Kings

Goliath, Part 1

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2009 on NBC

• A King with no crown huh? Weird. Could be mistaken for anyone. Good show, though.

As usual, I give a new pilot until it's first commercial break to keep me interested. Kings is lucky the premise is so fascinating. I was ready to tune out by minute 15, but by minute 20, I was really interested in where things were going. There seems to be so much depth filled behind McShane's words as King Silas that really, I think the show would be even stronger focusing only on him and his rule and not the young upstart, David. I like the kid, but he's played kind of like the "perfect" human being. What I mean by this is he has no flaws. He's young good looking, fixes cars, super polite, humble, a dedicated patriot and soldier, and even plays the piano! Look out ladies! (Gag me.) With the drama behind Silas' son (the prototypical young prince who's wild night life may cost him the throne) and the possible affair by the queen, this has the makings of something on the level of The West Wing + The Sopranos, something I'm much more welcome to if they keep the O.C. elements out. "Kings" is the ultimate in escapist TV (who doesn't daydream of being royalty?) and as long as the writing stays compelling, I'll be able to overlook the silly names of these places (Gilboa?) in this 'alternate-universe'.