Kindred: The Embraced Forums

FOX (ended 1996)

What do you think were the strengths and weaknesses of Kindred:The Embraced?

koberfan

[1]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 28
    The strengths were the actors and location shooting! The weaknesses were poorly written dialogue and direction. Your opinions?
    Edited on 06/01/2007 9:27am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vhsiv

[2]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 1

I entirely missed this show when it premiered in '96 as I was totally wound up in real-life stuff and not necessarily bothering with television at the time. There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding the show it's flawed marketing – apparently it was marketed as "From the Creator of 'Dynasty'" -- and Aaron Spelling's tampering, as he might not have wanted any shows competing with his 'Beverly Hills 90210'. Fox apparently lost an audience just by mis-marketing the thing as something it was not.

And 'Bad dialogue' is just hitting one the nail on the head. Sometimes it was just painful to listen to. There seemed to be an emphasis on giving the actors Soap-Opera style 'zingers' instead of natural dialogue – every other conversation was a dramatic confrontation, instead of an effort to communicate.

Additionally, C. Thomas Howell was a bad headliner though his role seemed to diminish as the 8-episodes went on and he was quickly eclipsed by Mark Frankel, though.

It also seems that the producers were uncertain of how much the show was meant to be 'genre' and how huch it was meant to be 'analogy'. It was almost embarrasing to watch the Brujos take up their Mafia poses during the first couple of episodes. But this show aired a full year before 'Buffy' cam to fruition and 3 years before 'The Sopanos', so it is inevtable that mistakes would be made.

Short of the large cast, this seems to be the exact kind of show that the SciFi Channel might put together -- talky, minimal SFX, with the pretense of some high-concept genre programming -- I suppose it's no surprise that the show is turning up on that network for a short summer run.

I suppose I should also add that I know nothing about the role-playing game, VtM.

Edited on 07/09/2007 8:28am

koberfan

[3]Jul 14, 2007
    Great review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carycomic

[4]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 13

I never saw this series on Fox, during its original run. And, I missed the first half-hour of the pilot's telecast on SCIFI Channel. However, I thought the actors performed quite well with the material they were given. Especially, the ill-fated portrayer of Julian Luna!

If not for his tragic motorcycle accident, the show might have been renewed for, at least, one more season. But, the show was apparently mishandled by Aaron Spelling, who was not used to Gothic-style soap operas in 1996. Maybe if he had collaborated with someone like Dan Curtis (of "Dark Shadows" fame), it would have been a different story. Alas! It wouldn't be until "Charmed" (to which he evidently applied the knowledge gained from his mistakes with KTE) that he would have any luck with angsty fantasy dramas.

Now, as of last night (07/13/07), it appears SCIFI channel will be alternating reruns of the remaining episodes with reruns of "Wolf Lake." That, I wouldn't mind, at all. It would renew my hope that they might also eventually show reruns of "Vampire High," and Quinn Martin's original version of "Invaders."

Edited on 07/14/2007 9:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Jshaw71

[5]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 2
    unforantelly i think a lot of people may have totally missed this series, it only had 6 episodes aried, and by the time it had come and went it was simply too fast for it to get any support, and the death lunas character made things worse, the main thing that killed this, was probally all the dialouge, yes, but it was good dailouge.

i heard the series was supposed to be directed by chris carter, but somehow spelling was able to get it away from carter, i wonder what the series would have been like even before the sucess of the x files, it seems like this show was doomed before it even started airing, it's too bad, i think it was a good show

Carycomic

[6]Jul 20, 2007
    It is now obvious that my assumption was wishful thinking. Just boring, back-to-back reruns of SG1, from 6-9PM, tonight. My apologies for unintentionally raising any false hopes. :-(

koberfan

[7]Jul 28, 2007
    I,too would love to see the "Invaders" again!

Carycomic

[8]Oct 18, 2007
    Good news! SciFi Channel showed the entire first season of "Kindred: The Embraced," yesterday! And, they did the same for "Wolf Lake, today. As stated elsewhere, they must be trying to get into the Halloween spirit a little early. Which is why Friday's 8-4 marathon should (ideally) be the American debut of "Vampire High."

george91910us

[9]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 54

This series major weakness was that it was ired on FOX. Fox never had patience of under-performing series.

The strength was the cast. I have only seen three episodes so I can't judge the writing which is a key to any successful series.

cybersilver71

[10]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 3

I thought that it was awesome the first time that I saw it. The weakness was when they were going to go into production of a full series and the main actor, Mark Frankel passed away in a mototcycle accident. I wish that they would try again. There has to be another person in the world that could fill Mark Frankel's shoes. You can see all the episodes on tvshack.net. They have all of the episodes there. But the question remains are the actors that played the parts too old for a series now?

Carycomic

[11]Feb 27, 2008
    I think Dylan McDermott would make a great Julian Luna. Having played a defense lawyer on THE PRACTICE, for so many seasons, he shouldn't find it hard to portray a different kind of ruthless bloodsucker!