King of the Hill

You Gotta Believe (In Moderation)

Aired Sunday 8:30 AM Jan 29, 2006 on FOX

• In an attempt to raise money for the school baseball team, Hank invites a leading softball team, renowned for their on-field antics, to play his own community league team. But things turn sour when he plays the game to win. Not one of my favourites...

6.8
    Straight off I'll admit that I'm not really a sports fan, and even beyond that, baseball is mostly an American thing (I'm a Brit), but even so, I can't say that I overly enjoyed this episode.

There have been other sports-themed episodes of the series, but they mostly served up interesting stories at least. This one just didn't do it for me.

It's always nice to see Hank and the neighbourhood characters acting as a team and eventually winning agains the odds, but beyond that I found the story mostly unappealing.

Things could at least done with a seperate b-story to even things out a bit, but no such luck.

I didn't realise until the closing credits rolled, that the guest voice was John Schneider, best known as Bo Duke in 'The Dukes of Hazzard', one of my all-time favourite television series (yes really!!). So it's a shame that he guested on such an unmemorable episode. He could have done with a better character, one where he sent up his 'good ol' boy' persona more.

I'm watching these episode through Channel 4 (U.K.)'s irregular, middle-of-the-night broadcasts, but they jumped from the season premiere ('Hanks On Board') to this episode for some unknown reason (go figure!). So I can't speak for the episodes in between as of yet, but certainly in terms of their broadcast order, this is the weakest episode of the series I've seen in some time.