Kim Possible

The Mentor of Our Discontent

Aired Daily 1:30 AM Jun 23, 2007 on Disney Channel

• An episode that could've, and should've been so much better. (A line I've used many times to describe most episodes from the 2nd half of Season 4.)

I thought this episode was a disappointment, it wasn't bad or anything, but given how much Frugal Lucre was wasted here, it's still frustrating to watch. With a Drakken/Frugal Lucre teamup the jokes should've practicly wrote themselves, but for some jarring reason they didn't. Frugal Lucre, just didn't feel like Frugal Lucre at all, he should've been annoying the hell out of Drakken the whole time, he should've been pressing buttons that he has no idea what they do, and going off on rants that Drakken tries to tune out (like back in prison). But it just felt like his dialogue/characterization was watered down and merely used for the sake of plot advancement without the writer having any sort of fun with the premise.

I remember Tom Hart mentioning that he had trouble with editing this one, and it somewhat shows. It just felt like Henry Gilroy (the episode's writer) just didn't get the character of Frugal Lucre at all, and the end result just left me wondering why the hell was Kurt Weldon not the one writing this episode? Because by all rights he should've been writing this one, and not that lame Professor Dementor episode. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed some of Henry Gilroy's work in the past (Kid Stuff from Justice League Unlimited is one of the funniest episodes from JLU's run), but here he never even gets the plot off the ground. Also Artie Smarty was really annoying, maybe not as annoying as cousin Shawn, Prince Wally, or Bonnie Rockwaller; but still he got on this viewers nerves one too many times. And don't even get me started on how he ended up saving everyone.

There are a couple positives to be found here. The fight scenes, the storyboarding, and the animation were all fantastic (this episode being one of Hanho Heung Up's best looking episodes from season 4), nice to hear J.K. Simmons again (hard to believe that that's his voice), I liked the Kim-Ron moment at the end, though Shego stole the episode in the end credits.
    It's a shame that the plot wasn't better executed, if it was, this could've been a belter. Sadly it wasn't.

Again, not bad or anything. Just an episode that failed to live up to its potential.
  • A long way from Shakespeare, let me tell you.

Ron is confronted by Smarty Mart owner Martin Smarty. He thinks he's fired, but the Mart mogul simply wants Ron to watch over Martin's insufferable young son, Arty. Meanwhile, Frugal Lucre manages to get out of prison and his first stop is Drakken's lair and, like a hangnail, it's hard to get rid of him.

Among this episode's many features: Rufus traveling through Smarty Mart pneumatic mail system, Shego in a silly-looking blonde wig, a waste of two very amusing supporting players (Lucre and the elder Smarty), the cousin Shawn-like Arty saving the day and the fact that Kim (the nominal star of the show) is barely in the episode (would that this happened in "Exchange"...).

Overall, this episode is a lot like ketchup between two slices of bread: it's something to eat, but it doesn't really fill you up and it's not very nourishing, either.
  • Ron and Drakken become mentors: Ron to Matrin Smarty's son Arty; and Drakken to Frugal Lucre

If there was one thing I disliked intensely about this episode, it was Arty Smarty. I hate spoiled brats, and Arty is a perfect example. Ugh. Still, Arty served a purpose in the story, which is why I give the episode high marks. Arty was a necessary evil.

Fugal Lucre was hilarious in all his interactions, and was a good guest villain, as well as in keeping with the SmartyMart theme. Shego coaching Lucre to get on Drakken's nerves, and Lucre not realizing this, is in keeping with past behavior for both of them.

Speaking of Shego, we learn two things about her. First, she likes hydrangeas. Second, she is golddigger at heart, or at least has strong leanings in that direction, as evidenced by the end credit scene.

Regarding Kim and Ron's kiss at the end - we were robbed! Still, the cutaway from the kiss, which involved lip-to-lip contact for the first time since "So the Drama", serves to heighten anticipation for later episodes. So I can live with it.
  • I love this episode

I love this episode for many reason. First of all it was reallu funny, like at the end credits when Shego is with Martin Smarty but when Martin Smarty's son Arty or however you spell his name, walks in saying hi dad hi new mom to her she just walks out and didn't care how much money he was worth. LOL. :D. I also like it when Mr. Barkin was going crazy with the SB robots. But I have to say my favorite part of the episode was when Kim and Ron finally kissed. To bad we get to see it but it was better then nothing and we will see them kiss in "Oh no! Yono." :D.