King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

KOTH Spin-off

berberdog

[1]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    Would you watch if they made a spin-off that showed all the KOTH characters 4 years into the future? Bobby is 17 and driving his car to comedy clubs, Luanne's kid has a big role and is 4 years old, and Bill is dating a counselor, who went on a pity date with him after some sessions and ended up liking him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mp34mp

[2]Dec 3, 2008
    • level: 16
    No. Spin-offs >>> cheap gimmicks to keep making money off a brand. Berberdog, are you late to the party and missed most of King of the Hill when it originally aired? Because I felt the same way about WKRP In Cincinnati, Taxi, All in the Family, Soap / Benson, Three's Company, Buffalo Bill, The Bob Newhart Show, Late Night with David Letterman, etc. You don't seem like the older type.

HelloStuart

[3]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 63
    mp34mp wrote:
    No. Spin-offs >>> cheap gimmicks to keep making money off a brand.

I agree with Mark- the very idea of a spinoff undermines everything KOTH stands for. The show was not a cash show and never intended to be. When it's gone, it's gone.

Besides, there are rules against fan-fic in the TV.com forums.

oceanic6

[4]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 35
    But if they had to make a spin - off, i'd want it about Dale as he's one of the funniest.

skull555

[5]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 18
    A spin off of King of the Hill like that could be pretty good! I would watch it!

crazy_gamerguy

[6]Dec 12, 2008
    • level: 2
    Doubtful, very doubtful, the show's massive drop in quality seems to suggest that a spinoff would be a bad idea unless they did some major remodeling of the show. I just don't see another Frasier emerging from this show's ashes...

mp34mp

[7]Dec 12, 2008
    • level: 16
    crazy_gamerguy wrote:
    Doubtful, very doubtful, the show's massive drop in quality seems to suggest that a spinoff would be a bad idea unless they did some major remodeling of the show. I just don't see another Frasier emerging from this show's ashes...

A spin-off is about 99.999999999% dead, if not 100% at this point. "Frasier" was a one in a few generations spin-off. And even then, they changed Frasier on "Cheers" from being a Scotch & beer drinking wannabe everyman to a totally pretentious isolationist Sherry swilling snob on Frasier. As for KOTH, they've done a terrible job with this series in the past couple years, completely ignoring things from past episodes, and quite frankly, the show is now really subpar by their standards.

HelloStuart

[8]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 63
    mp34mp wrote:
    crazy_gamerguy wrote:

A spin-off is about 99.999999999% dead, if not 100% at this point. "Frasier" was a one in a few generations spin-off. And even then, they changed Frasier on "Cheers" from being a Scotch & beer drinking wannabe everyman to a totally pretentious isolationist Sherry swilling snob on Frasier. As for KOTH, they've done a terrible job with this series in the past couple years, completely ignoring things from past episodes, and quite frankly, the show is now really subpar by their standards.

Asking a cartoon to maintain some level of continuity is a very tall order. Even so, there's just not enough interest in the show (nor was there ever) to merit franchising KOTH.

joshchard

[9]Dec 27, 2008
    • level: 5
    I REALLY don't want a spin-off. It will ruin KOTH's legacy.

walkerdoug

[10]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 23
    Why would they make a spin-off. And what would they do for this spin-off that people want?