King of the Hill Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

What is the meaning of "Keeping Up With Our Joneses" ?

Gribbler

[1]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 1

Hi

This is my first post here! I just watched (about the 4th time an early episode with a title we have never understood. Maybe it is an American thing? Would love to know after all these years!

Cheers

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 63
    Gribbler wrote:

Hi

This is my first post here! I just watched (about the 4th time an early episode with a title we have never understood. Maybe it is an American thing? Would love to know after all these years!

Cheers

"Jonesing" is a '90s slang term for being hungry or having an addiction to something. Example: "Man, I'm jonesing for some Fritos."

Gribbler

[3]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Thanks to HelloStuart for satisfying our curiosity about that title! HelloStuart is certainly not a giblet head

darlingdarcy

[4]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 21
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Gribbler wrote:

Hi

Cheers

"Jonesing" is a '90s slang term for being hungry or having an addiction to something. Example: "Man, I'm jonesing for some Fritos."

Technically the phrase means to compete with someone, usually the neighbors (the Joneses) and keep up with them and their things - cars, lawns, etc. Example - "The Joneses just got a new boat - we need to get a better one!")

However the word "Joneses" does mean craving something in this context, which changes the meaning of the phrase.