Kindred: The Embraced

FOX (ended 1996)

Kindred: The Embraced Fan Reviews (19)

• Kindred-The Embraced was a unique take on age old Vampire mythology. A series that was years ahead of its time.

Kindred-The Embraced was a series that was never given a chance to grow in popularity. It was a unique retelling of that age old Vampire mythology. It presented an actual sub-culture of Vampires that lived among humans in The Masquerade-a series of laws and customs that governed the behavior of The Kindred(the term the Vampires used for their own description). Mark Frankel,in the role of the Vampire Prince,Julian Luna,was perfection. He radiated just the right amount of mystery and sex appeal(as we know all good Vampires must). Frankel's best quality was his use of his eyes to express his emotional torment. Not many actors have ever done this better. Jeff Kober,as Daedalus,the ancient Nosferatu,was beyond amazing. Kober brought the character a sense of world weariness,along with a heartbreaking vulnerability. Deadalus could be ruthless when called for,but he had a side that longed for love just as the rest of the human-looking Kindred. Mr. Kober,knew his character well and exactly how to bring Daedalus off without creating a vampiric stereotype. Kindred-The Embraced was about a decade ahead of its time. If appearing now,series probably would have a much better chance at a longer run. It is also sweet fodder for a large screen treatment-if only the folks in Hollywood could keep to the original television essence and theme. The series is out on DVD-get it. You will not be disappointed!!!
  • A new take on the vampire genre. In San Fransico, 5 clans of vampires work together to keep the masquerade while contributing to society.

As a fan of the vampire genre, I enjoyed this show and thought it wasn't given a fair shot, canceled after 8 episodes.

Kindred: The Embraced centers around 5 vampire "clans" in modern day San Francisco. The Ventrue are the leaders and businessmen of the masquerade in SF. The Gangrel are the muscles. The Toreador are the artists, the Nosferatu are the most like the "typical" vampire and are the most ancient of the clans. The Bruja are the thugs, much like the "mob". Julian Luna the "progenitor, or head, of the Ventrue and the Prince of the city. Julian ended the clan war and keeps peace.

Julian's biggest rival is Eddie, progenitor of the Bruja. He and his clan despise Julian and want to reinstate the clan war and make Eddie prince. Caught in the middle of all this are Caitlin, a reporter with the San Fransisco Chronicle, Frank, a SF detective and Sasha, Julian's niece. Julian and Caitlin fall in love which makes her an automatic target for Julian's enemies. Frank's lover used to be Julian's as well, and when she died, Frank made it his mission to destroy Julian. Eventually they agreed to an uneasy truce in order to bring down Eddie. Sasha and the progenitor of the Gangrel clan, Cash, fall in love. Julian gives Cash permission to embrace her, however, the Bruja beat him to it.

There is also a sub-plot involving Julian, Caitlin and Lillie, the progenitor of the Toreador clan. She and Julian were also lovers. Then Julian fell for Caitlin and Lillie was left out in the cold. Although she could have had anyone else, she was extremely jealous of Caitlin. She enjoyed being at the side of the Prince of SF. Kindred: The Embraced ended it's run with a storyline focusing on Julian's past as a assassin for his mentor Archon. On Archon's orders, he slaughtered many Kindred. He was targeted by one of victims who survived. When he returns to his mansion, he finds that Archon has been killed as revenge. An enjoyable series. The clan idea was original and interesting.
  • a show about vampires living like normal among us ,but battling with other vampire clans .and the prince who is trying to keep control, while others are plotting his destruction.while he falls in love with a mortal who can never find out about them.

Kindred The Embraced well i bought the dvd watched the first episode and thought great storyline, but effects were poor . watched the second episode and much better, by the end i wanted to see more.for its time it was pretty well done, think how it would look if made today,It would be awsome.
    i feel moonlight took a few ideas from this show and look how popular it is. (vampires,girl reporter and immortal falls in love with mortal)
    I just think having the different clans and the politics was great, as vampires are meant to have different poweres and strenghs.
    I say Kindred the embraced was a brilliant show for its time "bring on more vamp shows "
  • Good premise fauled by incompetence all around. This is best described as half hearted mixture of some chechkoslovakian gypsy drama and love soap opera. The whole "masquerade" seems kind of a stamped upon make believe even the actors don't take seriously.

Watched 3 episodes and that's all I can take. Have played the RPG game "Vampire: the masquerade" which this series is supposedly based on. The strength of the RPG was its strong athmosphere and therefore this series should have done something right.

Well, as today it's already 10 years from its production so we know that the series got trashed on its first season as it deserved to. But all the same here my reasons why it deserved to be trashed:

If you have seen tv series like "Bold and the Beautiful" or similar soap dramas then this series won't provide anything new. Some "bunny loveheart" producer decided that lets copy the old trusty concept, spice it up a bit with "exotic" vampirism and whip it up with crap budget.

The storyline is the same old endless trappings of love, betrayal and fake tears you have seen thousand times in soap operas executed in the most predictable stereotypical ways imaginable. You can always guess what the next turn is going to be lot before it happens and you just get bored to wait it to play out in the screen.

The music must be copied from some cheap unlabeled drama as well as the staging equipment. Bollywood also have extremely cheap budgets but they have a lot better music to offer. Shame on the producers. The game have lot more intense and imaginative backgrounds and a real composed music scores.
  • Vampires - the 4 clans - hot men, beautiful women - this show rocked and was never really given a chance to develop an audience.

I just thought of this show and how much I loved it the other day. I have all the episodes on VHS. Really should see if I can get them on DVD - tapes are getting a little grany since I watched them so much.

My best friend in hish school/university used to play live role playing games. Not my scene, I was always a little insecure for that - but I love hearing the stories and the lore behind the games - especially the one with all the vampires.

Really at this point this show has more memories of the person I was when I watched the episodes. I am much more confident and happy now. Still miss the show and wish it had foud an audience.
  • I have been playing the RPG the show whas based on from its first edition. and they get everything wrong.

2.5
    This show whas so bad....so bad....man they hade the best base material on the subject of vampires at the time and they messed it all up. It whas like the gave the rpg book to a 14 year old and whanted him to understand immortality and all the up's and down's of that life. they managed to make it even more generict than i could have dared dream of in a nightmare. And of all citys to have piced the worst based on the material (san francico/L.A Anarc teritory). The acting whas lame, the effects lame'r. oh me oh my they ****ed it up. hope the make another series from "a world of darkness" some day.(ps i dont mean to offent the idea for the show whas a very good one)
  • Kindred:The Embraced was a terrific show, it deserved more than an 8 episode run.

I enjoyed watching this show, as it had great storylines, cast & characters. Kindred could have been a very popular show just like Buffy and Angel but unfortunely it didn't get the chance.

This is one show that deserves a second chance. If Kindred was on the air, today, it would be one of the top shows to watch. One can only hope....
  • Kindred the Embraced, a godfather type version of vampires.

I loved Kindred the Embraced, it reminded me of the godfather movies in a way. It had all of the mystery and the sex appeal that vampires have to the point where it would draw you in.
    I live in Australia and in my opinion we don't have many good shows here, and when Kindred first came onto our screens I thought wow this is great, but then some idiot went and axed it on us.Kindred was and still is a brilliant show and in my opinion it should be brought back onto our tv screens and kept there for more than 8 episodes.
  • Vampire the Masquerade Show? Count me in!

When I saw this at Hollywood video a few months back, I really needed to get it. Why? Because it's a TV show about Vampire the Masquerade. I was horrified to find out why it had been called off, but the few episodes that they did make made for an excellent show.

The star of the show, as most people who have heard of this know, died in a crash. I really wish they would have made more episodes, but when your star dies, I think its a good idea to stop the show.

What I liked about this, being a huge vampire fan, and V:TM fan, is that it showed you how a game of that RPG could progress and what could be done with it. Sure most of the characters were Primogens, but it also had other stories to go along with it. Add to the fact that it was an Australian show, it made it worth looking into.

I highly recommend this show to vampire fans and fans that just want to see a good gothic type show.
  • Sometimes it sucks, but it's usually okay.

Sometimes it sucks, but it's usually okay. Course, it'll always be better than Neighbours! How can anyone watch that? It should be shot down. Anyway, Kindred: The Embraced, it's weird at times, and usually quite unbelieveable, and sometimes everything is just too perfect, but it's cool as it is. Oh, and i'd NEVER EVER want to live there. Beach views and death on every corner!
  • This show would had deserved more attention, I loved the games, and the show had a lot of potential. Unfortunately it ended before it really even started.

This show has a great cast and lot of potential. Unfortunately the show starts too slowly, the first episodes feel like the writers would not have any ideas about where everything is going, the show just doesn't go anywhere. If the writers would had just started the show interestingly, like getting someone(Frank for e.g) turned into a vampire and then followed him, the show could had been monumental, but now it's more of a wasted potential.

The world of Kindred is very interesting and the characters are well written, if the show would had been on for longer time, and there would had been some bigger storyline it would had been much better.

I think the show should had continued despite the death of the actor playing Julian, the show had just started and he could had been replaced, or just made it so that he dies in the show too, and continued the story concentrating more on the cop Frank and less on politics between the kindred.

I hope we someday get another show set in the the same world of Kindred.
  • Breakaway Paranormal Start For TV

This show was the first paranormal show that I think every day normal people could understand , it was so sad that Mark Frankel passed away before it could be finished this show really was great and I have been happy to see the actors from the show go on to do others things just as wounderful........ you can buy this show on vhs or dvd or maybe you could rent it at your local video store its really a great show it will be sure to please all !! who view it ...
  • I think this was one of the best vampier shows on TV.

I think this was one of the best vampier shows on TV. It had a great cast,compelling story lines and drama, drama drama. I for one don\\\'t think that the network gave it a fair chance. You are left wanting MORE after the last episode. I too would like to see this show rereleased. It would work one of two ways another prince-sunny maybe or in a different city.

• Mommy, can we do it again?!?!?

This show was, even by today's standards, an awesome show. The World of Darkness is a prime candidate for a prime time drama series, and one that is, sadly, overlooked. It offers a setting that's all too familiar to most of us, but also, peeks into the darker corners that, even in today's day and age, still send shivers down most people's spines.

It is in my honest oppinion, that the networks should really have this show revamped and re-released. Whereas Buffy the Vampire Slayer appeals to the teenaged girls and boys, Kindred took a much more mature theme. It was a drama that appealed to a more adult audience. Now, nine years after it's debut AND cancelation, it's eight episodes still have people salivating for more. Seriously, I'm waiting to see it again, and I know I'm not alone in this.
  • Based upon White Wolf's RPG Vampire: The Mascarade, it present us several interesting characters.

The first game in the White Wolf stable was Vampire: The Mascarade, which drew a picture of a world controlled by vampires… vampires who had chosen to abide by a set of rules which would help prevent humanity discovering them and therefore hunting them (the so called Mascarade).

These vampires were made up of seven clans and each city with vampires in it had a designated organisational structure, made up of a Prince (head of the city), the Primogen (leaders of each clan), and then the rest of the vampires.

The game was very successful, reaching out to a new generation of roleplayers and thus inspired many spin-offs. Kindred: The Embraced is the TV spin-off, fairly loose based upon the RPG.

Kindred is based in San Francisco, where the vampire Prince is Julian Luna of the Ventrue clan. He is close friends with Daedalus (the Nosferatu Primogen), a lover of Lillie (the Toreador Primogen), enemy of Eddie Fiori (the Brujah Primogen) and employs the Gangrel Primogen as his bodyguard.

Now, in the game all these clans would really mean something to you, they'd have different skills, different ways of doing things… but in Kindred, they're limited to pretty basic differentiations.

The Nosferatu are "ugly" (by game standards, Daedalus is one of the prettiest Nosferatus ever seen), the Toreador are artistic, the Brujah are thuggish, the Gangrel like motorbikes and the streets, and the Ventrue… well, they seem to like being in control.

So that's five clans, but didn't I just say there were seven? Well, yes, but they decided to cut out two clans for the TV show – a marked difference made simply to prevent upsetting viewers (they got rid of the insane Malkavians and the magic-dabbling Tremere). No wonder from a Spelling production.

Much of the series is spent laying the groundwork, explaining how the Kindred organise themselves and detailing their rivalries and political viewpoints.

Each episode tends to open up more of the original White Wolf system, explaining how vampires are made, what the laws of the Masquerade are and just how far vampires will go to keep themselves out of the spotlight. This is most definitely an introductory series.

If Kindred: the Embraced had been allowed to develop into a long-running series no doubt it would have achieved a massive fan following and cult status.

As it is, this first and only season shows potential, but not greatness in itself. There is a lot of expository detail needed to bring viewers into the world of the Kindred, and coupled with fast action and many stories to tell the series sometimes feels a bit rushed.

The acting is mostly competent, and I did end up caring what was happening and even intrigued at some points – all good signs.

Even with these shortcomings, Kindred: The Embraced still stands out as a fun, action-packed vampire series which looks at the vampires standpoint rather than that of the hunters and humans.
  • A fun show, but not one of the best ever. If you like it, watch Forever Knight. Much better show, which this ripped off shamefully.

3.5
    Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed this show. Heck, I drooled over the lead actor, and I own the DVD version. But it's nothing special. Many of the vampire relationships, and particularly the club, "the Haven," and its owner are pulled almost directly out of Forever Knight.

Enjoyable, but a bad mish-mosh of the races from the Masquerade RPG, and of things from Forever Knight. I'm not saying don't enjoy it, but don't in any way believe that it was original.
  • the greatest vampire show ever!

i loved this show! to this date there has not been a vampire show quite like it. I loved Angel too but this show was off the hook. I really wish they would re-make it. In my opinion it was like the godfather meets vampires...absoulutely the best. I would recommend that if you haven't seen it go out and buy or rent the dvd.
  • The World of Darkness shown on tv ... The series was interesting even for those who'd never heard of Vampires: The Masquerade. Unfortunately it was out before Buffy was aired. The world just wasn't prepared for it.

It doesn't happen too often that you see a tv-series based on a role playing game. But even people who never heard of Vampires: The Masquerade can enjoy this series.

Unfortunately it revolved mainly around one character: the prince (leader of the vampires in one city) Julian Luna. This wasn't unfortunate because it made the story boring, but because actor Mark Frankel, who played the prince, died too soon.
    The series also was a few years ahead of it's time. Before Buffy vampires on tv rarely were successful, the series would run one or two seasons and then disappear again.
    Kindred would have had all the chances to really make it, based on a whole world full of vampires, it could have been switched to a different clan or at least to the new prince.

I'm still not giving up hope, though. Today a vampire-series could make it, I'm sure of that.
  • This was a great show. It took me by surprise when it ended so abruptly. The story lines and characters were really great.

This show turned into one of my favorite shows very quickly and then left the air just as quickly. If it had lasted longer than it did (that was a very unfortunate thing to happen with the death of Mark Frankel). I just recently saw all the episodes again because thankfully they put the shows on DVD. Because of all of the other shows of this genre, I still think that this would be a great show to have even today. It would be awesome to see it in another city and follow other members of the clans and see how a different clan rules a city. It was done excellently and it was for me (and my sister) sorely missed.