King of the Hill

A Firefighting We Will Go

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Jan 12, 1999 on FOX

• On FIRE!

Best episode of the series. Always good for many laughs. If you only ever watch one episode, it should be this one. It has a great plot, which is hilarious, as well as classic lines. The guys don't always get along, but this shows their friendship really being put to the test. It also has Boomhauer speaking normally for the first (and possibly only) time in the series. I liked that it was done as a retell of events too, it made it different and kept things moving along nicely. Incredible episode that never dissapoints no matter how many times I watch it.
  • See the many comparisons to classic Three Stooges episodes in A Firefighting We Will Go...a must-see for any fan who has watched an episode of Moe, Larry, Curly and/or Shemp/Joe/Curly Joe...

This is, by far, the best King of the Hill episode made. Whereas most KOTH episodes rely on intellectual humor, there is slapstick humor as well. Hank clearly asserts himself as being Moe the ringleader throughout; and the Frito Pie being tossed is reminiscent of the pie fights that ended nearly one quarter of the Stooges shorts. The gang's retelling of incidents as volunteers for the Arlen Fire Department also brings to mind Moe's testimony of his ruined vacation in "Idiots Deluxe". Best of all, this episode never has to resort to cheap laughs the way "Simpsons" episodes tend to do. The definitive classic KOTH episode!
  • One of the funniest episodes.

This episode had to be one of the funniest and an all time classic. It was entertaining from beginning to end and I liked the entire story. It was very well written and the comedy was great. My favorite aspect was the antics of the foursome consisting of Bill, Boomhauer, Dale, and Hank. I liked their interactions and how well they acted within a group. They all seemed to be in over their heads and it all played out great. I am glad that the episode focused on them and their story and each telling of it was a nice touch. Thank you.
  • Hank and his pals become volunteer firefighters.

This episode starts in the police station as Hank and his friends tell the police man what happened while Hank and his friends became firefighters. While as volunteer firefighters, the four of them can't work out their differences through out the volunteer work. There were a lot of hilarious scenes in this episode that really made me laugh like Boomhauer uses the Jaws on the fire hydrant and the pressure of the water was on Bill and when Hank stops their fun playing ping-pong by smashing the ping-pong ball with his foot and Bill grabs Hank's glasses and smashes it with his foot and Hank is going to chase Bill. One of the firefighters said that an ex-firefighter Chet Elderson passed away, and the four have to hold the casket at the funeral and it was also funny when the four fell into the burial hole and grabbed Chet's pants at his funeral. While the four try to extinguish a fire close to a restaurant, Their beepers go off and there was another fire, at the firehouse. Hank thinks it's the Alamo beer sign that Chet Elderson loves to plug in, but it doesn't work and through out sparks. So, they said to the policeman that Chet Elderson did it, and the policeman would call it an accidental fire and the four of them are free to go. This is one of the most exciting and very hilarious episodes of all time.
  • The four try to become volunteer firemen.

Holy cow. Was this episode ever funny. The first time I watched this I could start laughing. At first it seemed weird, but as it went on the humor came alive.The funniest part was when they were in the fire department and Dale and Boomhauer were playing table tennis. Then Hank gets all mad and comes down to stop the game. From there it goes funny. Its hysterical when Hanks glasses get broken and he goes after Bill. Then when he thinks its all good, Dale and Boomhauer play with the broken ball. So he goes down stops the game once again. While doing so he fire marshal(or something like that) comes in and tells them buddy died. When they were feeling sympathetic Bill rips one, very funny. The funeral was hysterical too. I seen the episode about four times and the first three times I still found it funny. It was well written, by far the best episode ever made for this show.
  • This was my favorite episode!

(King of the Hill has become one of my favorite shows ever. This episode will keep it on my top list for many years to come!) This episode of King of the Hill was a classic! The whole story was so funny and the guys are just hilarious. I can literally sit down and watch this episode over and over. Dale is such a crack up. DALE: Hank's a lumberjack and he's OK...

And although Bobby and Peggy aren't the "main characters" of this episode, they still manage to make us laugh and wonder about Peggy's so called "genius".

BOBBY: Ooh, spoons! Can I assume the potatoes will be mashed tonight?

HANK: Luanne can't be a fireman. What if a very large man was trapped in a burning building and she had to carry him out?
    PEGGY: Then she would do a fireperson's carry, formerly known as a fireman's carry.
    BOBBY: What's that?
    PEGGY: It allows a woman to life a man's weight, through a scientific principle that I like to call "leverage."

I highly recommend this episode!!
  • "This is one of the best episodes plain and simple"

This is the funniest episodes of the King of the Hill series. Everything about the episode is of the highest quality. If you don't like this episode you may not have a sense of humor. I've seen the other reviews and everybody seems to think my way. So, i figured i'd post something as well. There have been other episodes that are it really funny, but this particular episode tops them all. I hope there is another episode like this in the the next season that's comin' up later this month. All I can say else is keep up the good work Mike Judge. Keep up the good work.
  • Probably the best KOTH episode ever.

If not the all-time best ever, this is definetely in the top 5 or even 3 greatest episodes ever, along with Dog Dale Afternoon and the Redneck on Rainey Street. This episode has some of the funniest moments in the show's history; it's simply hilarious. Perhaps the funniest part in the episode is when the guys are telling their own sides of the story. I literally was in tears I was laughing so much! Boomhauer's story was particularly funny, because it shows that he sees his friends as idiots compared to him; he is the only one that talks normal, the other guys talk like him. This is a good episode to start watching the series on, it shows what the central characters are like.
  • Hank, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer as the Three Stooges?

I wonder how the writers came up with the idea of Hank, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer parodying the Three Stooges. It's not exactly a natural comparison, and maybe that's why it was so interesting. I also liked how they didn't do an exact parallel of the characters (for example, Bill is still Bill, they didn't make him act like Larry or Curly), but rather transferred the spirit of a Three Stooges short onto the KOTH universe. It's interesting to see how Dale, Bill and Boomhauer each recall the incident differently and inaccurately (as a reference to Rashomon). We also see another example of Peggy's ego run amuck as she attempts a "fireman's carry" on Bobby and pulls her groin muscle but refuses to admit it. All in all, this is one of the best written episodes with an interesting twist of being a tribute to the Stooges.
  • Overall the best King Of The Hill episode.

This is episode could be the best episode of King Of The Hill ever made, it is about the guys being firemen, but then they burn the station down and they all have a different story of who did it. This also has my favorite King Of The Hill joke. Boomhauer is telling his part of the story, and it turns out Boomhauer (in his mind) is the only clear talker out of the whole gang. In his mind, the rest of the guys talk too fast and unclear. Overall, this has to be the best episode, it has a great story, great jokes, and you learn a secret about Boomhauer. I give it a 10 out of 10!
  • "Alright it's time you boys met the jaws...jaws of life aka the jaws...."

This episode is the reason why I love King of the Hill. It starts out the crew is in a fire investigation. Bill shows up in the alley in a fire truck when the rest of the gang finds out that the paid firefighters are on strike so, Hank, Boomhauer, and Dale also join up. Meanwhile, after Peggy tries to prove that a small woman can carry a heavy person out of a fire she pulls her groin trying to pick up Bobby. It seems like every scene has something really funny happen like pulling the pants off of a corpse, Bill getting stuck trying to go down the fire pole, and Boomhauer getting hit in the head with a metal lid which Bill throws.

While out on the first call they get an APB (all points bulletin). Turns out the firehouse has burned down. When each of them tells their story about how the fire started is hilarious. In the end Hank is about to reveal which one of them started the fire when decides he would feel bad and they blame it on a dead man. Peggy also works herself back to health and picks up Bobby.

This one has more physical comedy than most episodes. As stated in the allusions this comes from the 3 Stooges influence. Classic comedy…if you’re a King of the Hill fan check out this episode.