King of the Hill

Rich Hank, Poor Hank

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Jan 04, 2004 on FOX

7.8
  • Richie Hank!

This was a pretty good episode of KOTH. It, like many of the later episodes, didn't have a ton of laughs, but was entertaining enough, and had enough humour to keep me from being bored. I liked how the handled the Bobby and Hank relationship, by allowing Bobby in on the finances without having Hank change his character. Often in shows they make a character do something they normally wouldn't for the sake of a plot, but they didn't do that in this episode. I think the Bobby/Hank chemistry was really great in this episode, and has always been one of my favourite aspects of the show.
  • When Bobby overhears his parents discussing money, he suddenly assumes that his family is rich and tries to get in on the action.

When Hank gets his annual bonus and jokes with Peggy about how much he makes, Bobby overhears and assumes that Hank makes that much everyday. He discusses the matter with his friends and they decide that Hank must really be a wealthy miser who is hoarding cash. So, in an attempt to get his hands on some of the family cash, Bobby steals the emergency credit card and goes on a spending spree.

I think this is the finest King of the Hill episode written to date. It really is a slice of American life and portrays the way many working class families teach their kids about money - by never discussing it with them. I can understand every character's point of view in this episode, Hank's, Bobby's, the neighborhood kids and even the adults in the neighborhood who are willing to believe a crazy rumor that they know in their hearts can't really be true.

King of the Hill may be one of the finest working class comedies to ever show on American TV. It has a good message and, despite the fact that it is a cartoon, the show accurately portrays the way working class people think and act. Mike Judge and the rest of the production team can be proud of their product.