King of the Hill

Luanne Gets Lucky

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Mar 25, 2007 on FOX

• When Lucky declines a romantic evening with Luanne in favour of going "stumping" with Hank and the gang, she makes a date with a young student to go to the senior prom with him – much to the anger of Lucky's two friends. Not outstanding, but a nice ep...

From the first act of this episode, I wasn't expecting much. It was okay, but definitely not classic 'King of the Hill'. However, to my pleasant surprise, over the rest of the episode, it developed into a very reasonable story overall.

I'm not sure if 'stumping' is a real Texan thing, or something invented for this episode. But the whole plot of Luanne going to the senior prom with the young and terrified young student is well played out, and has a lot of good moments.

One thing I would say from this season so far, is that we haven't had any stories devoted to Hank himself. Even though the show is very much an ensemble piece, Hank is still the 'main' character. But looking at the title of the next episode, 'Hank Gets Dusted', maybe this is about to be rectified.

That said, it is a nice change to have an episode based around Luanne and Lucky. Lucky is an interesting character - neither outstandingly likeable nor dislikeable, but makes for some good moments.

All-in-all, a reasonable episode, but the opening episode, 'The Peggy Horror Picture Show', still stands as the best episode this season thus far, IMO.
MNT