Kitchen Nightmares

Secret Garden

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 12, 2007 on FOX

7.9
  • One of the more ambiguous episodes as, despite the usual fireworks, it seems hard to get a grasp on the existing eatery.

6.6
    Ramsey takes on an establishment run by a French chef-owner.

A lot of ambiguity on this one, again I sometimes think that so much time is spent on editing in the obscenities and shots of spoiled food that it is really hard to tell what is REALLY going on in these places.

There seems to be pre-existing problems in this restuarant, at least in its profitability. It's a little harder to tell about the menu other than Ramsey had a bad experience with his steak, baby carrots, and finely-shredded spuds. We are only really shown three dishes from the old menu and a few new, simpler Ramsey-suggested specials. But again, I would really like to see him DISCUSS his changes with the existing chef rather than 20 minutes of him exchanging expletives with him. I always want to know more about the backgrounds and feelings of the existing chefs.

I really like the idea of the show in general, but rather than cartoon "owner/chef = bad, Ramsey = good" I hardly ever really know why these places are ultimately successes or failures. I like Ramsey in general and still wonder if his nasty disposition is mostly due to the editors wanting to promote attitude at the expense of constructive criticism.