Kings

Goliath, Part 1

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2009 on NBC

• I would have liked a show like Kings not to live on the mercy of the ratings and instead see it be able to lead a quiet and conclusive life on a cable network like HBO, AMC or Showtime.

Goliath is a great start for a show, but I can't help but wonder why a network like NBC bothered to pick this up. Saga-like series doesn't work on network television and NBC should understand that, especially after their struggles with Heroes. Kings is bound to dwindle in the ratings and die before the show really hits its stride, and it's near-guaranteed demise makes it a lot harder for me to follow. This is a shame because the premise is great, the show exhibits excellent production values with good writing, and the acting is mostly well-executed by an ensemble cast lead by the charismatic and eloquent Ian McShane. I would have liked a show like Kings not to live on the mercy of the ratings and instead see it be able to lead a quiet and conclusive life on a cable network like HBO, AMC or Showtime.