King of the Hill

My Own Private Rodeo

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Apr 28, 2002 on FOX

• It Was a Gay Ol Time!

One of my favourite episodes, and one that helps the case for Season 6 being one of the best! It had a great plot and was incredibly funny. It was not the best portrayal of gay people however, this show has always made fun of the typical American and how stupid and ignorant they can be. Dale couldn't tell his dad was gay, no matter how obvious it was, and it even took Hank, Bill and Boomhauer a while to figure out they were at a gay rodeo, and I think that was part of the show. Them being so oblivious is what makes this show funny. If they were masculine then it would make sense they couldn't figure it all out. Dale, obviously steals the show in this one, and Jaun-Pedro is probably one of my favourite one time appearances. Overall a fantastic episode, and a KOTH classic.
  • I did like the fact that they introduced a gay character however it was played more for camp and stereotypes.

i liked the fact that they had a gay character ,in this case Dales dad was gay and lived a lie and succumbed to pressures from peers and family to do so. What I didn't like was they made him effeminate and did the stereotypical thing of making the gay man use fem pronouns and act like a queen. I do go to gay rodeo and while they do have camp events like goat dressing etc , the men are quite masculine , they aren't all YMCA dancing idiots. This episode used some bad cliches by playing RUPAUL and Village People ,Im surprised they didnt play Barbra Streisand.

Dales dad didn't have to be portrayed as an old queen stereotype nor did they have to use such really bad feminine role models like his lover who was an over the top mexican queen in daisy dukes. i just wish for once they would portray ordinary masculine men who are gay. Plenty of those out there. As for the other reviewer hinting why did he kiss Nancy , he was scared and was not drunk , he didn't want Dale to see him even near the Filipino guy.

• Oh my god the gay rodeo episode is hilarious.

I thought the episode with Dales dad coming back for the wedding was hilarious the last thing I was expecting is Dales Dad being gay. I thought the gay rodeo scene was so funny with Dales dad putting underwear on the goat. I think they should bring Dales dad back in one of the future episodes. I think gay people are funny as hell. I thought it was odd that Dales dad ould kiss his wife. Instead of kissing Dales wife he could of just stop kissing the gay guy. Why would you go and kiss the bride. I guess he was a little after party drunk.