Kitchen Confidential Forums

FOX (ended 2005)

Very unfortunate that this show was canned.

crashingdoors

[1]May 29, 2007
    • level: 13

I just finished watching every episode on DVD, and must say that I have not laughed that hard at a sitcom in quite a while. I only saw 3 of the 4 episodes when they actually aired, and remember liking the show. Then I forgot about it due to FOX's inability to market a good show.

Anyway, it really is unfortunate that this show didn't get a chance. FOX needs to grow some stones and actually stick with a show that doesn't grab an audience right off the bat. They expect big hits and if a show doesn't attain that status by the first couple episodes, they pull the plug. 

Kitchen Confidential is hilarious. Buy the DVD - it's worth every penny. If you do buy it, watch it with friends. Get it out there, even though it's never coming back. The people behind the show put too much work and creativity in this thing for it to just fall completely into obscurity.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crashingdoors

[2]May 29, 2007
    One thing can be said about FOX though: they might not give some shows a chance, but at least they put together an "A+" DVD release. It's great especially because it's a show they never gave a chance.

Ho_Man

[3]May 31, 2007
    • level: 33
    crashingdoors wrote:

I just finished watching every episode on DVD, and must say that I have not laughed that hard at a sitcom in quite a while. I only saw 3 of the 4 episodes when they actually aired, and remember liking the show. Then I forgot about it due to FOX's inability to market a good show.

Anyway, it really is unfortunate that this show didn't get a chance. FOX needs to grow some stones and actually stick with a show that doesn't grab an audience right off the bat. They expect big hits and if a show doesn't attain that status by the first couple episodes, they pull the plug. 

Kitchen Confidential is hilarious. Buy the DVD - it's worth every penny. If you do buy it, watch it with friends. Get it out there, even though it's never coming back. The people behind the show put too much work and creativity in this thing for it to just fall completely into obscurity.

So true. I can't get the DVD but I've seen every episode. It's good to know someone out there appreciates a show of such calibre. Couldn't agree more about FOX growing some stones.

bbartelt

[4]Jun 6, 2007
    • level: 4
    What did you like about the DVD?

rapzin

[5]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 6
    The DVD included every episode of the series. Most never aired plus there was a featurate about the show after it was cancelled. Informative but left me wanting more.

bernsd3

[6]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 9

This was just another example of how bad the business of TV Network programming has become. The decision by FOX to cancel this show that they had just picked up for network airing is all about the advertising revenue & those pesky "Nielsen families". I really loved this show when it went on. With Ncholas Brendon from Buffy, Bradley Cooper from Alias, John Cho from everything, John Francis Daley from Freaks & Geeks & Frank Langella, how could it go wrong. Well put it on at a bad time, let the Nielsen families decide what TV is good these days & you get what you get. Funny & thought provoking TV for some reason is falling to the wayside while reality shows are the only ones these days that seem like "shoo-ins".

Image:Kitchen Confidential DVD.jpg

kravitzfan12

[7]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 34
    I too bought the DVD set, but was dissapointed by the progression from pilot to some of the rest of the episodes (haven't finished watching the complete series yet). I thought the pilot was really great, and then the show slowly started to decline. For me, it wasn't all to great, but I would have loved to have seen how the show progressed into multiple seasons. I'm sorry its gone.

bernsd3

[8]May 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Just finished watching Kitchen on hulu.com & I must say -- the unaired episodes were great. After those first couple of aired episodes, this show actually got a whole lot funnier. To imagine that the general viewer will never watch these episodes just because FOX did their normal thing in cancelling a show way too early ......

crashingdoors

[9]May 21, 2008

bbartelt wrote:
    What did you like about the DVD?

Other than collecting every episode - including those that were not aired - the DVD set has quite a lot to like.

1) The menus are great. They really fit with the show.

It's a really simply layout, but unlike a lot of DVDs that get slapped together, this one looks really clean and well produced. Plus it shows a lot of the cast, it's easy to navigate, and as I mentioned before, it fits with the overall story (restaraunt, big city).

2) The DVDs themselves aren't double sided... I HATE when DVDs are double sided! The first season of Bones was on double sided discs, God knows why; so I was surprised that KC was on two single-sided discs instead of 1 single-sided.

3) The set came with a little "episode guide" - a double sided insert that gives a little info on each episode, along with pictures of the cast, and air dates (for the few episodes that made it to air, anyway).

4) Both featurettes were actually really fun to watch, as well as being informative. We get to see the cast after the show was canned, getting to see each other again. They really loved working together and you could tell that they bonded, which just adds to the devastation of the show being cancelled. Knowing that they all got along so well just makes me love the show that much more. I haven't listened to the commentaries (I rarely listen to any commentaries for any DVD, outside of Kevin Smith's) but it's cool that they did some.

My only (small) complaint is that they put the series out in a regular DVD case. I prefer TV DVDs being put out in those fold-out packages (House, the original 24 releases, Lost), or even the slim-cases (like they use for most TV sets now). Granted it's only two discs, but it'd have been nice if KC had the slim-case set. On the upside to this, the case comes with the outer-cardboard sleeve. Again, there's a really simple design on the cover which features the main cast.