King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Only and 8.5? (aka **** about Family Guy)

sakio_hyubishi

[1]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 3

What the **** is wrong with you people? Family Guy has a 9.2 and this only has an 8.5? Sure it's been downhill (no pun intended) in the past few seasons but Family Guy has sucked since the middle of the 4th season, and it wasn't even as good as KOTH when it was in it's prime. King of the Hill is a true original, it's the only cartoon that's able to be hillarious without being too ridiculous. And not to quote South Park, but all Family Guy does for comedy is make random jokes throughout, and those jokes stopped being funny like 3 years ago. I don't even think the stuff Family Guy does nowadays even counts as jokes, they just reference pop culture with Family Guy characters in place (I quote the lame 'Amadeus' paraody) They even went so far as to remake Star Wars with Family Guy characters in place, which in my opinion was the lamest attempt at humor that's ever been on national television, it's like they just copied the script of Star Wars but drew the Family Guy characters in place of actors (they basically just copied Lego Star Wars, but with a bigger budget). On the way, coming up with a few very unfunny jokes (except for that Danny Elfman joke which I must admit made me chuckle despite the fact that it wasn't clever at all) and references. And what sickens me is people are actually buying into this stuff (I quote the success of Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans), I gotta get myself into the animation business so I can make millions by plagerizing and making fun of republicans cause that seems to be what people want nowadays.

King of the Hill is able to be funny without the constant use of references, they rely on a little something called 'original writing'. I plead for all King of the Hill fans to rerate it a 10, even if you don't think it derserves a 10, with all these ****ing children who don't know comedy from references (which can be funny in moderation but shouldn't be solely relied upon to make a show), it needs all the help it can get.

Edited on 04/08/2008 3:24pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mitu123

[2]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 14

I would think that King of the Hill should get a higher rating, but hear are my 3 reasons:

1. Inconsistent Seasons-Seasons 5-7 are very inconsistent seasons. There are great episodes that shine and worth watching over and over again, and there are episodes that are so bad that they shouldn't even exist. The bad ones suffer from lack of good jokes, annoying characters and plots that are a little too ridiculous at times. There not bad seasons, but not great ones either.

2. Seasons 10 and 11 are mediocre-Yes, even those seasons have episodes I hate, but I do like some of them. I know it's hard to make every episode good, but at least most of them should be good for T.V.

3. Season 9 SUCKED-This is the worst season of King of the Hill ever. Take the worst season of Family Guy and The Simpsons, and you have this awful season. There's only maybe 4 episodes that I like, but the rest are just pure garbage. It has the same problems as Seasons 5-7, only it's far worse. There are episodes where I was bored to death, some episodes had little to no jokes, and some new characters are just hard to like, and the plots are can be insanely bad as well. The only way I'll buy this season on DVD if it costs 5-10 dollars.

The only great seasons are 1-4, 8 and 12 IMO.

This is coming from a huge fan of King of the Hill as well, and I just gave you my opinion.

sakio_hyubishi

[3]Apr 8, 2008

That's **** about seasons 5-7, I've looked them through and all the episodes are at least in the good enough range. But I agree about the 9th, but I don't agree that it's a combination of the worst season of Family Guy and the worst season of The Simpsons.

Even so, so what if it had a bad season, most every sitcom has a bad season, that's still nothing compared to Family Guy's continued existance. They not only continue to have bad seasons but a bad and insulting show altogether.

HelloStuart

[4]Apr 8, 2008
    • level: 63
    I wouldn't use that language, but the biggest factor of all is that Family Guy has a larger and more rabid fan base than KOTH. There's power in numbers.

Dagor_88

[5]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 5
    From my observation, a majority of people who really like Family Guy (much so over other shows) are teenagers of average to sub-average intelligence with a mild case of attention deficit disorder. And without a constant barrage of random, stupid jokes, they seem to get bored and go back to their myspace page. This sample size of "people devoted to FG" is comprised of my sister and her friends, as well as some of my neighbours. It's never fails to make me smile when they say, "Man, King of the Hill is so stupid, it's not even funny." The thing I found more strange was the fact they like South Park, but when you ask them about it, it seems they really don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching FG, I just like other shows a lot more...

HelloStuart

[6]Apr 9, 2008
    Dagor_88 wrote:
    From my observation, a majority of people who really like Family Guy (much so over other shows) are teenagers of average to sub-average intelligence with a mild case of attention deficit disorder. And without a constant barrage of random, stupid jokes, they seem to get bored and go back to their myspace page. This sample size of "people devoted to FG" is comprised of my sister and her friends, as well as some of my neighbours. It's never fails to make me smile when they say, "Man, King of the Hill is so stupid, it's not even funny." The thing I found more strange was the fact they like South Park, but when you ask them about it, it seems they really don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching FG, I just like other shows a lot more...

That's a pretty biased and unscientific argument you got there. I can't emphasize enough that KOTH has always had a cult following; it's smallish but it's loyal. You should be blessed that Fox has kept the show on for so many years even though it's never built a large audience. Don't take it out on Family Guy because they have everything KOTH doesn't.

mp34mp

[7]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 16
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    What the **** is wrong with you people? Family Guy has a 9.2 and this only has an 8.5?

Well, there's a lot of angry Liberals out there who hate our show because they're mocked a lot on the show. Some people don't like Texas. Some people might consider the show "boring". King of the Hill may be a great show, but it is not a 10. For me, only the best of the best get a 10. And speaking of animation, you ever try it? It's damn hard. I was forced to do a really long flip book in the 4th grade due to it being National Cartoonists Week (I think it was in late April) and I spent hours and hours drawing it (I was known as a cartoonist and my teacher forced the assignment on me & got zero credit for it). There's hundreds and hundreds of man hours into and an episode takes a whole year to produce. Besides, it's all drawn in Korea, anyway.

sakio_hyubishi

[8]Apr 10, 2008

mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:
    What the **** is wrong with you people? Family Guy has a 9.2 and this only has an 8.5?
    Well, there's a lot of angry Liberals out there who hate our show because they're mocked a lot on the show. Some people don't like Texas. Some people might consider the show "boring". King of the Hill may be a great show, but it is not a 10. For me, only the best of the best get a 10. And speaking of animation, you ever try it? It's damn hard. I was forced to do a really long flip book in the 4th grade due to it being National Cartoonists Week (I think it was in late April) and I spent hours and hours drawing it (I was known as a cartoonist and my teacher forced the assignment on me & got zero credit for it). There's hundreds and hundreds of man hours into and an episode takes a whole year to produce. Besides, it's all drawn in Korea, anyway.

I wasn't talking about the process of drawing animation, I was talking about the writing process and comedy.

HelloStuart

[9]Apr 10, 2008

mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Well, there's a lot of angry Liberals out there who hate our show because they're mocked a lot on the show. Some people don't like Texas. Some people might consider the show "boring". King of the Hill may be a great show, but it is not a 10.

It's not a question of politics, either. FG fans are just a little more rabid than KOTH fans. After all, you don't see King of the Hill t-shirts and boxer shorts at Wal-Mart.

Edited on 04/10/2008 7:29pm

mp34mp

[10]Apr 10, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Well, there's a lot of angry Liberals out there who hate our show because they're mocked a lot on the show. Some people don't like Texas. Some people might consider the show "boring". King of the Hill may be a great show, but it is not a 10.

It's not a question of politics, either. FG fans are just a little more rabid than KOTH fans. After all, you don't see King of the Hill t-shirts and boxer shorts at Wal-Mart.

Or Peggy Hill Brand Condoms.

ModernTimes

[11]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 9
    Calm down. Do you really care about a score on a forum? All that matters is that you enjoy the show.

nadum

[12]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    Dagor_88 wrote:
    It's tantamount to a show without a laugh-track. People need to be told when to laugh. King of the Hill and Futurama made/make you work for their jokes. South Park and Family Guy do not. In addition, television viewers are by and large a stupid people.

nadum

[13]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    I'm a Philly boy who's extremely condescending as it pertains to the South, but KOTH is one of my favorite series. I always felt it does a great job of playing on the stereotypes we both have of each other. Hank disproves many preconceived notions we have of Southerns but also displays his own inaccurate prejudices of us yankees.

HelloStuart

[14]Apr 14, 2008
    nadum wrote:
    It's tantamount to a show without a laugh-track. People need to be told when to laugh. King of the Hill and Futurama made/make you work for their jokes. South Park and Family Guy do not. In addition, television viewers are by and large a stupid people.

nadum wrote:
    I'm a Philly boy who's extremely condescending as it pertains to the South, but KOTH is one of my favorite series. I always felt it does a great job of playing on the stereotypes we both have of each other. Hank disproves many preconceived notions we have of Southerns but also displays his own inaccurate prejudices of us yankees.

Hmm... must be a Phillies fan...

Dagor_88

[15]Apr 15, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Dagor_88 wrote:

That's a pretty biased and unscientific argument you got there. I can't emphasize enough that KOTH has always had a cult following; it's smallish but it's loyal. You should be blessed that Fox has kept the show on for so many years even though it's never built a large audience. Don't take it out on Family Guy because they have everything KOTH doesn't.

It was more of a joke than a strong, well thought out argument...Family Guy just seems to appeal to a larger group of people.

darlingdarcy

[16]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 21
    mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Why would liberals be turned off of KOTH? I am extremely liberal and KOTH is my favorite show. There's nothing in it that makes it more red or more blue. They make fun of conservatives quite a lot as well, one episode that comes to mind is "Square Peg," where they argue against the typical conservative stance of no sex ed/abstinence-only education. Also, Hank's views on a man's role in the family are quite old-fashioned, and often lead to a lot of trouble, like in "Queasy Rider" when he insists on driving instead of letting Peggy, or in "Racist Dawg" when he doesn't want anyone but him fixing the water heater, despite the risks. I don't see why anyone who LIKES Texas would like this show, if they make fun of anything consistently, it's definitely Texas and the stereotypical football mania ("Peggy Makes the Big Leagues", "Care-Takin Care of Business").

Dagor_88

[17]Apr 17, 2008
    darlingdarcy wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Why would liberals be turned off of KOTH? I am extremely liberal and KOTH is my favorite show. There's nothing in it that makes it more red or more blue. They make fun of conservatives quite a lot as well, one episode that comes to mind is "Square Peg," where they argue against the typical conservative stance of no sex ed/abstinence-only education. Also, Hank's views on a man's role in the family are quite old-fashioned, and often lead to a lot of trouble, like in "Queasy Rider" when he insists on driving instead of letting Peggy, or in "Racist Dawg" when he doesn't want anyone but him fixing the water heater, despite the risks. I don't see why anyone who LIKES Texas would like this show, if they make fun of anything consistently, it's definitely Texas and the stereotypical football mania ("Peggy Makes the Big Leagues", "Care-Takin Care of Business").

Exactly, I'm left-wing Canadian and I love the show, being "liberal" may not have much to do with enjoying KOTH but perhaps "angry liberal" does.

mp34mp

[18]Apr 18, 2008
    darlingdarcy wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Um... Mike Judge lives in Texas and I think the show celebrates being a proud gun-shootin' meat-eating Texan more than making fun of it. Football rules in Texas and they never put it down on KOTH. This show makes fun of Liberals, Nor-easters, artsy fartsy people, yuppies, Californians, vegetarians, sleeze artists, etc etc. I'd say KOTH is very red. They did a whole episode on George W. Bush for god's sake.

mp34mp

[19]Apr 18, 2008
    Dagor_88 wrote:
    darlingdarcy wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

Exactly, I'm left-wing Canadian and I love the show, being "liberal" may not have much to do with enjoying KOTH but perhaps "angry liberal" does.

A Liberal Canadian. Killing two birds with one stone. If I was a Liberal, I would not enjoy KOTH. I would find Hank's level-headedness and old fashioned values annoying (as a lot of Liberal / non-traditional characters on the show do), and would find Peggy's right-winged voting habits completely hypocritical and opposite with her attitude and lifestyle.

HelloStuart

[20]Apr 21, 2008

mp34mp wrote:
    Dagor_88 wrote:
    darlingdarcy wrote:
    mp34mp wrote:
    sakio_hyubishi wrote:

A Liberal Canadian. Killing two birds with one stone. If I was a Liberal, I would not enjoy KOTH. I would find Hank's level-headedness and old fashioned values annoying (as a lot of Liberal / non-traditional characters on the show do), and would find Peggy's right-winged voting habits completely hypocritical and opposite with her attitude and lifestyle.

I'm moderate-left and I don't find Hank annoying. On the other hand, you don't have to be politically active to dislike Peggy.

Edited on 04/21/2008 6:14pm