Knight Rider

Fight Knight

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 04, 2009 on NBC

• Mike and K.I.T.T. investigate an alleged suicide of a former US Army drill instructor. Soon they find proof that it was murder. In order to find the culprits Mike has to fight in an underground fight club.

The Knight is back on track! Last weeks episode was great, but this one was even better:

Finally the writers (and even the actors) got it right. After a more or less bumpy transition during episodes 9-12 the show has become what it always was supposed to be: A show about one man, who can make a difference - for normal people. This pointless crap about saving the world amidst bikini girls and surfer boys was just ridiculous.

Well, i have to admit: A couple of days ago I watched some of the classic episodes and a lot of them really aren't fine examples of writing or acting at all. The differnce is that for a lot of people between the age of 20 and m-a-y-b-e fortysomething this show has a gained a certain cult status. In my opinion this status can basically traced back to the fact that most of us associate the adventures of the Hoff with their youth or even their childhood. But c'mon, SERIOUSLY: The classic Knight Rider has always been as trashy as The A-Team or other comparable shows of that time.

However, the audience's expectations of a watchable TV serial have changed. Transfering the initial Knight Rider concept to a modern TV show had been a tremendous challenge right from the beginning. Writers and producers seemed to believe that with higher standards they also needed bigger challenges and props for the show's heroes: Terrorists, almost ridiculously fancy headquarters, a transformer-like K.A.R.R. and a freakin' plane (?!) to carry K.I.T.T...

Too bad that these weren't even remotely the reasons why the people loved the classic show. Sometimes less is more:

NOW we are back to a manageable headqarter due to it's former gigantic measures now lying in shaded background. Like the fotography does it here the show now focuses on important aspects like believable acting instead of permanent overdoses of visual effects and shiny high tech stuff. The SciFi aspect of the show has been readjusted to it's actual purpose: Supporting a well-written plot:

This episode shows the same strenghs as the last week's: An exciting and down-to-earth storyline in which the teamwork between Mike and K.I.T.T. is just in the right balance.

Great writing, great action, great episode!