Kitchen Confidential

FOX (ended 2005)

Kitchen Confidential Fan Reviews (56)

• St. Lawrence the Deacon is the patron saint of cooks and comedians...so why can't a kitchen-based sitcom catch a break?

This series, based on Chef Anthony Bourdain's first book of memoirs (of the same name), this is probably the most accurate fictional representation of a professional kitchen that I've ever seen. In my 10 years thusfar cooking professionally, I've seen similar instances of hazing, chefs trying to sleep with waitresses, chefs trying to sleep with each other (heheh...been there...unsuccessfully), absentee owners (although Pino was one of the more informed ones), grueling injuries (again, been there), and pain-in-the-ass customers.

I suppose that's why I thought this series was so great...on the other hand, I can also understand why it was cancelled. The show is just a bit too esoteric for the general public. Also, as a chef, I think there are really certain inside aspects of the business that I'd rather the customer not know about.

However, a great show nonetheless. The characters in the show, while not necessarily based on specific real people, are definitely archetypes that usually pop up in professional kitchens.