King of the Hill

Trans-Fascism

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Feb 10, 2008 on FOX

• When a food ban is implemented, Hank helps Buck to set up a black market food van feeling that the law is unjust and people have the right to eat unhealthy fatty foods if they want.

The food ban in this episode shows many of the downfalls of prohibition and the war on drugs of today. When trans-fats are banned,people are outraged, the demand remains and Buck Strickland becomes the exclusive supplier. Prices are inflated and corrupt officers take bribes allowing the unhealthy foods to be sold on the black market. When competition from Roosters Roost arrives, a turf war ensues and people get sick by eating tainted food. Meanwhile Bill gains weight and becomes more unhealthy by eating the government sanctioned alternative to trans-fats. Just like the moonshine of prohibition and the talcum powder cocaine of today and the turf wars fought for control of the drug supply,though unfortunately in real life, unlike in this episode, the government doesn't feel we should be able to control what goes into our bodies and make the streets unsafe to walk because of the black market violence. Yet alcohol, which is more dangerous than many illicit drugs is readily available to anyone of the right age. The message this episode sends is clear, we don't need the government to babysit us. We should be free to eat, drink, smoke or even inject what we want, provided we don't harm anyone else, making things illegal doesn't prevent access it just makes it more dangerous. Drugs are freely available on the streets and dealers aren't checking IDs.