King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

A simple question.

JakeFrato

[1]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 7

Was this show really worth canceling for The Cleveland Show?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 63
    Actually, that question doesn't really have a simple answer. Fox' inability to generate a hit sitcom for most of the 2000s merely extended KOTH's life five or six years longer than even the most liberal prediction. KOTH was never a ratings smash --even in its peak years, it just barely cracked the Nielsen Top 50-- and as such, Fox used the show as a stopgap for holes in the weekly schedule, usually on Sunday nights opposite "60 Minutes" and "Dateline." On top of that most TV shows, regardless of whether they're live action or animated, do not typically run for 13 years. The show's longevity seems almost absurd until you realize "The Simpsons" was seven years older and still chugging along. Even Mike Judge admitted that he was tapped out of ideas.

Was KOTH a better show than "Cleveland?" Without a doubt, yes. Did Fox have to replace KOTH with "Cleveland?" Something had to.

timgueguen

[3]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 13
    It's surprising it lasted as long as it did given Fox's rather lackluster promotion of the series in recent years. It pretty much amounted to "Oh yeah, we've got this King of the Hill show on. Watch it. Or don't, we don't really care."

JarredsTV

[4]Mar 6, 2011
    • level: 4
    I have to say, it's sad that the only way I can now watch it is seeing the 9 o' clock reruns on Adult Swim. It's not that it had to be canceled for the Cleveland show, however, all good things must come to an end eventually.

Nibbles37

[5]Mar 11, 2011
    • level: 1

It's all about the money, music and movies used to be about entertaining. Now it's who can make a quick buck. I love KoTH and have every episode on my external HDD and leave them playing on shuffle everynight when I lay down for bed. Several of my friends and family members also have them saved to an HDD and watch them. If FOX factored in the amount of KoTH torrent downloads it would make a huge difference. I have all 6 seasons they made available on DVD, if they released the others I would have bought them too. The show has more viewers than they like to admit but it wasn't making them money so they axed it.

HelloStuart

[6]Mar 17, 2011
    • level: 63
    Nibbles37 wrote:

It's all about the money, music and movies used to be about entertaining. Now it's who can make a quick buck.

Actually, it's always been about making a quick buck. A television network would never green-light a show that couldn't be marketed. Plus, a TV show's secondary task (after entertaining, obviously) is generating ad revenue.

8ie7

[7]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 6

No, Cleveland should've stayed w/ Family Guy

berberdog

[8]Apr 19, 2011
    • level: 7

I wish "King of the Hill" had not ended, but who knows what the episodes would be about if it was still on? Brittany Murphy has died, so they would have to write Luanne out of the show. And they wouldn't be able to have Luanne explain where she's going off to since well, her voice-actor is dead, so how would the writers pull it off without it feeling unnatural? I hate "The Cleveland Show" and I'm not just saying that for KOTH's sake. Giving it a chance, I decided it is an awful show with disgusting episodes such as Rallo singing a song about eating his boogers. Yuck!!!! I would much rather watch the show set in Texas with warm characters that I have loved for years instead of watching...... well, whatever you can call "The Cleveland Show"... it's just sooo bad. But who knows, maybe Mike Judge, in the case with his other show "Beavis and Butt-Head", will have a chance to bring back "King of the Hill" 14 years from now. If the writers were losing ideas for the show near the end of its run, I'm sure they would have plenty of wonderful episodes ideas built up over the 14 years off the air to push the show over the 300 episode mark.

DOMOJITA

[9]Feb 19, 2012
    • level: 18
    i would have love to see this show keep going with new episodes but oh well all good things must come to an end, like the simpsons maybe that show will have it's final episode who knows when that will be maybe tonight or in the distent future who really knows for shure.

drudager

[10]Mar 4, 2012
    JakeFrato wrote:

Was this show really worth canceling for The Cleveland Show?

The question is invalid because the two are not related. If anything, KOTH stayed on much longer than they wanted & Fox basically begged them to stay on.

dancingbeatle

[11]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 45
    What are the odds that Mike Judge will go back years later and make another season like he did with Beavis and Butt-head?

drudager

[12]Apr 21, 2012
    dancingbeatle wrote:
    What are the odds that Mike Judge will go back years later and make another season like he did with Beavis and Butt-head?

I'd say pretty much zero. KOTH stayed on for years and years later than Judge wanted & they made a ton of shows. I would say they explored about everything they wanted. B&B is pop culture shorts which is a lot more flexible than a serious half hour show.

drudager

[13]Apr 21, 2012
    berberdog wrote:

I wish "King of the Hill" had not ended, but who knows what the episodes would be about if it was still on? Brittany Murphy has died, so they would have to write Luanne out of the show. And they wouldn't be able to have Luanne explain where she's going off to since well, her voice-actor is dead, so how would the writers pull it off without it feeling unnatural?.

I'm pretty sure they could have hired another voice actress to do it, but knowing Judge, he'd probably retire the character out of respect. Or like the Simpsons did with Phil Hartman, they just simply stopped using Troy McClure. I'm almost positive Judge has no desire to get to 300 episodes, plus he brought closure & had created a series finale ( (#213 "Lucky's Wedding Suit") but Fox re-upped the show twice. Once you reach about 66 episodes, syndication brings immortality.