King of the Hill

Dale To the Chief

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Jan 30, 2005 on FOX

• While reading the Warren Commission Report to Joseph at bedtime, he realizes the government was right about who shot Kennedy, and decides the government is right about other things. Meanwhile, Hank can't get the DPS to correct a mistake on his license.

Watching Dale become a government supporter is hilarious, esecially after eight seasons of his nutty, anti-government rantings. Suddenly, just because he believes the government was right about the Kennedy assasination, he is convinced they are right about everything. He abandons his anarchist ways and conspiracy-theorist beliefs, and begins adorning himself in pro-America gear, and even decks out the Bug-a-Bagoo with American flags that aren't upside-down. Of course, Hank has always loved his country and its government, especially the Old Gipper ("What president should I do my report on, dad - oh right, Ronald Reagan."), but his struggle with the Department of Public Safety (Texas does not have a DMV division, DPS handles licenses) is leading him to believe the government isn't so great after all. It's nice to see Hank frustrated and unable to quickly fix the problem with a clever idea and creative thinking - watching Hank fix everyone's problems gets a little predictable and boring at times. Also, Bobby and Peggy's jokes at Hank's expense - Bobby: "This letter is addressed to 'Mrs. Hill' but I don't know which one." Hank: "I'm getting tired of that joke!" - are dumb, but pretty funny - "Are you going to wear that, Hank? Because I have a cute little purse that would go right with it!" - and even funnier is Hank's reaction: banishing Bobby, then Peggy, to the living room so he can sort mail in peace in the kitchen.

One of the funniest parts of thie episode is the Homeland Security agent that comes to visit Hank. It all starts when Dale paints a giant American flag on Hank's roof. While a patriot, Hank does not want a giant flag on his roof, so he begins to wash it off (after threatening Dale - "We've proved I can kick your ass when I'm on a ladder before!") Dale, like the good, watchful American citizen he is, reports Hank's flag destruction and informs Homeland Security of Hank's complaints against the DPS, resulting in a visit from a government official who explains he's not looking for anything in particular, but Hank isn't it.

While many episodes in the later seasons of King of the Hill become less centered around more realistic, everyday-life story lines than the earlier seasons' plots of Nancy's affair, Peggy's teaching trials and tribulations and Kahn's dissatisfaction with his neighbors, this episode manages to pull off the slightly different style of story but is still great to watch and doesn't deter from the characters that have already been developed - Hank gets angry, but he never believes the DPS is conspiring against him, as Dale would, saving this from being a stereotypical "switching places" plotline.