Kim Possible

The Mentor of Our Discontent

Aired Daily 1:30 AM Jun 23, 2007 on Disney Channel

• An episode that could've, and should've been so much better. (A line I've used many times to describe most episodes from the 2nd half of Season 4.)

I thought this episode was a disappointment, it wasn't bad or anything, but given how much Frugal Lucre was wasted here, it's still frustrating to watch. With a Drakken/Frugal Lucre teamup the jokes should've practicly wrote themselves, but for some jarring reason they didn't. Frugal Lucre, just didn't feel like Frugal Lucre at all, he should've been annoying the hell out of Drakken the whole time, he should've been pressing buttons that he has no idea what they do, and going off on rants that Drakken tries to tune out (like back in prison). But it just felt like his dialogue/characterization was watered down and merely used for the sake of plot advancement without the writer having any sort of fun with the premise.

I remember Tom Hart mentioning that he had trouble with editing this one, and it somewhat shows. It just felt like Henry Gilroy (the episode's writer) just didn't get the character of Frugal Lucre at all, and the end result just left me wondering why the hell was Kurt Weldon not the one writing this episode? Because by all rights he should've been writing this one, and not that lame Professor Dementor episode. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed some of Henry Gilroy's work in the past (Kid Stuff from Justice League Unlimited is one of the funniest episodes from JLU's run), but here he never even gets the plot off the ground. Also Artie Smarty was really annoying, maybe not as annoying as cousin Shawn, Prince Wally, or Bonnie Rockwaller; but still he got on this viewers nerves one too many times. And don't even get me started on how he ended up saving everyone.

There are a couple positives to be found here. The fight scenes, the storyboarding, and the animation were all fantastic (this episode being one of Hanho Heung Up's best looking episodes from season 4), nice to hear J.K. Simmons again (hard to believe that that's his voice), I liked the Kim-Ron moment at the end, though Shego stole the episode in the end credits.
    It's a shame that the plot wasn't better executed, if it was, this could've been a belter. Sadly it wasn't.

Again, not bad or anything. Just an episode that failed to live up to its potential.