King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

ABC May Pick it Up

DrTruth

[1]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 8

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995191.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Good News?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rated_R_Postar

[2]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 2
    I would love to see ABC pick it up. I feel that King of the Hill still has some good years left in it. I think that FOX is prematurely cancelling it. And I probably won't even watch FOX's animation domination schedule after King is axed. I don't find any of Seth Mcfarlene's shows funny and he will now have 3 shows airing on FOX. I think that he will be the nail in the coffin for the network.

mp34mp

[3]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 16
    No, not good news. Let it end with dignity!

jra3209

[4]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 15
    ABC is much better and a more involved network with it's shows. I hope so because KotH has at least 3 seasons left to be good. ABC could help it be 5 or 6.

berberdog

[5]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    If ABC took King of the Hill, the network might want the show under its supervision to tie up loose ends. If they listen to the fans of the show, ABC might have it written in the parts about Bobby maturing, Dale finding out about John Redcorn, etc. I think it might do the show some good.

RAYcluse

[6]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 10

I honestly think KOTH has a few years left, but not many. I think ABC is aware though since they also picked up "Scrubs" for one more season and as far as I know about that it's going to be the last one. If ABC handles "Scrubs" well, I think I can trust them that they wont run this show in the dirt too.

But I still think FX should produce the show. They already repeat it several times a day, and they could probably get away with a lot more than with Fox or ABC. Basically, I think it would be an interesting experiment.

westcoastwillam

[7]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    I hope to god that they pick it up LETS save KING OF THE HILL

ModernTimes

[8]Nov 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    13 Seasons is enough. King of the Hill is a great show but it's time to let sleeping dogs lie... or something...

HelloStuart

[9]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 63

Rated_R_Postar wrote:
    I would love to see ABC pick it up. I feel that King of the Hill still has some good years left in it. I think that FOX is prematurely cancelling it. And I probably won't even watch FOX's animation domination schedule after King is axed. I don't find any of Seth Mcfarlene's shows funny and he will now have 3 shows airing on FOX. I think that he will be the nail in the coffin for the network.

A show that's been running since January 1997 and has been battling middling ratings for years would not be considered "prematurely cancelled." Fox nearly cancelled KOTH after three years, so we should count our blessings that we got ten more.

Even so, the ABC deal fell through.

Edited on 11/09/2008 10:05am

mp34mp

[10]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:

Rated_R_Postar wrote:

A show that's been running since January 1997 and has been battling middling ratings for years would not be considered "prematurely cancelled." Fox nearly cancelled KOTH after three years, so we should count our blessings that we got ten more.

Didn't know they almost cancelled it 3 years into it. That's kinda crazy, especially since television standards were higher 10 years ago. Hmmm.. they had some good episodes that season... Peggy found out about Redcorn, 72 oz. steak, Hank's 'old' lawnmower, the fire fighters episode, Paddlin' Peggy, Will Ferrell as the soccer coach, Bobby & Luanne wedding, Hank gets humped by the horny dolphin, lutefisk, the Over The Hills. Man... there's some really good episodes there! What was Fox smoking?

HelloStuart

[11]Nov 21, 2008
    mp34mp wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Rated_R_Postar wrote:

Didn't know they almost cancelled it 3 years into it. That's kinda crazy, especially since television standards were higher 10 years ago. Hmmm.. they had some good episodes that season... Peggy found out about Redcorn, 72 oz. steak, Hank's 'old' lawnmower, the fire fighters episode, Paddlin' Peggy, Will Ferrell as the soccer coach, Bobby & Luanne wedding, Hank gets humped by the horny dolphin, lutefisk, the Over The Hills. Man... there's some really good episodes there! What was Fox smoking?

Fox moved KOTH to Tuesday nights at 8/7c and ratings plummeted, that's why. All those great moments and nobody was watching. "That '70s Show" aired after "The Simpsons" that year, so it's not like Fox could easily correct their mistake. Instead, KOTH languished in a (then) bad time slot, first with two short-lived new shows, than an all-animation comedy block with "Futurama," "Family Guy," and "The PJs."

Semaj86

[12]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 6

There are more negatives to ABC picking up King of the Hill than positives.

One negative includes a back-to-back Mike Judge hour, if the show were paired up with The Goode Family. But on FOX, although American Dad has traded its political humor with Family Guy for its own story development, the show suffers from always being paired with Family Guy, which doesn't allow it to succeed on its own terms.

Maybe it's me, but I think programs need to succeed on an individual basis, not based on who created what before. Futurama did enough work where people today can easily distinguish it from The Simpsons. Right now, I see The Goode Family as the liberal opposite of King of the Hill, but I'd like to see what they can make of that without the show living in its predecessor's shadow.

Another negative is the possibility that ABC might not commit to either program. Outside FOX, even with their own commitment problems, the other broadcast networks have been known since the 1990's to be terribly disloyal to primetime animation. ABC's last attempt at it was with an animated version of Clerks in 2000, which with only six episodes made, ended after only two.

The only real purpose for an ABC move would be to bring forth some creative changes, perhaps using some characters that are hardly used anymore. Except at this point, since the show refuses to develop much of their characters any further, there isn't too much else the show would need to tell at all. The only character that has significantly developed since the beginning was Luanne, and after her baby is bon, I will consider the series technically complete.

For me, now is the right time to end this show.

robotcfan1

[13]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    as of january 4th adult swim will start from episode 17 and 18

skull555

[14]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 18

That is good about Adult Swim.

berberdog

[15]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    A deal could still be made. It might already be, but they are waiting to announce it until a certain time. It seems that March is the month of newly announced seasons, maybe they will announce it in March. Also, some deals don't go through for years. We may go years without new episodes and then get new ones on ABC in 2013.....

HelloStuart

[16]Jan 19, 2009
    berberdog wrote:
    A deal could still be made. It might already be, but they are waiting to announce it until a certain time. It seems that March is the month of newly announced seasons, maybe they will announce it in March. Also, some deals don't go through for years. We may go years without new episodes and then get new ones on ABC in 2013.....

Give me one example.

Semaj86

[17]Jan 19, 2009
    Sorry, folks. It's time to move on with our lives.

My only hope is that they replace this show with Sit Down, Shut Up, or at the very least, anything besides another Seth McFarlane show.

xTokiWartoothx

[18]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    all i will say is that fox does not take care of any of its programs excluding the simpsons

look at the history, they pulled family guy twice (though I'm not really a fan of the show, I like A.D. better,) and nearly obliterated Futurama

thank god for adult swim and comedy central

and now they are pulling the best animated show they've ever had off the air. i appreciate groening's accomplishments but the simpsons should be allowed to die before koth. i swear if i see one more episode where homer nearly looses marge for the 200th time im going to sue fox for plagiarizing fox. there is no more material, oh hahaha homers a fat drunken slob he gets into trouble but then its fixed the end. futurama was much more of an achievement, it was highly original and always funny.
    in fact the simpsons hasnt been funny since like the 6th or 7th season.

unfortunately aside from personally paying mike judge and the actors to release the show privately theres nothing we can do because fox doesn't listen to or respect anyone.

cactusjack39

[19]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 30
    Whatever happens, I am glad that there are many re-runs to enjoy.

Codeguru

[20]Feb 9, 2009

FOX is worthless, nothing they do makes any sense. King of the Hill should have been on another channel all along, that's basically why I haven't been watching it because I didn't know it was still on. There's no reason to watch FOX or any of its shows because you know what's gonna be on, every show, every episode. If you find FOX shows funny, you might be an alsheimer's patient, that's the new Jeff Foxworthy material...

Codeguru