King of the Hill

Night and Deity

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM May 11, 2003 on FOX

• Cooo(l) Episode

This was a pretty good episode, and while there wasn't a ton of laughs, it was still pretty entertaining and had me smiling through most of it. All three plot lines were interesting, and had moments of humour. I always find it funny when Hank gets drunk, because he seems like the type of guy who would never do drink that much. It was interesting to see Nancy jealous and worried that Dale might leave her, and Dale shows that he really is in love with Nancy. Overall it was a very sweet and yet funny episode. Not bad in this very up and down season.
  • Dale calls in Sheila, Arlen's best exterminator and also a beautiful woman, to help him when a pigeon infestation strikes Rainey Street. Nancy is suspicious when Sheila and Dale get very friendly, and she begins to worry she may lose him.

This is one of the best of the Dale-Nancy-Jon Redcorn love triangle episodes ("Peggy's Headache," "Nancy's Boys," "Spin the Choice," "Of Mice and Little Green Men" and "Night and Deity"). The plot line has been my favorite of all the King of the Hill story arcs, and this episode wraps it up perfectly – not only does Nancy get a slight taste of her own medicine, Dale truly proves his love for Nancy. Nancy's insecurity combined with Peggy's nonchalance is hilarious - Nancy: "Wouldn't that be poetic justice? I come back to Dale and he runs off with another woman?"
    Peggy: "I'd call it ironic, but you're the one it's happening to so you can call it whatever you want."

Dale is also oblivious to Nancy’s deep anxiety concerning Dale and Sheila. After Nancy catches Dale checking out Sheila’s butt, Dale insists he can’t help it - "She's got your hot bod and my hot mind! It's like a science experiment that went horribly right!"

Nancy begins using Dale's surveillance equipment to spy on Dale and Sheila, and just becomes more and more worried. "Tomorrow night they're going on an overnight extermination trip. Just like when Jon Redcorn and I went on our ‘migraine cruise’ to Encinada."

Despite his attraction for Sheila, the “god” of Arlen exterminators, he never strays, despite Sheila’s advances, and his praise for Nancy are some of the most romantic lines ever uttered on King of the Hill – “I’m not going to lie, I have felt a small, insect-like attraction for you. But my wife is the greatest woman there ever was! I think you should go.”

The only scenes that detract from this episode and prevent it from earning a perfect 10 is Bill and Boomhauer's "talking down" of the alpha pigeon after Dale and Sheila give it poison so it will freak out and the rest of the flock will desert it. The whole thing is a little too silly and eats up time that would be better spent on Dale, Sheila and Nancy.