King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Episode Discussion Thread: "Strangeness on a Train"

HelloStuart

[1]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 63
    Even I'll admit that this episode was a clunker. Yes, seeing the cast in garish '70s leisure-wear was amusing, but most of this episode was a reach. Of course people go on disco-themed mystery-train rides, and enjoy doing so. Of course said mystery-trains ride through a dry county. Of course thirteen-year-olds like to drink soda in crawl spaces. In spite of the final message, "Strangeness" was a misfire.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brwnhairdwnder

[2]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 5
    I will have to somewhat disagree. Even though the episode wasn't one of my favorites, I thought it had its moments that were pretty funny. There were some parts that made me want to cringe (like Luanne spilling the mystery), but I think that the ending made up for those parts. I really did like this episode.

mitu123

[3]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    brwnhairdwnder wrote:
    I will have to somewhat disagree. Even though the episode wasn't one of my favorites, I thought it had its moments that were pretty funny. There were some parts that made me want to cringe (like Luanne spilling the mystery), but I think that the ending made up for those parts. I really did like this episode.
    I'm going to have to agree with you, I thought it was pretty good, but far from the best though.

SuperBandit

[4]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 7

I refuse to believe Hank would ever agree to have, "Relations" in the public bathroom of a train.

Television442

[5]Apr 28, 2008

Worst....episode....ever.

Why?

1. Basing a storyline off of a Hitchcock thriller went against the established realism in the show.

2. The jokes were incredibly bad.

3. The ending where the biker bar put on "I Will Survive" because he thought disco was back was very outlandish and could never happen in real life.

4. Having relations in public is completely out of character for Hank. He would only do that sort of thing if he was drunk (and he wasn't).

Don't get me wrong - I love KOTH, but this episode was just plain awful. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this episode a solid 1.

mp34mp

[6]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 16
    This episode just sucked. It sucked! Tho I found the conductor amusing.

HelloStuart

[7]Apr 28, 2008
    brwnhairdwnder wrote:

I was more concerned about the return of the Manger Babies. If Luanne still carries those puppets around, I truly fear for her unborn child...

brwnhairdwnder

[8]Apr 28, 2008
    I agree!!! That poor baby, with those stupid puppets being thrusted into his/her face. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Semaj86

[9]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 6

Have you noticed a lot of today's writers have an obsession with the 1970s?

I thought this was the best episode of the season. It's been a long time since we got an ensemble story. Nobody was left out, literally; I seem to be the only one who was GLAD to see The Manger Babies after so long.

Also, it doesn't bother me in the least if Hank's scandalousness was out-of-character. It's a refreshing break from the same ol', same ol'. In fact, the strongest episodes of the past two seasons have been those where they do something all new, even in the realm of Arlen, Texas.

Compared to the rest of the Sunday night line-up, including the Family Guy dud, this King of the Hill was a colossal blowout.

4.5/5

mp34mp

[10]Apr 29, 2008
    Semaj86 wrote:
    it doesn't bother me in the least if Hank's scandalousness was out-of-character. It's a refreshing break from the same ol', same ol'. In fact, the strongest episodes of the past two seasons have been those where they do something all new, even in the realm of Arlen, Texas.

I didn't find it refreshing at all. It looked more like a writer's hack job than anything. Apparently you don't take comfort in routine.

Semaj86

[11]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    mp34mp wrote:
    Semaj86 wrote:
    it doesn't bother me in the least if Hank's scandalousness was out-of-character. It's a refreshing break from the same ol', same ol'. In fact, the strongest episodes of the past two seasons have been those where they do something all new, even in the realm of Arlen, Texas.

I didn't find it refreshing at all. It looked more like a writer's hack job than anything. Apparently you don't take comfort in routine.

I'm not so much against routine, but if you're going to do the same damn thing for an extended period of time, you risk monotony, not to mention losing your audience if the pattern isn't broken once in a while.

HelloStuart

[12]Apr 30, 2008
    Semaj86 wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    Semaj86 wrote:

I'm not so much against routine, but if you're going to do the same damn thing for an extended period of time, you risk monotony, not to mention losing your audience if the pattern isn't broken once in a while.

Still, the Hank-Peggy bathroom dookie just seemed way out of character. The Simpsons and the Griffins yes, but not the Hills.

darlingdarcy

[13]May 1, 2008
    • level: 21
    Television442 wrote:

Worst....episode....ever.

Why?

1. Basing a storyline off of a Hitchcock thriller went against the established realism in the show.

2. The jokes were incredibly bad.

3. The ending where the biker bar put on "I Will Survive" because he thought disco was back was very outlandish and could never happen in real life.

4. Having relations in public is completely out of character for Hank. He would only do that sort of thing if he was drunk (and he wasn't).

Don't get me wrong - I love KOTH, but this episode was just plain awful. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this episode a solid 1.

What Hitchcock movie was this based on? The title was a play on the film title, but other than that I saw no connection between them.

I enjoyed the episode, and it had some really great jokes, like the ferris wheel one, and Peggy's discomfort with the size of her feet is a great throwback to older episodes, but something about this episode didn't thrill me. It just seemed a little scattered, and the propane/train thing seemed super unrealistic and a way to add something to the story that didn't necessarily have to be there - Hank would have been humiliated no matter what, and I don't understand why they didn't just leave it at that.

And I don't even want to think about the biker bar turned disco club at the end - ugh. It reminds me of "The Courtship of Joseph's Father" - what the heck is going on with the endings of these episodes?!

omg350

[15]May 3, 2008
    • level: 8
    I hated this episode it sucked

relaets2

[16]May 8, 2008
    • level: 7
    darlingdarcy wrote:
    the propane/train thing seemed super unrealistic and a way to add something to the story that didn't necessarily have to be there - Hank would have been humiliated no matter what, and I don't understand why they didn't just leave it at that.

oh my gosh i couldn't agree more, that in particular really bothered me

black_mage_x

[17]May 8, 2008
    • level: 22
    This episode wasn't spectacular, but it was enjoyable. I'm just glad that they didn't do the second murder plot like they've done on the Golden Girls and the Jeffersons.

mp34mp

[18]May 11, 2008
    Re-aired again tonight. Missed the part about the propane link tied in the 1st airing. Yeah, unrealistic. Conductor was hilarious, tho. Total hardass. "OFF...NOW!"

Megaman200798

[19]May 11, 2008
    • level: 13
    SuperBandit wrote:

I refuse to believe Hank would ever agree to have, "Relations" in the public bathroom of a train.

It seems completely out of character. I liked the episode however, despite it being kind of predictable. I liked when John Redcorn vouched for Nancy being with Dale all night XD

macadamwest

[20]May 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    This episode was so boring. It was absolutely the worst episode, ranking right up there with the rennisance festival one where Hanks trying to sell Propane to them.