King of the Hill

Death Buys a Timeshare

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Jan 16, 2005 on FOX

7.3
  • Hank does his best to stop his father from wasting his money on a Mexican time-share.

When Hank's father comes into some money and heads off to Mexico to look at a time share, Hank and Bill go along to make sure the old man doesn't get ripped off. In the end, Hank realizes that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. In a side plot, Peggy, Bobby and Dale look for ways to beat the summer heat back in Arlen.

Despite being a cartoon, King of the Hill is one of the most realistic shows on the air. The show's humor comes from Hank's "normal" reactions to the odd problems he is confronted with. Generally, no matter what the situation, Hank's common sense and willingness to work at a problem usually carries the day. Despite poking fun at working class values and hard work, the overall tone of the show is one that actually affirms them.

This episode of King of the Hill strays from that formula and it's a little bit sad, actually. Despite trying his best, Hank doesn't win, the bad guys do. True to life but not very affirming. I don't think I like that so I don't give this episode very high marks.