King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

"The Courtship of Joseph's Father" (4-13-08)

Did you like the episode?

darlingdarcy

[1]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 21

After Joseph becomes the star quarterback at Tom Landry Middle School a private school tries to recruit him by plying Dale with gifts.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

darlingdarcy

[2]Apr 15, 2008
    While I loved this episode, one of the things that really bothered me and will always keep it from being one of my favorites is the somewhat goofy ending with Dale leaving Joseph at the Senator's house (at least, one of the rich parents' house). While it led to some great jokes - 'I don't remember what you looks like!' - it was just a little too ridiculous, and I doubt an adult would leave a kid outside his parents house just assuming his mom will be back shortly.

Overall, this was a great episode until the last five minutes when it became borderline good/okay.

Jon_MW_14

[3]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 39
    This episode was really good but not as funny as other episodes. I was kinda hoping Joseph would find out that John Redcorn is his real father but I guess that will never happen.

Semaj86

[4]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    This is one of those episodes where one really has to question the writers' taste. The ending tagline was a horribly unfunny phrase, and it doesn't help that Joseph had almost no personality in this story, playing the pawn of yet another one of Dale's bizarre schemes.

It would've been better if they focused more on Joseph, since many Dale episodes turn out rather annoying anyway.

aaron304142

[5]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 38
    It was good but not great.

mp34mp

[6]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    a throw-away episode.

berberdog

[7]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 7
    I liked this episode because it seemed to be the first episode to really be focused on Joseph Gribble. In almost every other episode, Joseph just seems to be a background character. Sure Dale might have had a few more lines than Joseph did, but I still liked how much Joseph appeared and talked in it. The only other episode that I can think of (that I've seen) where Joseph played a big part in the episode was the one where Bobby was turning 13 and was jealous that Joseph had started puberty and that he hadn't. Overall, it was a decent episode.

Semaj86

[8]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    berberdog wrote:
    I liked this episode because it seemed to be the first episode to really be focused on Joseph Gribble. In almost every other episode, Joseph just seems to be a background character. Sure Dale might have had a few more lines than Joseph did, but I still liked how much Joseph appeared and talked in it. The only other episode that I can think of (that I've seen) where Joseph played a big part in the episode was the one where Bobby was turning 13 and was jealous that Joseph had started puberty and that he hadn't. Overall, it was a decent episode.

It has to be more than just a person in an episode and talking.

Here, the writers didn't do enough to explore Joseph's character. He was too passive. Why did Joseph let his dad push him around the whole time? Why couldn't Joseph figure his own way out of this mess? Why was there little attention paid to actual football?

This is the type of lopsided storytelling that the writers did away with for a while. There's clearly more work to be done.

darlingdarcy

[9]Apr 17, 2008
    Semaj86 wrote:
    berberdog wrote:

It has to be more than just a person in an episode and talking.

Here, the writers didn't do enough to explore Joseph's character. He was too passive. Why did Joseph let his dad push him around the whole time? Why couldn't Joseph figure his own way out of this mess? Why was there little attention paid to actual football?

This is the type of lopsided storytelling that the writers did away with for a while. There's clearly more work to be done.

I thought it was odd that Dale was afraid of Joseph or at least intimidated by him, like in "Of Mice and Little Green Men" and "Smoking and the Bandit" - in "Smoking" in particular, Joseph won't even get out of the bathroom when Dale asked.

I think it would have been better if Joseph was rally conceited about his football ability, and told Dale he can't make him do anything he doesn't want to. That would have been more realistic, in KOTH and in reality.

coolchris44

[10]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 22

it was okay.

too much dale.

it was funny when joseph was trying to fit in by acting silly but the rich kids ingnored him becuse it reminded me of something my friend nick might do to get attention.

HelloStuart

[11]Apr 21, 2008
    • level: 63
    Dale-centric episodes tend to be hit-and-miss, but this one was somewhere in the middle. Joseph is pretty much a pushover no matter which way you look at him, so that wasn't really a stretch. The problem with this episode was similar to what made "Six Characters in Search of a House" a weak effort- it just didn't feel grounded in reality. We knew he was a decent athlete, but a starting quarterback, and a Street & Smith prospect? Nah...