Kitchen Nightmares

FOX

neomichel

Kitchen Nightmares Fan Reviews (53)

• Americanization ruins another great show

I recently binge watched my way through the entire UK version of this show and loved every minute of it. Gordon Ramsay was a delight to watch working with the chefs on the show whether he was tearing them down or building them up.

I was interested to see how the show fared in being transformed for an American audience. I was very disappointed. It's lost all of the charm it had in favour of dramatic cuts, creative editing and an unnecessarily loud soundtrack. More swearing and yelling, less discussions about food. More incompetence with little to no payoff or turnaround on the restauranteurs parts and worst of all, the narration. I don't know if I'll make it through the rest of season one of the US version. I hope he makes more in the UK style some day.
  • Love his attitude and the show!

Chef Ramsay reminds me of myself when I go to restaurants. It seems I have trouble controlling my tongue when I taste something bad. A couple of weeks ago, I went to a place that claims to have fresh fish and on the sign it said "Fresh-Frozen" and I said to the guy behind the counter "Is it fresh or is it frozen?" he laughed and said it's "Freshly Frozen" I'm like you have got to be kidding me. I got quite angry and said "F*** there's nothing fresh about frozen fish". Too many people say that he's foul mouthed and doesn't control his temper but, people need a reality check when they are so delusional to believe that their restaurant is great and their food is great. They fail to realize that no matter what they think, their restaurant wouldn't be failing if, they took care of it.
  • Kitchen Nightmare

I have been a chef for twenty years and I can't understand how dirty some of these restaurants are. Where is the Health Department in some of those places ?
  • When is it starting

Any idea when he new season will start.
  • Kitchen nightmares, US series

US season is off my watch list. Typical of US excess, of everything.
  • UK version was way better than horrible US reality TV

The original UK version of Kitchen Nightmares felt more like Gordon was helping turn restaurants around rather than some scripted, edited for better ratings crap. I don't know why he lets a great show like that be transformed into American reality crap. The absolute worst part is the voice over narrator and the out of context editing that comes at every commercial break and throughout the show. The UK version had Gordon doing his own commentary (very little at that) as does most of his other UK shows. Any time redo a show for American audiences the networks assume it has to be some sort of Jerry Springer scripted reality because that's what we want. IT IS NOT!!! I can't believe Gordon Ramsey has let them do this to a good show.
  • After 3 seasons, I cant stand it anymore

Heres the basic formula:

Day 1: food sucks -> kitchen in disarray -> owner(s) get angry

Day 2: secret meeting -> frustrations aired -> crying everywhere

Day 3: free stuff given + new menu -> dinner starts well -> momentary problem -> dinner ends on good note -> Ramsay is a hero

I noticed this after the first 5 episodes i watched and it was tolerable at first. However, after so long watching the same thing over and over it has become so detestable to me. It is sad, because the BBC version of the show is so good. In the BBC version, almost all the restaurants have different problems and you can really see Gordon Ramsay pull off some great and inventive ideas to pull a restaurant through. You can see things actually changing and feel like the restaurateurs really had to work hard to succeed at the end.

In the US version, it is entirely ludicrous to believe that all these restaurants are left to their devices after Gordon fixes one problem (almost always being that the owners are in denial/stubborn). Then he gives them a complete remodel of the dining area overnight and after one dinner, leaves them. The show is so formulaic and edited that it is no longer about showing how to run a successful business but rather a cheap and lame attempt at trying to pull at your heartstrings. So typical of american produced reality tv shows nowadays.

Bottom line, go check out the BBC version. It is miles better than this show.
  • This is actually Season 6, not 5

Season 6 officially starts on 10/26, 2012, not season 5.

Refer to IMDB and all other episode listings.
  • When Gordon speaks, you BETTER listen!

Gordon Ramsay has both his fans & detractors, but 1 thing for certain, he's the star of his own Reality TV series in which he does what he can to bring poorly performing restaurants up to higher standards.

Kitchen Nightmares is the FOX Network's adaptation of BBC's Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. The difference between the US & UK versions of this show is that while the British version emphasizes the epicurean aspects, the American version has all the off-the-cuff emotions that adds drama to whatever situation Ramsay faces.

Regardless of what the critics think of his American show, i'd say that this is far above & beyond the mindless pap that most Reality TV shows are.

I'd be honored to have Gordon Ramsay be my mentor in the art of cooking rather than a haughty jellyfish like Jamie Oliver!
  • Loved the episode with the egg-head twins who ran the Capri restaurant

I think Jeff and Jim are better off running a comedy show than a restaurant, because they are some of the dumbest owners I've seen on the show and they crack me up with the way they acted like such sissy little cry babies. It was about time they got off their lazy butts and had the place cleaned and had gotten fresh food, instead of old spoiled food that was way outdated. Chef Ramsey did a REALLY amazing job putting them in their places and getting them and I couldn't help but applaud the chef that was laughing at the owners for the emotional smackdown they got from Chef Ramsey. He and the old lady had to have been embarrassed to work with the twins and after what they've had to put up with with the customers getting angry over how the food tasted, it was time the blame was pointed in the right direction. Anyone can tell even before walking into their restaurant that it was such a slum-fest with mediocre service
  • Gordon likes screaming. Screaming likes Gordon.

It is no shock for a dedicated supervisor to demand improvements from his workers. It's quite another story for him to almost kill them in the process.

If Gordon Ramsay hadn't considered a career as a chef, drill sergeant would have been another possibility. He can be heard several hundred miles away. Don't ever make him mad, because his voice can make things explode. I watch him from the comfort of my home, and he still makes me want to run and hide.

Watch this show and you may laugh, you will cringe, but you will never quite act the same way in a restaurant again.
  • Before you step into the next Mom and Pop Italian Restaurant….

Every kitchen has its secrets. Some are well kept and what keep them alive and thriving, and they're others with secrets so horrible that you almost don't want to know about them! The latter is what Kitchen Nightmares is about. World-renowned Chef Ramsey searches America in search for restaurants that are on the bottom of the culinary food chain (and clearly doesn't have to look far to find them). He exposes these sad excuses for restaurants for what they are: pathetic food, usually worse kitchen conditions (complete with rotting food, unclean facilities, you name it. Some make you wonder how they stay open, much less how people don't get sick!), and staffs that just don't care anymore. You just need to watch one episode of this show to realize that Ramsey's passion is in the kitchen: he wants everything he puts out to be the best, and he wants the same thing of those from those he meets (it's sometimes hard to see that when he's cussing them out like a drunkard, but its there). One thing I find ironic about this show is that just about every time Ramsey goes to an Italian Restaurant the story is pretty much the same: a diner with mediocre food run by an arrogant, stubborn, full-blooded Italian guy who is obstinate on running things his way (and even with that, those episodes are still entertaining). Ramsey is trying to save the world of small business cooking, one restaurant at a time, and I will say he's doing a good job.
  • Well, after 3 seasons it's pretty obvious the production team on this one neither has talent nor integrity, or they wouldn't embarrass themselves so. It's pure and utter sh*te.

Although the latest episode (Sushi Ko) was the most interesting this season, I am done with the US version of Kitchen Nightmares now. Won't be watching anymore. I'm not even sure why I haven't given up sooner. Perhaps because I really loved the UK version (it is truly excellent!), and couldn't stop hoping to get the original format back. Well, after 3 seasons it's pretty obvious the production team on this one neither has talent nor integrity, or they wouldn't embarrass themselves so. It's pure and utter sh*te. I used to adore Gordon Ramsay, now I must say that he has no business critizising anyone about any type of standards when he has turned his back on his own. Shame on him.
  • How pathetic has this show become!!!!! Spoilt brats ..why doesnt he help people who really need it!!!

How pathetic has this show become!!!!! Spoilt brats ..why doesn't he help people who really need it and deserve it!!!

After the series 3 episode 8 and 9 episodes I wont be watching this any more!!!

I advise the same to anyone with any self respect to do the same

The show once had a great idea and I love Gordan and his confidence and the fact he is normally always right in his suggestions and observations. However it has become scripted and sharply inaccurately edited rubbish. The last series has been almost wholly made up of spoilt people who are so fake and pathetic. You feel if the restaurant they owned (normally with someone else's money)failed they would just start another business and run it just as badly.

It would be so much more enjoyable if he was helping someone who was pushing or really struggling to go up in the world of food rather than these spoilt fools. Even if he helped a guy who made sandwiches/Tacos from a van would impress me more!!

Please Gordan take control of your show I know you are not this pathetic..be a brave Scot and not a weak tw*t
  • Possibly one of the most painful things I've had to watch in along time.

I watch the British version of the show, and I can't take the American version. It's completely over edited, cuts every couple of seconds with ridiculous over the top music. The first 5 minutes that tells you exactly what's going to happen through out the entire episode, which makes the rest of the episode almost pointless watching because you know what's going to happen. The Preview of what's to come before the ad break, and then the recap of what happened before the ad break. The ridiculous over dramatisation of everything, especially the shots that zoom out from a building at high speed then slow down, every single time the restaurant is mentioned, just incase the viewers forgot what they're watching... The entire thing is completely belittling to the viewer, assuming that the viewer is an idiot. Having said that, the content is good, even if it has been glossed up to the point of absolute ludicrous proportions.

If nothing else though, watching both the British and US versions, is an excellent case study for the differences in British and US tastes. And it shows the power of editing can make two completely different shows from very similar content, one very enjoyable and easy to watch, the other a painful cringe worthy experience.

But, that's probably just my British tastes.
  • Highly entertaining cooking reality show! It's a hit you don't want to miss! Trust me.

Ramsey proves that he not only has the skills of a top chef but he has the business mentality to help restaurants that are on the edge of closing down. The combination of his talents helps proves that he has the ability to turn nothing into something out of the restaurants. The show is highly entertaning because it always seems like its going to be another impossible job for ramsey. Ramsey comes across chefs that can't simply cook, staff that are lazy and not motivated. There is alot of drama and conflict which makes this show a must watch.
  • Time to hit the road and fix some restaurants!

I love this show as much as Hell's kitchen as Gordon Ramsay is a two-sided coin. On one hand he is short-tempered and rough, but on the other hand he has a warm heart. Here he tries to work his kitchen magic in struggling restaurants. My favorites so far were the Irish episode and the Seascape as Ramsay toughens up Peter in the boxing gym and gets rid of his lazy chefs. What would happen if we had a sweet voiced chef do the repairing? BORING! Ramsay's methods can keep one at the edge of his/her seats and make it a lot more exciting.
  • In short, watch the BBC Version. This version has been edited to all hell into the traditional stupid cookie cutter reality TV show in the US.

1.5
    This show is completely ruined in its transition to the US. You're better off watching the BBC version. This is really disappointing to me because I was really excited to see some US resturants overhauled in the traditional kitchen nightmares style. However they crapped the show into the ever growing trend of reformation reality TV shows (ie, queer eye) where they do the default formula crap of basically buying the people crap to make them happy. In addition, the way the show is edited is completely deceiving to fit their cookie cutter narrative formula. The chronological order of scenes is completely deceptive.

In addition the 4:00 of preview and repeating preview scenes before ever commercial break are completely unnecessary and simply there to kill time. The music in the background is over dramatic and useless and the repeated cuts of the restaurant front makes it feel like the lame dating reality tv shows. In the BBC version you can see Gordon foster proper support and mentoring to help the restaurants. In every ep of The Kitchen nightmares you have the same formula of him making the menu for them and then his "design team" buying them tons of crap.

Of course I'm not surprised Gordon signed off on this show since it gives him more money so he couldn't care less (Just look at the stuff he does on boiling point). However the show is pure BS.
  • The British version is much better

7.3
    I am hooked on all things Gordon Ramsey. He has two or three shows on BBC America that I watch all the time, so I was very excited to see that Kitchen Nightmares was coming to America. However, though it is still Gordon Ramsey, it is much milder than the British version. Gordon is not nearly as sharp or honest as he is on the British version, which is one of the greatest things about the show. Also, it is too Americanized. It is reality tv that feels like reality tv. There is nothing reality about it. Often the episodes feel contrived and over hyped. There is none of that on the British version. It the producers would back off and let the show and the restaurants speak for themselves, it would be a lot better. I also wish they would devote less time to the make over of the restaurant itself and more time to the overhauling of the staff and business practices. If you have never seen the British version you can't truly appreciate what this show can be. I suggest you watch this on BBC America instead of FOX.
  • I feel that Cheif Ramsey should kick everyone off the and bring back the losers from the past tv series of his shows. I don't blame him for being so mad at them.

I like this show but this season is bad....... I don't see how Cheif Ramsey can sleep at night with this group. I would never trust any of them to be the cook and Cheif for my resturant. I think if was a bad idea for these cooks to be on the air, they should of been kicked off the first time around and bring back the losers of the past shows.
    My rate is a 9.2 because I like the show but this season is BAD
  • i love this man ramsay has to be the best man on tv. kitchen nightmars is beter then kitchen nightmars is about faling food spots that the only way to restor thear name is to get mr. ramsay in thear to get people together. watch this show.

i have seen all of the kitchen nightmars and i have seen all of the uk hit ramsays kitchen nightmars and let me tell you if you havent heard of kitchen nightmars whar the hell have you ben.
    this has to be the best show on tv the veary best i am so happy that season 2 is comming this fall and then i hear that a 3 season is pland for 2009 plus the start of the 5 season of hells kitchen in january 2009 plus ramsays kitchen nightmars will start the new season on bbc sum time soon.

watch this show.
  • The American version of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares! Gordon visits struggling US restaurants on the verge of closing and advises the owners and chefs to what he feels are the reasons for their failings in an attempt to bring success!

I am a huge fan of the British version, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and I was not disappointed when I watched my first two episodes of the American versions. I am surprised at the negative reviews I've read on the US version. Of course people should expect to see a difference in the US version versus the BBC channel. Look at the other programs on the BBC channel and it is obvious there are big differences in what the viewers are watching. My friends and I watch the programs and call each other during the commercials to discuss what's happening. We agree that the show is a success! Keep an open mind and enjoy!
  • Gordon Ramsay is good. He has so many TV shows it's almost confusing. But he is very good. I love watching him.

I love Gordon Ramsay. He's funny, he's brilliant, he's a great chef and he's smart. Otherwise he wouldn't be appreciated as much.

He has so many TV shows, it's almost confusing. What I like about his shows is that is most cases he manages (with screaming and cursing of course) to give people the slap in the face they need to get over themselves and start running things.

But I get the feeling in this series that they're trying really hard to find an emotional trigger in the episodes. In the first episode, it was the wife and the hot-headed husband who has all their savings on the restaurant. In the second episode it was a whole dysfunctional family. Looks like they're trying too hard.

I still love Gordon Ramsay's shows. He's brilliant.
  • This show is funny, suspenseful, and absolute drama that keeps you coming back over and over again.

Well, I guess Gordon Ramsay has done it again with the American drama. He took his British classic, Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, and brought it to America.
    I am seeing a lot of complainst about the drama. But I say, phooey! I think the drama is irritating, but it is also somewhat entertaining. It will keep you biting your nails but when the actual thing happens, it really isn't that big of a deal, which might show an actual message to it. I must say, I am a big fan of Ramsay, and this show is great. I watch it every Thursday night, and it always seems to be worth staying up late.
  • i like the show and i think everyone should watch it

if you like hell kitchen then of course you have to watch this show as well. you may like gordon yelling at people who want to cook but imagine you watching gordon yelling at people who THINK they know how to cook but when you eat it, taste all disgusting. it is good he is helping them but imagine he went to the winner of hell kitchen and see how they are doing and they were doing bad look at his face it will be messed up. you should watch this show and you will like it because you will see gordon ramsey again when hell kitchen season is over.
  • Kicking butt and taking names in the name of kitchen competence!

When I find myself relying on a service provided by someone billing him or herself as a "caring professional", competence is an issue with me. That's why I love this show so much. I like to cook myself, but I don't even kid myself that I have any business doing it for a living. Ramsay is turning into a personal hero of mine. If I pay good money for a high end meal at a restaurant, I want my money's worth and not have to worry about being poisoned in the process. Chef Ramsay isn't just entertaining, he's providing a genuine public service. Great show!
  • I still prefer the Brit version of KN that does not seem so scripted. For the American version this episode was fun.

I enjoyed hating Mike the host (25% of the tips my arse) his ego and delusions of being the boss made him a target. Billy the actual owner was easy to pity, he was whipped by his host and wife and seemed to have no fire or spirit. A wife who had the fire and spirit but not the ability to focus her anger properly.

A villain and a hero rescuing a beleaguered owner makes for fun tv. The restaurant was in desperate straits the narriage of the owners was in jeopardy and that in and by itself was in need of help. Gordon managed to focus on the problems and coral them.
  • Glad I'm not a chef.

This is a show that is for people that like to see others get yelled at or ridiculed. Gordon Ramsey is just like Simon Cowell, but more intense. I find Kitchen Nightmares to be a good show and it's really an entertaining one. I specifically like seeing all the new foods that is presented and it's interesting to watch the conflicts and makeovers of certain establishments. I really think that the show is educational to those who want to run a restaurant. It teaches people how to handle guests and how to act as a professional. I especially like how Gordon tells people like it is. He is very much experienced and has a great deal of knowledge when it comes to food. Overall, Kitchen Nightmares is one good show and could make anyone's mouth water. Thank you.
  • Ramsay tries to 'fix' NYC restaurants by attempting to pass on his knowledge and experience to those desperately in need of help.

I think it is a very informative show if you're running a restaurant or just any business. However, the biggest downside for me is there just is too much toleration of people who don't pull their weight or are just completely inept. Otherwise, I love to watch him go in and recommend changes and see how people react to him and his ideas. I do like the UK version a bit better - it doesn't have the flashy seizure-inducing camerawork and there's a bit more Ramsay to owner/staff interaction. However, the US version isn't 'horrible' in comparison, its the editing that seems to muddle it up.
  • Typical American melodrama

The British version of this show is far better by leaps and bounds. instead of taking the formula and adding it America, it has been turned into melodramatic rubbish.

The first thing noticed was the overlapping corny drama music, the type seen in other tedious shows such as survivor. One can surmise that a jumped up pretentious person involved in this show thought it would spice things up, it doesn't, it's ridicules, the show would have been better off without it, it's reality tv, the American version is trying to turn it into days of our lives.

Secondly, were as in the British version he would give constructive criticism to help these people in the right direction, here, there workplace's are given makeovers. a reward for being inadequate, an easy answer.

Thirdly, The voice over as with the music, is condescending and melodramatic. It explains the obvious as if you were far too stupid to think for yourself, completely unneeded.

This show is too busy trying to augment reality into a soap opera rather than be reality, Ramsey remains stellar, but it's clear less is better.
< 1 2