial Boyd Kirkland rule "Good story telling always has to begin with characters you care about and can relate to on some level. If you don't have that, who cares what their powers are, or what happens to them?"
    While Bonnie doesn't have superpowers I'm not given a reason to care about Bonnie at all, so why should I care about what happens to her? There's a difference between development and actually caring about a character. Without the latter, the former is useless.

One of the worst KP episodes of all time. Episodes like this in the last half of season 4 are why kp's fan base has taken a drop since the last episode of the series aired.
  • Although full of action and plot, the way the two were presented felt lacking to me...

Let me begin by saying that this definitely was one of the better episodes of this, the last season of Kim Possible. There was plenty of action throughout the entire episode, which, with this season, was somewhat of a surprise to be honest. The episode began right off with a battle with Killigan, and quickly shifted to the revealing of the Homecoming Court and the ensuing fallout. The pivotal part of the episode would beyond a doubt be when Bonnie kissed Ron. The way Kim handled this moment was one of the most forgettable moments in this terrible season. She just went along with it like it was just an everyday occurance. Kim just going along with Bonnie's break down (or anything for that matter)? Can you say OOC? The four of them (Ron, Kim, Bonnie, and Wade) each worked throughout the rest of the episode to find Rotiffle, a missing computer scientist, and find Bonnie a new boyfriend. First of all, why the hell should any of them help her out after all she has done to them? What has she ever done for you? And of course there was the ending of this episode. Bonnie finds her 'true love', and lives happily ever after (until she gets summer school in the finale anyway). What kind of message is this showing kids? You can steal someone's boyfriend and still get it all your way? Granted Kim beating the living snot out of Bonnie isn't exactly the right message for kids either, but that sure would have made this episode more entertaining. Eh, what do I know?

Overall I'd give this one a seven out of ten.
  • This episode was by far the topping that ruined the Sundae known as season 4. It could've ended better

If the writers were trying to pass the "sometimes the badguys win" message to the viewers... THEY FAILED!

All this episode did was promote cheating, stealing someone else's courting match, and still getting what you don't deserve. If Disney channel won't listen to making a new season, they could at least change the ending of this episode to expose Bonnie as the fraud she is, and give her the punishment she deserves, because...well let's face it, needing summer-school and getting hit in the face with a volleyball just isn't enough. I mean, the Ron and Bonnie kiss just made it worse.Also, Bonnie saying that she was "Superior" even though she cheated...... that really gave me an ulser. As I said before, if Disney Channel won't make a new season, the least they can do is make an alternate ending where Bonnie gets immediate gratification as far as getting what she truely deserves. And if her being teased at home by her sisters was the factor of her being a total b**ch, then that is a poor excuse, since it was only explored once.

It won't kill the disney executives to change the ending to one episode, nore will it rupture the continuity, it'll just make the fans happy... and isn't that what show biz is really about? or did the DisChan execs forget that?
  • When Ron wins Homecoming King, a suprising turn of events occurs when Bonnie wins Homecoming Queen. Bonnie takes this oportunety to make Kim jealouse.

This was by far the best episode in the series so far! There were many plot twists and thats what kept me watching. First, Bonnie tries to make Kim jealouse, then, they find out that she "needs" a new "hotty" because Brick broke up with her. Her crying over him was a bit overly dramatic, but very accurate to us girls reaction to a break up (when its not us ending the relationship). The next twist was that the "kidnapped" scientist was not actually kidnapped but hired by Senor Seniour Juniour to search the personals. Bonnie and Junior are the perfect couple. Kim's reaction to Bonnie kissing Ron (EEEWWW) was both realistic and entertaning. She looked like an agery rino! I was VERY satisfied.
  • When Bonnie makes homecoming queen and Ron homecoming king things get a little scary when Kim starts to become jealous.

OMG! This episode is just another reason not only why I started watching this show, but it's also another reason why this is one of my favorite shows of all time! If I had the physical ability to, I would give this episode of Kim Possible more than 2 thumbs up! Not only is this episode funny as hell, but it's also touching and heart-warming! In my opinion, Homecoming Upset is one of the best episodes created so far! The writters totally had their work cut out for them this time! I know I've said things like this about a million time, but this episode truly takes the cake!
  • A unusual Kim Possible episode

The reason I consider this a special episode, is There is that there was no main villain. The only real villain was Duff Killigen in the opening, Kim Possible is a show that is typically breaks characters into black and white, good and evil. But this episode focused on Bonnie who normally is just an antagonist, and see did play the antagonist in the beginning tonight.

But tonight we saw shades and shades of gray in Bonnie, she was not a one dimensional character, we saw her human side. And we saw a little bit of gray in Senior Senor Junior as well.

I like that this episode dare to be different and broke from the Kim Possible formula of just good and just evil characters.
  • There was a crooked girl, who lived a crooked life...

6.7
    Homecoming hits Middleton High and Ron and Kim are sure favorites for King and Queen. Unfortunately, the (surprise!) rigged voting names Bonnie as Queen. Kim tries to maintain her composure about this...but then, there's a kiss...

I must say that this episode surprised me. As it turns out, I've had Bonnie pegged all wrong. She's not an unpleasant, petty, vindictive monster at all, but a poor, lost and sensitive soul in need of love and affection.

By the way, if you believed even one syllable of the preceding paragraph, then, congratulations: you are ready to complete the necessary paperwork for your purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Everything that Bonnie's haters (guilty as charged) have said about her is brought to bear here: her nasty attitude, her conniving and her concern for no one but herself. And when she starts crying halfway through...come on. Am I the only one who felt like laughing at her...cruelly and loudly? Why should ANY sympathy be expended toward someone who 1) doesn't deserve it and 2) couldn't be bothered to show any to others?

Oh, yes, there is a plot, about how a famed snack blogger (Donald Faison - Turk!) ends up kidnapped and somehow, this ties into a rather youthful - and randy - villain. There were also some good gags with the talk show host.

A good episode, though a double-edged sword: is it more important to be proven right about something like this than to be proven wrong?