Kitchen Confidential

FOX (ended 2005)

Kitchen Confidential Fan Reviews (56)

• The show tries too hard...

The show tries too hard to be funny and edgy, but I don't think it's working so far. Bradley Cooper is okay in his role, although the writing isn't exactly spectacular, he manages to create a somewhat interesting character. The other actors are left with nothing much to do, so at this point, it's kinda hard to judge them. I guess that my expectations from Darren Star were a bit too high, but considering that Miss Match didn't really work for me I should've suspected. His best work is still Sex and the City and the short-lived Grosse Pointe, which also starred Bonnie Somerville, was another great show. I'll probably watch the next couple of episodes to see what will happen, but I don't think this show will last long, especially considering the ratings for the premiere, but I have to say that I was glad the show doesn't have a laugh track, which is always a plus.
  • The show isnt\' as funny as i thought it was going to be, but i\'ll give it a chance.

I dont like that fact that John Choe (milf man,harold and kumar goes to white castle) isn\'t on the credits. Hollywood dising another asian actor. when will we get our chance? =(

If you guys didnt notice, during episode 2 when they were in the fridge the fan coolers werent\' runnin.
  • I didn't say bring it back because i know nobody is listening at least i can say watch 13 episode cuz thats all we got and you will enjoy every one of them..

7.1
    This is was good show absolutely canceled very early. He was got good characters and also charismatic lead actor. But like all tv tragedy this show is sacrifice first ratings and cancelled so much early. If they give some chance to this show it would be a classic when the all things settled. I didn't say bring it back because i know nobody is listening at least i can say to you watch all of 13 episode cuz thats all we got and you will enjoy every one of them. This a good show about flavour, sex and new beginnings.
  • Very funny show, but still is missing something

7.2
    This is a very funny series that if you watch from begginnning to end are sure to laugh. But it's missing one major ingredient. Time.

I think that all the scenes are usually good. They have good actors, funny writers, and a good idea. But where it really lacks is time. If it was an hour long I think they could really add to the comedy of the show. It just seems like everything is so fast paced I have to almost pause it to laugh so that I don't miss anything.
  • Bring it back with a better script...GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!

Even though I didn't give a great score on this one but personally, I like it... I love every story about food, kitchen, and chef... I don't know is there any other show about kitchen but this show pretty good... The stress in the kitchen is the opposite of what i saw on Hell's Kitchen. They all crazy chefs, love pranks, and women. It's hard to imagine that our chef is making all that mess in the kitchen... very disturbing, have sex in the stock room, but after all, this is a show... grey's anatomy and scrubs sure did it... doctors have sex in almost every cosed room... NO great laugh come from this show but i like the idea... so bring it back... and give a good script!
  • This show could be good:) The premise is actually kinda interesting so that could be good.

I can't figure out if this show is going to be good or not. I watched it the other night, just because I love Bradley Cooper. It was sort of funny I guess. It's had to tell with just one episode under their belt. I would say they have a pretty good cast though. That will probably keep me intriqued for at least a little while. I don't usually watch a lot of comedies so this could be a interesting addition to my weekly lineup.
  • Fun characters and great premise, might have been a great show given the chance.

Tonight i heard the news that 'Kitchen Confidential', alongside the greatly mourned 'Arrested Development', are cancelled. And it's a shame. 'KC' was a show that had great promise. It had a great, good looking talented cast (including personal fave and 'Buffy' alumni Nicholas Brendon) a hip, cool setting (a pirate crew of chefs and waiters at a posh New York resteraunt) and is based on the writings of Tony Bourdain, the darn coolest chef and TV host you'll ever see. The writing was great, and though the episodes weren't knee-slapping hilarious, the dialogue was sharp and quick paced. It was obvious the show was going places story wise, but now we'll never see how they would have panned out. A very underappreciated show.
  • I fresh take on life in the kitchen with biting humor at the expense of one's intent.

I was skeptical of this show being anything more than a rip off of the classic Food Network show: Iron Chef and the disgusting American version Iron Chef America. The cast is fresh with good talent. My only concern with the first episode was when the over-the-top heterosexual scene when the head chef try’s to be seductive as he interacts with the four drunken women and then later try’s to push off the sexual advances of those women later on is a total straight man fantasy! This type of repellent, degenerative genre needs to be totally restricted from future shows otherwise it will die on the spot.
  • Good new conceot for a sitcom, but needed a better pilot episode.

I liked the whole \"chef\" thing. The concept of troubles in a restaurant, the fights, and arguments and also funny lines. I liked the cast as well. Nicholas Brandon, Bonnie Sommerville and Brandon Cooper are my faves in this show.
    But I\'m worried cause the ratings were low.
    The first episode was good, but not good enough for a pilot. I don\'t know.. I felt like something is missing.
    But it does seems good and it\'s a good family sitcom and it might save the genre that is already much explored.
    A fresh idea, good cats. Just need better scripts and better lines.
  • A new and improved BBC's Chef with an edge.

Always a fan of cooking shows like the Iron Chef, My Restaurant Rules and Hell's Kitchen, finally there is one that is scripted. What is so enjoyable about Kitchen Confidential is it denotes all the issues in a light and funny kind of way. It also exposes some of the realities that chefs have to face.

The show is fast paced without giving the feeling of rush which is excellent for today's short attention span. If all episodes are as good as the pilot, this will become one of my favourite shows. The show makes me wanna go out there and start cooking!!!
  • It made me snarf!

This show was so funny. It really captured life in an upscale hash house. I had met each of the characters types when I worked in a fine dinning restaurant in my teenage years. People would probably never eat out if they knew what really goes on in the "back of the house." It was good to be reminded of the zaniness of working in the food business.
  • Could have been better but was decent for what it was.

Started somewhere and hits some high points but not every episode was a home run. "French Fight" remains my favorite episode and Becky was my favorite reoccurring character. The idea of Jack getting laid a lot was nice for a while but it being his only storyline for the entire series (other than cooking which almost everyone on the show does, so it doesn't count) got old, very quick. Great guest stars were a big help but it doesn't matter how famous or popular they were, they only stayed around for an episode. On occasion the moments during the closing credits were the funniest thing to happen in that episode. In conclusion, although I don't think FOX should have cancelled it, I do think that the filler episodes should have definitely gone unaired.
  • Jack Bourdain has had his share of bad luck but all that is about to change when the boss of Nolita restaurant requires his services. He gathers back his old crew from past restaurants and begins to start his kitchen again.

Bloody hell, that show was something special if you ask me. I mean, not that kind of show with a laugh track which magically has to go off at the slightest, lamest joke. No, Kitchen Confidential didn't need a laugh track, the dialogue itself was that extra something that people needed, the actors were hilarious in their respective roles and the quirky situations that they got involved in was throughly entertaining. Luckily, Network Seven in Australia aired all the episodes and now the lost episodes are floating somewhere in the Internet. I guess people these days don't want an intelligent comedy. People who were priveliged to watch this should cherish this moment, as there won't be something this good for a very long time.
  • funny

bring it bring it back ths was one of the best comdys from fox since american dad why do they cancle shows like this but keep crap on like stacked is mystery to me itwas fun funny and orinagal this made me laugh so much i realy hope fox bring it back!!!!
  • When I heard they were making Anthony Bourdain's book into a TV show, I cheered, then I realized it was on network TV...

I really want this show to do well. I watched the pilot, and I loved it. I think the cast is darn near perfect, and the idea is terrific. Anthony Bourdain's book is brilliant, it offers a look inside of the kitchen, it gives you the insight you don't get just by ordering food.
    The sad thing is, Bourdain swears like a sailor, drinks excessively and has an ongoing love-affair with cigarettes that nearly rivals my own. These are personality quirks that while charming and wonderful on basic cable and even HBO and such, it just won't fly on FOX.
    I think Kitchen Confidential would be better suited on FX. FX took a lot of risks this year with Starved and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 2 darkly comedic shows. Kitchen Confidential has the potential to be like them, only popular. I fear that FOX is going to undermine what made Bourdain's memoir so perfect and funny.
    They didn't screw up in the pilot. The Fish speech was exceptionally Bourdain-like. I hope to see this continue. I really will hate FOX if they cancel this before it gets a chance to spread it's wings. Hopefully they will give it the Arrested Development chance that it deserves.
    I would receommend this show to anyone who enjoys a good comedy. It doesn't hurt that Bradley Cooper is nice to look at and has a supporting cast of easily recognizable faces (James/Jaimie King and Nicholas Brendon (Xander on Buffy) being just 2 of them).
    I wish this show the best of luck. It's worth tuning in to when Monday Night Football goes to commercial break, or when you're team has started to suck so badly you need something to cheer you up! Something's cooking on FOX and I hope they give it more of a chance than Head Cases.
  • This show sees recovering addict/chef Jack Bourdain's attempt to make a come-back with a new restaurant and hand-picked (and appropriately misfit) kitchen staff.

It's often hard to get a read on new programs, especially comedies. Some of the best shows of all time didn't start out that way (first episode of Seinfeld, anyone?). And while it's not clear where this show will end up, its premiere is certainly promising. The kitchen may be a relatively new locale for a sitcom (do we still call single-camera, half-hour, humorous shows sitcoms?), but otherwise, the premise isn't all that original. Sure, it's more likely to be used in movies (has-been assembles rag-tag group of guys whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts), but it's nothing new. Still, it's a fun premise and very well done.

The cast is good, led by Bradley Cooper, who almost looks the part and has the somewhat smarmy charm that the role of Jack Bourdain needs. He's surrounded by a group of people, some of whom I’m very glad to see involved in a good project (namely John Francis Daly of why-did-they-cancel-this Freaks of Geeks and Nicholas Brendon, who showed us all he can brilliantly deliver non-laugh-track comedy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

While this show is certain about Bourdain's success (or otherwise) and that of the restaurant, this is also a story of redemption. It's unclear if Bourdain's story will be heroic or if he will play the anti-hero. Either way works for me, as this first episode has piqued my interest and I will definitely be tuning in for future ones.
  • No sense writing much now. But they didn't give this show a chance. Great characters, setting, eye candy both m and f, flair, writing... The setup was a little bit intricate, which meant it needed a chance and some good promotion. It was actually

No sense writing a lot now. But they didn't give this show a chance. Great characters, setting, eye candy both m and f, flair, writing...
    The setup was a little bit intricate, which meant it needed a chance and some good promotion. It was actually funny, which set it apart.
    Fox deserves credit for buying it, but i really think they could have sold it better.
  • French Fight. Very fast paced and clever

The scary baker was a nice touch.

You know that the line between genius and insanity is very close!!

Thought that Mimi was finally shown to be a little less stiff and more human.

Hysterical when she came in with her hair all tousled.

Too bad Fox doesn't get it.

This show is fresh and a hoot to watch.

We will miss it!!!
  • even though Fox has declined to pickup the rest of the season, all is not lost - if Family Guy, a show ahead of its time, can come back due to popular demand, so can Kitchen Confidential!

Everybody claims Kitchen Confidential is "underappreciated" and is an "absolutely fabulous" show. It is. The problem is that the average joe isn't hooked onto a kitchen-based show to start off with. That's why Iron Chef has to be shown on the Food Network and not any of the major networks. But obviously those that watch this show have developed into a cult-like following, so keep getting your friends to watch it, and maybe down the road it'll come back!
  • A new type of comedy that may save the sitcom genre.

For some time now, sitcoms have for me been a source of pain only outdone by the vulgarity of most reality shows. I would not even consider wasting tape or DVR space on any current sitcoms.

Kitchen Confidential is totally different. It\'s not a typical office or bar workplace comedy - it\'s a high class restaurant. It is - *gasp* - well-acted and - *double gasp* - really funny, not dependent on jokes or gags obviously thrown in for laughs, but on situations that are believable, amusing and truly come out of the plot seamlessly. The subject matter is a bit risque in places, but in a refreshing way.

It was great to see Nicholas Brendon and Bradley Cooper on-screen again, and I\'m looking forward to becoming familiar with the rest of the cast. I will actually tape this show every week, because this is one sitcom that deserves to be watched several times.

• Perfect match for "Arrested Development" on Monday nights.

I just watched the first episode and I thought it was REALLY good. Not nearly as funny as I had hoped it would be, but it was only the pilot. Great casting, great acting, great writing, great everything so far. Pairing this with "Arrested Development" was a good move on FOX's part. I hope the ratings are there for both of these shows. I'll definitely keep watching.
  • great cast, good plot, real winner.

a truly enjoyable program with some of my favorite actors from the big and small screens. the cast has a chemistry that radiates from the picture tube and could very well propell this show into greatness like MASH or Cheers. it works, and amazingly well at that.

my mother is a chef and at various points in my life i have worked as wait staff. the situations in this show are hillarious because they cut close to home. so funny its scary funny.

this show has the potential to be in the top five of the season.
  • One of the best Comedy shows ever, SO PLZZZ BRING IT BACK!!!!

Hilarious, Crazy, Fun, and HOT. one of the best comedy shows i ever saw.
    its very hilarious, you can't stop laughing, they all crazy. and it include comedy, chicks, sex, and food, i can't believe they can cancel such a show lol :D
    and that jack haha i cant believe they can cancel that character.
    and on top of all that, they only made 13 episodes !!! only 13 episodes .. Damn i wish i have more :(
    but as i said and a lot agree with me I'm sure. its one of the best comedy shows, and there is no reason to cancel it!! so i just wish that if its possible to continue this shows, but its canceled, so ... it!!
  • A comedy

I didn\'t realize how awesome this show was until it was too late. Fox cancelled it after airing only 4 episodes when there were already 13 episodes made and ready to go!!! I don\'t understand why they couldn\'t just air the remaining 9 episodes... it\'s not like they had something else better lined up to take it\'s place!!! First Firefly, now this. They\'re really good at cancelling really good shows that shouldn\'t be cancelled! Brad is awesome and so is the rest of the cast (especially Nicholas, John Cho, Owain & John Daly) Please please please bring it back!!!
  • Please, please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please bring it back!!!!!!!!!!
  • Take two stars of two very successful shows and mix till smooth and heat slowly, a recipe for success? Not yet, but there's definitely potential.

It seems this season, a lot of shows are released that feature stars from former shows. This necessarily isn't a bad thing, it just generates a sort of expectation that nine out of ten times never will be fulfilled. Usually, the succes of the former shows is never repeated and people are let down.

So, what do have here? Bradley Cooper, known as Will from "Alias", the journalist reporter who knew too much and eventually had to go into witness protection, thus marking his end in "Alias". To me, he was never the comedical type, but that doesn't mean he can't do it. And then we have Nicholas Brendon, who actually played the comical side-kick Xander in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". And he was funny and integral to the humorous part of Buffy.

So, does that make KC funny? Don't know yet... it had me laughing a few times, but it tries to be a dark humour kind of show, like "Dead Like Me", and it's not hitting that spot quite yet. Probably, this show has to evolve a bit, but it should not rely on situations like a chopped off finger to create problematic situations and rely more on the cast, which I think is a great one.

• The Kitchen needs a little work but much better than some of the new sitcoms i have seen

I think i would have liked this show more if it had a different time slot. I just find arrested develpment on a different level than this show. Anyway ignoring the fact that the other show exists(not like anyone watches it lol) this show had some great moments. The scene with the finger had me rolling. The cast is an eclectic mix of people that seem like potential for some great humor. The dumb blonde waitress was a personal favorite. I think the show has some potential and i think fox has a great monday night of tv coupled with arrested development and prison break.
  • Kitchen Confidential, new, fresh, and edgy.

This show looks like it\\\'s going to be pretty good. It\\\'s got a different and very original plot line that interests me quite a bit. I\\\'m also impressed with the people they got to play the main characters. I\\\'m glad that Nicholas Brendon from Buffy is playing a character in this show. Looks like a fun show overall! :)
  • Bradley Cooper and the rest of the cast were fabulous in Kitchen Confidential. If only the show lasted longer it could of been the next great sitcom.

Kitchen Confidential came out of nowhere when it premiered and it had little to no advertisements and the show probably was mistaken by many as a cooking show. This however was not the case, Kitchen Confidential was a sitcom about chefs.

The show was probably one of the most risky and sexually urinated on FOX, and it was absolutely hilarious. Bradley Cooper was sensational, along with a cast of wonderful characters. I really wish the show could have lasted longer, and chances are we will never see the show again. I only hope that we can at least get the 6 episodes on DVD someday. Bring it back fox please!

• St. Lawrence the Deacon is the patron saint of cooks and comedians...so why can't a kitchen-based sitcom catch a break?

This series, based on Chef Anthony Bourdain's first book of memoirs (of the same name), this is probably the most accurate fictional representation of a professional kitchen that I've ever seen. In my 10 years thusfar cooking professionally, I've seen similar instances of hazing, chefs trying to sleep with waitresses, chefs trying to sleep with each other (heheh...been there...unsuccessfully), absentee owners (although Pino was one of the more informed ones), grueling injuries (again, been there), and pain-in-the-ass customers.

I suppose that's why I thought this series was so great...on the other hand, I can also understand why it was cancelled. The show is just a bit too esoteric for the general public. Also, as a chef, I think there are really certain inside aspects of the business that I'd rather the customer not know about.

However, a great show nonetheless. The characters in the show, while not necessarily based on specific real people, are definitely archetypes that usually pop up in professional kitchens.
< 1 2