King of the Hill

Après Hank, le Deluge

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Mar 21, 2004 on FOX

• This could be a really great episode, but two instances of overdoing it rob it just a little.

We basically have a pretty funny situation, and some funny things explored. But in the show's rush to cement Hank's status as 'long-suffering sitcom lead', they pushed my patience to the breaking point.

Now, with Bill always so down, its great to get him seen as a hero. But like Patrick for Spongebob, and Barney for Homer, these even-denser sidekicks seem only to be able to better themselves by tearing down their best friend. Why Hank just let this go without whispering of ass-kickings to come (so Bill's fan club wouldn't hear it) is beyond me. It's Bill at his non-pathetic worst.

Now let's go to the good folk of Arlen, all of whom must have in the crowd of people that blindly watched Lucy pull the football away twice in 'Its Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown'. Why do I say that? Because the slacker fool who abandoned his post and who admits snarkily to doing so is right there in the shelter with them when they want to rip Hank apart for opening the flood gates.

So basically, to drive the plot, they have Bill go Dale and the town of Arlen go Peppermint Patty-1978. To me, that drives a decent plot premise with some other funny situations into a ditch.
TOON