Kitchen Confidential

FOX (ended 2005)

Kitchen Confidential Fan Reviews (56)

• The show tries too hard...

The show tries too hard to be funny and edgy, but I don't think it's working so far. Bradley Cooper is okay in his role, although the writing isn't exactly spectacular, he manages to create a somewhat interesting character. The other actors are left with nothing much to do, so at this point, it's kinda hard to judge them. I guess that my expectations from Darren Star were a bit too high, but considering that Miss Match didn't really work for me I should've suspected. His best work is still Sex and the City and the short-lived Grosse Pointe, which also starred Bonnie Somerville, was another great show. I'll probably watch the next couple of episodes to see what will happen, but I don't think this show will last long, especially considering the ratings for the premiere, but I have to say that I was glad the show doesn't have a laugh track, which is always a plus.
  • The show isnt\' as funny as i thought it was going to be, but i\'ll give it a chance.

I dont like that fact that John Choe (milf man,harold and kumar goes to white castle) isn\'t on the credits. Hollywood dising another asian actor. when will we get our chance? =(

If you guys didnt notice, during episode 2 when they were in the fridge the fan coolers werent\' runnin.
  • I didn't say bring it back because i know nobody is listening at least i can say watch 13 episode cuz thats all we got and you will enjoy every one of them..

7.1
    This is was good show absolutely canceled very early. He was got good characters and also charismatic lead actor. But like all tv tragedy this show is sacrifice first ratings and cancelled so much early. If they give some chance to this show it would be a classic when the all things settled. I didn't say bring it back because i know nobody is listening at least i can say to you watch all of 13 episode cuz thats all we got and you will enjoy every one of them. This a good show about flavour, sex and new beginnings.
  • Very funny show, but still is missing something

7.2
    This is a very funny series that if you watch from begginnning to end are sure to laugh. But it's missing one major ingredient. Time.

I think that all the scenes are usually good. They have good actors, funny writers, and a good idea. But where it really lacks is time. If it was an hour long I think they could really add to the comedy of the show. It just seems like everything is so fast paced I have to almost pause it to laugh so that I don't miss anything.
  • Bring it back with a better script...GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!

Even though I didn't give a great score on this one but personally, I like it... I love every story about food, kitchen, and chef... I don't know is there any other show about kitchen but this show pretty good... The stress in the kitchen is the opposite of what i saw on Hell's Kitchen. They all crazy chefs, love pranks, and women. It's hard to imagine that our chef is making all that mess in the kitchen... very disturbing, have sex in the stock room, but after all, this is a show... grey's anatomy and scrubs sure did it... doctors have sex in almost every cosed room... NO great laugh come from this show but i like the idea... so bring it back... and give a good script!
  • Take two stars of two very successful shows and mix till smooth and heat slowly, a recipe for success? Not yet, but there's definitely potential.

It seems this season, a lot of shows are released that feature stars from former shows. This necessarily isn't a bad thing, it just generates a sort of expectation that nine out of ten times never will be fulfilled. Usually, the succes of the former shows is never repeated and people are let down.

So, what do have here? Bradley Cooper, known as Will from "Alias", the journalist reporter who knew too much and eventually had to go into witness protection, thus marking his end in "Alias". To me, he was never the comedical type, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. And then we have Nicholas Brendon, who actually played the comical side-kick Xander in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". And he was funny and integral to the humorous part of Buffy.

So, does that make KC funny? Don't know yet... it had me laughing a few times, but it tries to be a dark humour kind of show, like "Dead Like Me", and it's not hitting that spot quite yet. Probably, this show has to evolve a bit, but it should not rely on situations like a chopped off finger to create problematic situations and rely more on the cast, which I think is a great one.

• This show could be good:) The premise is actually kinda interesting so that could be good.

I can't figure out if this show is going to be good or not. I watched it the other night, just because I love Bradley Cooper. It was sort of funny I guess. It's had to tell with just one episode under their belt. I would say they have a pretty good cast though. That will probably keep me intriqued for at least a little while. I don't usually watch a lot of comedies so this could be a interesting addition to my weekly lineup.
  • It could use a little work or maybe a better time slot.

Fox's own "Kitchen Confidential," a companion piece to "Arrested Development," stops just shy of being a traditional sitcom while leaning on what must now be considered less than cutting-edge techniques: talking to the camera, voice-over, quick-cuts, etc.

"Kitchen Confidential," based on the life of chef-writer Anthony Bourdain, is funnier than most sitcoms, with little quirks and one-liners that hint at some sharper teeth underneath. In no way, however, is it in the same league as "Arrested Development."

That's probably why Fox chose it. There's a passable wackiness to "Kitchen Confidential" that gives it some street (or is that critical?) credibility when positioned next to, say, CBS' "Out of Practice."
  • The Kitchen needs a little work but much better than some of the new sitcoms i have seen

I think i would have liked this show more if it had a different time slot. I just find arrested develpment on a different level than this show. Anyway ignoring the fact that the other show exists(not like anyone watches it lol) this show had some great moments. The scene with the finger had me rolling. The cast is an eclectic mix of people that seem like potential for some great humor. The dumb blonde waitress was a personal favorite. I think the show has some potential and i think fox has a great monday night of tv coupled with arrested development and prison break.
  • A fantastic comedy but I discovered it had been concelled the day I discovered it existed. Yeah, another good show that's been "Foxed".

7.6
    You really start to laugh at the second episode, the first episode is a little hard to get into, the tone, the universe has to be grasped. But then you get hooked. The cast is amazing! I recognized most of the actors even though I didnt know their names and they're all great bringing to their characters dimensions.

So why has it been cancelled? There is no logic answer to that question. They stopped airing it after 4 episodes, ending it on a superb episode guest staring Michael Vartan, who was absolutely hilarious . It's an old school kinda humor which can make it seem unoriginal but it's not, it's just old school. I think it would've been a great thing aside all the trash TV Fox is doing nowadays and their big drama/action shows which they're probably gonna screw one moment or another because it's just what they do...
  • Fun characters and great premise, might have been a great show given the chance.

Tonight i heard the news that 'Kitchen Confidential', alongside the greatly mourned 'Arrested Development', are cancelled. And it's a shame. 'KC' was a show that had great promise. It had a great, good looking talented cast (including personal fave and 'Buffy' alumni Nicholas Brendon) a hip, cool setting (a pirate crew of chefs and waiters at a posh New York resteraunt) and is based on the writings of Tony Bourdain, the darn coolest chef and TV host you'll ever see. The writing was great, and though the episodes weren't knee-slapping hilarious, the dialogue was sharp and quick paced. It was obvious the show was going places story wise, but now we'll never see how they would have panned out. A very underappreciated show.
  • I fresh take on life in the kitchen with biting humor at the expense of one's intent.

I was skeptical of this show being anything more than a rip off of the classic Food Network show: Iron Chef and the disgusting American version Iron Chef America. The cast is fresh with good talent. My only concern with the first episode was when the over-the-top heterosexual scene when the head chef try’s to be seductive as he interacts with the four drunken women and then later try’s to push off the sexual advances of those women later on is a total straight man fantasy! This type of repellent, degenerative genre needs to be totally restricted from future shows otherwise it will die on the spot.
  • Good new conceot for a sitcom, but needed a better pilot episode.

I liked the whole \"chef\" thing. The concept of troubles in a restaurant, the fights, and arguments and also funny lines. I liked the cast as well. Nicholas Brandon, Bonnie Sommerville and Brandon Cooper are my faves in this show.
    But I\'m worried cause the ratings were low.
    The first episode was good, but not good enough for a pilot. I don\'t know.. I felt like something is missing.
    But it does seems good and it\'s a good family sitcom and it might save the genre that is already much explored.
    A fresh idea, good cats. Just need better scripts and better lines.
  • A new and improved BBC's Chef with an edge.

Always a fan of cooking shows like the Iron Chef, My Restaurant Rules and Hell's Kitchen, finally there is one that is scripted. What is so enjoyable about Kitchen Confidential is it denotes all the issues in a light and funny kind of way. It also exposes some of the realities that chefs have to face.

The show is fast paced without giving the feeling of rush which is excellent for today's short attention span. If all episodes are as good as the pilot, this will become one of my favourite shows. The show makes me wanna go out there and start cooking!!!
  • Kitchen Confidential, new, fresh, and edgy.

This show looks like it\\\'s going to be pretty good. It\\\'s got a different and very original plot line that interests me quite a bit. I\\\'m also impressed with the people they got to play the main characters. I\\\'m glad that Nicholas Brendon from Buffy is playing a character in this show. Looks like a fun show overall! :)
  • It made me snarf!

This show was so funny. It really captured life in an upscale hash house. I had met each of the characters types when I worked in a fine dinning restaurant in my teenage years. People would probably never eat out if they knew what really goes on in the "back of the house." It was good to be reminded of the zaniness of working in the food business.
  • Bradley Cooper and the rest of the cast were fabulous in Kitchen Confidential. If only the show lasted longer it could of been the next great sitcom.

Kitchen Confidential came out of nowhere when it premiered and it had little to no advertisements and the show probably was mistaken by many as a cooking show. This however was not the case, Kitchen Confidential was a sitcom about chefs.

The show was probably one of the most risky and sexually urinated on FOX, and it was absolutely hilarious. Bradley Cooper was sensational, along with a cast of wonderful characters. I really wish the show could have lasted longer, and chances are we will never see the show again. I only hope that we can at least get the 6 episodes on DVD someday. Bring it back fox please!

I just find it odd that you can cancel a show by only airing 3 episodes!! Fox sucks when it comes to comedy but I hope someone else picks it up along with ADevelopment. They gonna always be behind the big 3 networks, thats a given, so why cancel great shows. I like Joey but even it doesn\'t compare to most Fox comedies but at least they get a chance to shine on other networks before being axed!
  • Could have been better but was decent for what it was.

Started somewhere and hits some high points but not every episode was a home run. "French Fight" remains my favorite episode and Becky was my favorite reoccurring character. The idea of Jack getting laid a lot was nice for a while but it being his only storyline for the entire series (other than cooking which almost everyone on the show does, so it doesn't count) got old, very quick. Great guest stars were a big help but it doesn't matter how famous or popular they were, they only stayed around for an episode. On occasion the moments during the closing credits were the funniest thing to happen in that episode. In conclusion, although I don't think FOX should have cancelled it, I do think that the filler episodes should have definitely gone unaired.
  • It figures, Fox cancels a good show like this, and keeps garbage like Trading Spouses on the air.

Kitchen Confidential may not have the greatest show in history, but it was good. I watched each week, and enjoyed it. The episode with John Larroquette was great. Kitchen offered good writing, interesting characters and good movement. The show flowed very well with no stops that could distract you from the comedy. This would be an example of a show that should be allowed to continue, but Fox drops it, and continues garbage like Trading Spouses. Heaven forbid you might let the audience enjoy a little intelligent comedy, instead of cramming down their throats another reality show. We already have to endure way too many commercials just to watch t.v., let alone get stuck with bad shows on top of it.

Please bring back Kitchen Confidential. Some of us are sick and tired of mind numbing, brain cell stealing shows like Trading Spouses, and would prefer a good comedy.
  • Fave New Sticom so far !!!

I'm a Buffy fan so was eager to watch both How I Mwt YOur MOther & Kitchen Confidential to see wcich i liked better & as of now i say Kiitchen, The characteres funnier & more likable to me & i founf myself laughing more & looking forward to the next episode. I can see myself adding Kitcehn to my fave show list & it becoming one of my regualrs !!!!
  • St. Lawrence the Deacon is the patron saint of cooks and comedians...so why can't a kitchen-based sitcom catch a break?

This series, based on Chef Anthony Bourdain's first book of memoirs (of the same name), this is probably the most accurate fictional representation of a professional kitchen that I've ever seen. In my 10 years thusfar cooking professionally, I've seen similar instances of hazing, chefs trying to sleep with waitresses, chefs trying to sleep with each other (heheh...been there...unsuccessfully), absentee owners (although Pino was one of the more informed ones), grueling injuries (again, been there), and pain-in-the-ass customers.

I suppose that's why I thought this series was so great...on the other hand, I can also understand why it was cancelled. The show is just a bit too esoteric for the general public. Also, as a chef, I think there are really certain inside aspects of the business that I'd rather the customer not know about.

However, a great show nonetheless. The characters in the show, while not necessarily based on specific real people, are definitely archetypes that usually pop up in professional kitchens.
  • Jack Bourdain has had his share of bad luck but all that is about to change when the boss of Nolita restaurant requires his services. He gathers back his old crew from past restaurants and begins to start his kitchen again.

Bloody hell, that show was something special if you ask me. I mean, not that kind of show with a laugh track which magically has to go off at the slightest, lamest joke. No, Kitchen Confidential didn't need a laugh track, the dialogue itself was that extra something that people needed, the actors were hilarious in their respective roles and the quirky situations that they got involved in was throughly entertaining. Luckily, Network Seven in Australia aired all the episodes and now the lost episodes are floating somewhere in the Internet. I guess people these days don't want an intelligent comedy. People who were priveliged to watch this should cherish this moment, as there won't be something this good for a very long time.
  • Kitchen Confidential, cancelled after 13 episodes. Now thats TV Tragedy! This great show needs to find an audience and make a come back.

I understand why people may have been reluctant to try this show out. Restaurant kitchens are not fun places at all, i\\\'ve worked in some in my time. Hence I wasn\\\'t too bothered when I heard about this Kitchen comedy but I was surprised by this show. Pleasently.

The characters were great, especially Nicholas Brendan (aka Xander Harris from Buffy) and John Cho (aka MILF dude from American Pie or Harold from Harold and Kumar) who have an amazing on screen chemistry and really made me and my friends laugh a lot. These two NEED to wrok together more because they are gold. I admit, in my eyes this show is not as funny as Scrubs, but it is damn close and that means its a winner (In my eyes).

This is a funny funny show thats now been canned after only a few episodes. What is the world coming to? Can nothing be a slow burner? Can word of mouth not spread before money grabbing executives replace it with, get this, Skating with Celebrities.. Skating With Celebrities??? Reality TV adds another casualty to its slaughter of modern culture and human dignity. To think a promising comedy show with unbelievably talented actors got dropped for \\\"skating with celebrities\\\" insults me to my core and makes me think how sad it is that the masses would rather watch second rate celebs in a formulaic reality tv show than a work of comedy art. Come on world, we have a better culture to us than that. Bring Kitchen Confidential back.
  • funny

bring it bring it back ths was one of the best comdys from fox since american dad why do they cancle shows like this but keep crap on like stacked is mystery to me itwas fun funny and orinagal this made me laugh so much i realy hope fox bring it back!!!!
  • Criminally Underappreciated

This show was, to me, a breath of fresh air amidst the heaviness of all the forensics, alien and paranormally oriented shows with which we are being bombarded this season.

Kitchen Confidential had a good little ensemble cast that seemed to work well together and who seemed well chosen for their roles. The directing was quick and crisp; the stories were entertaining and well written. Then after only three episodes it goes on an ill-planned hiatus until December because of the World Series, which ended in early November. KC then died an untimely death because people hadn't had time to find it.

There was nothing wrong with this show, which never failed to make me laugh. Its only problem was very poor handling on the part of Fox.

I'm very much hoping that a DVD of the whole season comes out soon so that I can see the rest of it.
  • This show is hilarious. It has a humor similar to that of Sex and the City and other shows aimed at the same target demographic.

This show is hilarious. It has a humor similar to that of Sex and the City and other shows aimed at the same target demographic. The cast is great. I absolutely love the Head Chef from Jack & Bobby and the Head Waitress (who I recognize, but can't quite place). This show deserves kudos!
  • a master chef finds himself in jail after experimenting with two many drugs, women, and messing with the boss. after his release, hes stuck in a theme restaurant until he gets the second chance of a lifetime to be the head chef at a new upscale New York r

im a cook- and i love this show- its surpirsingly accurate and well written, i definetly hope it makes it. this is a show that could certainly have lots of material for a few years, and if they get a good enough fan base, it will catch on for sure.
  • Welcome to the world of your professional kitchens. Anthony Bourdain is a chef and writer who tells of his experiences in the culinary world. If you haven’t read Kitchen Confidential, I hope this series will peak your interest.

Welcome to one side of the culinary world, told from the world of a chef and cook. Welcome to Fox Networks, where no series is sacred and just because you recorded a show doesn’t mean it has a chance at airing. Bitterness aside from Fox’s treatment towards this series, this show rocks.

Have you watched A Cooks Tour? No Reservations? Stuck to Emeril, Rachel Ray, and Bobby Flay? Then you don’t know cooking. Anthony Bourdain lives food and loves to share his experiences. This show focuses on his book Kitchen Confidential and the exploits of running a kitchen. If you think the cooks behind the kitchen doors are working happily preparing your food, think again. It’s often a dog-eat-dog world and the customer is often wrong… but that’s why the cooks are in the kitchen and there’s the wait staff.

It’s sad the ratings didn’t go higher but I’m bitterly happy it seems the episodes are airing in Australia. I can’t wait to watch the rest of this series and hope it makes it to DVD to survive the fate of so many Fox axes.
  • This show is amazing!

It needs a second chance, if it was given another season on a reasonable day and time and it'll be a smash hit... It's hilarious! It was very ahead of it's time and FOX dropped it before it really took off. If they gave it another chance it would take off. If you haven't seen it, find a way too, I don't know if it's on DVD but it's worth a buy, not a rent, a buy, it's that good. This show is very original and unlike any other show on television and it's just as intelligent as it is dim-witted comedy. It can appeal to ALL!
< 1 2