King of the Hill

Après Hank, le Deluge

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Mar 21, 2004 on FOX

• Overflow of Goodness!

This episode is one of the best of Season 8, with a ton of laughs and a very entertaining plot. There is a lot going on with so many subplots, but each one is funny and keeps the episode going at a steady pace. Often in a show when there are multiple story lines such as this one, it can become to much, and many feel rushed, but I thought each one got the screen time it deserved, and was well rounded and complete. Each character got to have a funny moment and went at a good pace. There were a lot of characters in this one but all of them stayed true to themselves, and you got to see the personalities of each one shine through, even if they were only there for a bit. GREAT episode!
  • This could be a really great episode, but two instances of overdoing it rob it just a little.

We basically have a pretty funny situation, and some funny things explored. But in the show's rush to cement Hank's status as 'long-suffering sitcom lead', they pushed my patience to the breaking point.

Now, with Bill always so down, its great to get him seen as a hero. But like Patrick for Spongebob, and Barney for Homer, these even-denser sidekicks seem only to be able to better themselves by tearing down their best friend. Why Hank just let this go without whispering of ass-kickings to come (so Bill's fan club wouldn't hear it) is beyond me. It's Bill at his non-pathetic worst.

Now let's go to the good folk of Arlen, all of whom must have in the crowd of people that blindly watched Lucy pull the football away twice in 'Its Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown'. Why do I say that? Because the slacker fool who abandoned his post and who admits snarkily to doing so is right there in the shelter with them when they want to rip Hank apart for opening the flood gates.

So basically, to drive the plot, they have Bill go Dale and the town of Arlen go Peppermint Patty-1978. To me, that drives a decent plot premise with some other funny situations into a ditch.
  • Fun times are here.

This was a funny episode, but also an entertaining one. I liked seeing everyone together in a clustered plot as they can all act off from one another. Bill was really good in this one and Hank was actually funny. Bobby was decent with his friends and Peggy was her usual jerk self. I thought that the plot was clever, but it seemed like I saw this kind of thing before. My favorite part of the show would have to be where Hank gets locked up by Bill and his men. I thought it was really funny to see Bill act like he was leader. He's not the brightest, but he is funny. Thank you.
MNT