Kolchak: The Night Stalker

The Werewolf

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 01, 1974 on ABC

• The wolf boat soon will be making another run...

If not my favorite of the series, this episode is certainly among my favorites. I think part of it was the change of setting. Instead of gritty Chicago (which, BTW, I like more than the Chicago of "Early Edition," just as I prefer the gritty '70s NYC to the cleaned up NYC of today), most of the story took place within the tight confines of a cruise ship. For once, Carl didn't take on the monster as a matter of choice, but as a matter of survival. He was trapped here, and if the crew failed to stop the werewolf (which they would, since they didn't believe in silver bullets), he and the rest of the passengers would have been at the mercy of the creature. Alas, the rest of the characters were stock. The skeptical captain was no more than a stand-in for the skeptical detectives and police chiefs Carl always fenced with and the mercenary purser replaced a mercenary coroner. And true to form for the series, the werewolf costume was one of the worst I've ever seen. Still, a nice change of pace.