Krypto: the Superdog Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Discussion topic #2

3StarvingArtist

[1]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 10
    Alright, let's see if we can't get some more activity in here. Anyone have any Krypto episodes they don't like as much as others?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

passiton

[2]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 24
    The one that I didn't enjoy as much as the others had to be "A Bug's Strife".

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but where is Discussion Topic #1? Just wondering.

3StarvingArtist

[3]Jul 6, 2006

passiton wrote:

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but where is Discussion Topic #1? Just wondering.

Not at all. That would have been this thread (which in retrospect I prolly should've titled "discussion topic"): http://www.tv.com/krypto-the-superdog/show/27664/hero-material/topic/12830-257725/msgs.html

Also, I kinda agree with you about "A Bug's Strife". It's okay I guess, but not what I'd call a great episode either. Though one episode I liked even less was "Storybook Holiday". I watched the first few minutes and got bored and annoyed with the preachiness. It's one of the few Krypto episodes I didn't watch entirely.

Edited on 07/06/2006 12:39pm

catfan1

[4]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 17

I don't actively dislike them but I find my mind wandering during the ones focusing on Iggy, like "Up, Up and Away" and "Switching Sides." The one spotlighting Jimmy, "A Dog's Life," didn't really grab me either.

passiton

[5]Jul 6, 2006
    3StarvingArtist wrote:

passiton wrote:

Not at all. That would have been this thread (which in retrospect I prolly should've titled "discussion topic"): http://www.tv.com/krypto-the-superdog/show/27664/hero-material/topic/12830-257725/msgs.html

Also, I kinda agree with you about "A Bug's Strife". It's okay I guess, but not what I'd call a great episode either. Though one episode I liked even less was "Storybook Holiday". I watched the first few minutes and got bored and annoyed with the preachiness. It's one of the few Krypto episodes I didn't watch entirely.

Okay, thanks.

3StarvingArtist

[6]Jul 7, 2006
    catfan1 wrote:

I don't actively dislike them but I find my mind wandering during the ones focusing on Iggy, like "Up, Up and Away" and "Switching Sides." The one spotlighting Jimmy, "A Dog's Life," didn't really grab me either.

Heh, I felt the same way during the most recent Iggy ep where he cloned himself. And I don't think I even sat through "Bad Hair Day" entirely (I think part of this is because Iggy just doesn't interest me much). You know, I've never seen "A Dog's Life" before. o.o

I'd like to add "Bathound Meets The Dog Stars". The only redeeming thing about this episode was BullDog's tagging around with Bathound. Otherwise... bah. Unimaginative title, over-moralizing (again), and the Dog Stars acting like obnoxious highschoolers. I just thought it seemed OOC for them to be all, "This loser doesn't have powers! LOL!"

3StarvingArtist

[7]Jul 7, 2006
    Not a problem, Passiton.

catfan1

[8]Jul 7, 2006
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    catfan1 wrote:

Heh, I felt the same way during the most recent Iggy ep where he cloned himself. And I don't think I even sat through "Bad Hair Day" entirely (I think part of this is because Iggy just doesn't interest me much). You know, I've never seen "A Dog's Life" before. o.o

I'd like to add "Bathound Meets The Dog Stars". The only redeeming thing about this episode was BullDog's tagging around with Bathound. Otherwise... bah. Unimaginative title, over-moralizing (again), and the Dog Stars acting like obnoxious highschoolers. I just thought it seemed OOC for them to be all, "This loser doesn't have powers! LOL!"

I thought it seemed especially wrong for Brainy to be joining in the mockery of Bat Hound; not like her at all.

Iggy and Jimmy are both OK as supporting players (I liked "Dog Days of Winter" a lot) but, at least in my opinion, they're not strong enough characters to carry episodes on their own.

Comickook

[9]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 9
    catfan1 wrote:
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    catfan1 wrote:

Heh, I felt the same way during the most recent Iggy ep where he cloned himself. And I don't think I even sat through "Bad Hair Day" entirely (I think part of this is because Iggy just doesn't interest me much). You know, I've never seen "A Dog's Life" before. o.o I'd like to add "Bathound Meets The Dog Stars". The only redeeming thing about this episode was BullDog's tagging around with Bathound. Otherwise... bah. Unimaginative title, over-moralizing (again), and the Dog Stars acting like obnoxious highschoolers. I just thought it seemed OOC for them to be all, "This loser doesn't have powers! LOL!"
    I thought it seemed especially wrong for Brainy to be joining in the mockery of Bat Hound; not like her at all. Iggy and Jimmy are both OK as supporting players (I liked "Dog Days of Winter" a lot) but, at least in my opinion, they're not strong enough characters to carry episodes on their own.

Good points all. Episodes I, at least, had a hard time sitting through include "Bad Bailey" (majorly put off by the lazy ease in which Bailey found out K-Dog's identity), "Melanie's Monkey" (cute episode, but I think K-Dog's super-vision and super-smell would have detected the monkey before he left the rain forest the first time [admittedly that would elimate the vast majority of the episode, but you know what I mean]) and most of the ones where Ignatius is used (simply because of the complete lack of respect the writers seem to give somebody who is supposed to be the pet of one of DC's top villains [as has been said, Iggy is an amusing supporting character, but I think he would be a much better villain for the series if he was shown as being a lot smarter and a lot more evil {Lex Luthor is one of Superman's greatest enemies, so it seems only fair that Iggy be allowed to be at least as formidable of a menace to K-Dog as Lex is to Superman rather than just a "minor annoyance" villain}]). And I also felt the Dog Stars were written out of character when they were ridiculing Ace in BHMtDS (despite the fact that I DID love seeing Ace displaying his detective skills); that OOC portrayal is my biggest complain about I considered to be otherwise a pretty good episode.

Edited on 07/07/2006 11:30am

catfan1

[10]Jul 7, 2006

Good points all. Episodes I, at least, had a hard time sitting through include "Bad Bailey" (majorly put off by the lazy ease in which Bailey found out K-Dog's identity), "Melanie's Monkey" (cute episode, but I think K-Dog's super-vision and super-smell would have detected the monkey before he left the rain forest the first time [admittedly that would elimate the vast majority of the episode, but you know what I mean]) and most of the ones where Ignatius is used (simply because of the complete lack of respect the writers seem to give somebody who is supposed to be the pet of one of DC's top villains [as has been said, Iggy is an amusing supporting character, but I think he would be a much better villain for the series if he was shown as being a lot smarter and a lot more evil {Lex Luthor is one of Superman's greatest enemies, so it seems only fair that Iggy be allowed to be at least as formidable of a menace to K-Dog as Lex is to Superman rather than just a "minor annoyance" villain}]). And I also felt the Dog Stars were written out of character when they were ridiculing Ace in BHMtDS (despite the fact that I DID love seeing Ace displaying his detective skills); that OOC portrayal is my biggest complain about I considered to be otherwise a pretty good episode.

[/QUOTE]

Can't really disagree with any of that.  In fact, I think you pinpointed exactly what's wrong with the Iggy-centered episodes. He can be amusing in small doses but he'd be a more interesting character if the writers allowed him to be more threatening (and this series could really use some more formidable villains).

3StarvingArtist

[11]Jul 7, 2006

catfan1 wrote:
    I thought it seemed especially wrong for Brainy to be joining in the mockery of Bat Hound; not like her at all.

Iggy and Jimmy are both OK as supporting players (I liked "Dog Days of Winter" a lot) but, at least in my opinion, they're not strong enough characters to carry episodes on their own.

Again, I blame the writers (speaking of which, I hope they can get ones who don't turn the cast into jerks/or idiots. Thanks a lot, writers. You made me dislike Bulldog) >_< for making Brainy's mature personality turn a total 180. I mean, I could see BullDog and HotDog initially underestimating Ace (just going by their respective personalities), but the way things occured in that episode, just... no. 

And I agree with you on Iggy and Jimmy.

Edited on 07/07/2006 2:12pm

3StarvingArtist

[12]Jul 7, 2006
    catfan1 wrote:

Can't really disagree with any of that.  In fact, I think you pinpointed exactly what's wrong with the Iggy-centered episodes. He can be amusing in small doses but he'd be a more interesting character if the writers allowed him to be more threatening (and this series could really use some more formidable villains).

[/QUOTE]

I believe I've commented on the ineffectiveness of Iggy in another thread (he has so much potential as a villain). The only truly dangerous villain we got was Merton (man, PLEASE have him return!). But I'll say this -- thank God for fan-fiction. =D I wish fans could write for the show.

3StarvingArtist

[13]Jul 7, 2006
    Comickook wrote:

*nods in agreement* Check out my last post for how they could have handled BHMtDS better. Also, add "Melanie's Monkey" as another episode I've never seen.

Oh, and any almost ep where the writers feel the need to make Streaky look like a blockhead so Krypto/or whoever else can look good. Also, I was expecting a deep, interesting story from "Streaky's Inner Struggle", thinking that maybe Streaky was going to be conflicted over something or have to overcome some hardship. What we got was tolerable, but I guess I was expecting too much.

passiton

[14]Jul 7, 2006
    I agree with the statement that Brainy Barker shouldn't have been so harsh on Ace. It's her responsibility as a leader to treat each and every member with respect. I admire Brainy Barker, I don't want to see her do that kind of thing. Come to think of it, Tail Terrier, Mammoth Mutt, and Tusky Husky shouldn't be doing those sort of things either. It's just....not them.

Ladsone

[15]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 13

Hello friends. I've been reading this discussion with great interest. If you remember in Bat Hound meets the Dog Stars, it was Bulldog that pointed out that Ace had his own special "powers" and Mammoth Mutt, who apologized for the group. While I agree that Ignatius could be much more threatening (shame we can't substitute Catfan's and Comickook's version (Apollo)), although I did enjoy the episode "The Dog Days of Winter". As far as Brainy taunting Ace, remember that she was willing to allow Ace to search the ship when Hot Dog turned up missing. I believe that season two is starting to hit its stride, I just hope it's not too late. I have been told by Casey's mom that Casey has also written Cartoon Network and asked them not to cancel Krypto (that's my boy!). I do know he's looking forward to his vacation in two weeks. But for right now, lets just do what this forum was set up to do in the first place, exchange ideas and have fun (it does seem to be what all of us enjoy doing).

LADSONE

catfan1

[16]Jul 7, 2006

Ladsone wrote:
    Hello friends. I've been reading this discussion with great interest. If you remember in Bat Hound meets the Dog Stars, it was Bulldog that pointed out that Ace had his own special "powers" and Mammoth Mutt, who apologized for the group. While I agree that Ignatius could be much more threatening (shame we can't substitute Catfan's and Comickook's version (Apollo)), although I did enjoy the episode "The Dog Days of Winter". As far as Brainy taunting Ace, remember that she was willing to allow Ace to search the ship when Hot Dog turned up missing. I believe that season two is starting to hit its stride, I just hope it's not too late. I have been told by Casey's mom that Casey has also written Cartoon Network and asked them not to cancel Krypto (that's my boy!). I do know he's looking forward to his vacation in two weeks. But for right now, lets just do what this forum was set up to do in the first place, exchange ideas and have fun (it does seem to be what all of us enjoy doing).

LADSONE

You make some good points. I would also say that Iggy put in a pretty good villainous appearance in one of my favorite episodes, "Now You See Him..." (capturing Streaky and attacking Krypto with Kryptonite) although, admittedly, that one was primarily a showcase for Streaky.

I agree that, despite the occasional misstep, the second season was just getting really good. It will be a real shame if they don't get to do another season's worth of eps.

Edited on 07/07/2006 7:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

3StarvingArtist

[17]Jul 8, 2006

Ladsone wrote:

LADSONE

Hey, Ladsone. Well, while some of my criticisms concerning the show have been harsh, even the episodes I didn't like much had little moments in it that I enjoyed.

On BHMtDS: *nods* I understand your points. Still (and I think this is the critic and writer in me), to me, that whole episode the Dog Stars were mostly OOC just to deliver the "big moral of the day" to us. Passiton put it best: as leader and representative of the Dog Stars, Brainy should act the part. And Mammoth Mutt, Tusky Husky, and TT just don’t seem like the types to laugh at someone just for not having powers, IMHO. If they had had something like HotDog and BullDog (both of whom seem arrogant enough [HotDog especially] to do something like taunt a "not-so-super" hero [as it were]) giving Ace flack, then I wouldn't have had a problem with that. But I did like when Bulldog and Ace teamed up tho, and Ace showing exactly why he's not someone to be underestimated.

Iggy can have his moments of villainy. I enjoyed "Dog Days Of Winter" and "Now You See him..." I just wish we had more Ignatius episodes like those.

And I agree; I'd hate to see the show get cancelled just when it was getting so good. I hope our campaign to keep KTSD on the air is successful.

Edited on 07/08/2006 11:38am