Krypto: the Superdog Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Heroes & Villains: Their Pets

3StarvingArtist

[161]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 10
    Ladsone wrote:
    3StarvingArtist wrote:

Kimiko looks nicely done Ladsone. I also like the little feature fic you dd with her. But I'm curious to know, what happened to the two manta rays that were s'posed to be Black Manta's other sidekicks?

Btw, I'm going to try and get back in the loop now, since I think my KTS-muse has taken a break since I haven't seen any eps in a long time. *wishes they hurry and air the second season already*

Agreed. I have seen the trailer for the Krypto DVD on the Superman Homepage. Very nicely done. As far as the two mantas, I just could not come up with anything for them, so I've left them out for the time being. I might head to the Aquarium in Tampa while I'm over there visiting Casey. Maybe betwen the two of us, we can come up with something.

LADSONE

Trailer, huh? *is curious* I don't suppose I could get a link, could I? And I have no doubt that you and Casey'll be able to deliver on those chars.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

3StarvingArtist

[162]Apr 4, 2006

Another Teen Titans-flavored superpet.

Name: Splash.

Species: Sea otter.

Abilities/Powers: In addition to her natural otter abilities, Splash possesses sorcerous powers. Presently, Splash can manipulate the density of water, enabling herself or others to walk on it, has limited telepathy and telekinesis (she can lift up to 900 lbs. within a range of six ft.), breath freely underwater, alter the flow of water systems (this includes being able to create aquatic anomalies like whirlpools, vortices, tidal waves, and water spouts), and teleport up to two miles away (the repeatability of this particular power depends on the number of times used).

Home Planet or State: Atlantis (formerly lived off the coast of northern Japan).

Owner: Tempest (AKA Aqualad, AKA Garth).

History: Once Splash was an ordinary otter and a friend to Tempest back in their younger days when she was a pup and he was still a teenager. When she and her other otter friends were threatened by poachers one day, Tempest came to their rescue, driving the men away. However, during the melee, Splash was gravely injured, so Tempest used his mystical powers to save his old friend. Afterwards, it was discovered that she had gained some of Tempest’s powers. Since then, Tempest has taken on the otter as a sidekick of sorts and is helping her learn how to wield her magic. Splash often tags along with Tempest on his adventures, but has teamed up with Dorcan and even the rest of the JLA before.

Description: A female sea otter, with mostly warm brown fur save for a lighter blonde head and throat. There is also a white marking resembling a seashell on her chest, and she wears a golden collar.

Personality: Friendly, good-humored, and fun-loving, but knows how to get serious when she has to be, and is actually slightly more serious then Streaky, Zipster, Comet (Stargirl’s ferret), and Slick. She's almost always willing to help anyone who's in need out. Clever enough to come up with some pretty creative uses of her abilities (like stopping escaping watercraft by making the surrounding water hard as stone); something of a tomboy. She is good friends with Warp as well as the rest of the members of the Pantheon of Familiars, and also gets on quite well with Dorcan, Krypto, and most of the other JLA members. Very loyal to Tempest, as well as her other friends and allies, to the point where she’d drop everything to go help them, but a villain could use this against her by endangering her friends and set her up for a trap. Finally, she strongly dislikes hunters, poachers, and similar folks (obviously).

Voice actor: Considering Dionne Quan.

Edited on 07/18/2006 9:35am
    Edited 8 total times.

Comickook

[163]Apr 4, 2006
    • level: 9
    Hey, not a bad idea. As for a personality, well, I could see this otter being a clever and fun-loving creature (the clever and fun-loving aspects of her personality allowing her to think of some interesting uses for her powers), but also courageous, extremely loyal to all of her friends (such as Tempest himself and most of her fellow animal heroes) and just serious enough in an emergency to focus on the job. Best I can think of, but maybe you can think of one or two things to add to it, 3StarvingArtist. :-D

3StarvingArtist

[164]Apr 4, 2006
    Comickook wrote:
    Hey, not a bad idea. As for a personality, well, I could see this otter being a clever and fun-loving creature (the clever and fun-loving aspects of her personality allowing her to think of some interesting uses for her powers), but also courageous, extremely loyal to all of her friends (such as Tempest himself and most of her fellow animal heroes) and just serious enough in an emergency to focus on the job. Best I can think of, but maybe you can think of one or two things to add to it, 3StarvingArtist. :-D

Thanks. I also like your idea for Splash's personality; I can definately see Splash as the bubbly sort (but maybe slightly more serious then Streaky, Comet, or Zipster). I'll work on her some this week.

Heh, all we need now are pets for WonderGirl, Starfire, Speedy, Raven, Robin, and Cyborg. Hrm...
    Edited on 04/04/2006 5:14pm

Comickook

[165]Apr 4, 2006
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Comickook wrote:

Thanks. I also like your idea for Splash's personality; I can definitely see Splash as the bubbly sort (but maybe slightly more serious then Streaky, Slick, Comet [ferret], or Zipster). I'll work on her some this week.

Thanks. Heh. Interesting. Out of those examples you mentioned, Streaky might be the most serious of all of them [Slick is definitely nuts enough to make Streaky look like Ace by comparison]

Heh, all we need now are pets for WonderGirl, Starfire, Speedy, Raven, Robin, and Cyborg. Hrm...

Yeah. Hmmm, Starfire would probably be one of the most fun to think about because she's got that alien aspect, meaning a literal universe of possibilities. Raven's pet would, most likely be, well, a raven. And I could see Wonder Girl trying to find a pet cat to act as a sometimes partner to Wanda (after all, if WG might think that, if a feline ally with similar powers is good enough for Krypto, it's good enough for Wanda [:-D]). As for Cyborg, Speedy (Arsenal... you know what I mean) and Robin, no thoughts on those yet, but they could be fun to think about too. :-D

Mammal_Mage

[166]Apr 5, 2006
    • level: 24
    Comickook wrote:
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Comickook wrote:

Thanks. I also like your idea for Splash's personality; I can definitely see Splash as the bubbly sort (but maybe slightly more serious then Streaky, Slick, Comet [ferret], or Zipster). I'll work on her some this week.

Thanks. Heh. Interesting. Out of those examples you mentioned, Streaky might be the most serious of all of them [Slick is definitely nuts enough to make Streaky look like Ace by comparison]

Yeah. Hmmm, Starfire would probably be one of the most fun to think about because she's got that alien aspect, meaning a literal universe of possibilities. Raven's pet would, most likely be, well, a raven. And I could see Wonder Girl trying to find a pet cat to act as a sometimes partner to Wanda (after all, if WG might think that, if a feline ally with similar powers is good enough for Krypto, it's good enough for Wanda [:-D]). As for Cyborg, Speedy (Arsenal... you know what I mean) and Robin, no thoughts on those yet, but they could be fun to think about too. :-D

In a way Starfire already has a pet in the cartoon(Silkie the silkworm), but I see her having a pheanix. Cyborg should have a robot dog, Speedy a Deerhound, and the show already has an animal version of Robin.

3StarvingArtist

[167]Apr 5, 2006
    Mammal_Mage wrote:
    Comickook wrote:
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Comickook wrote:

In a way Starfire already has a pet in the cartoon(Silkie the silkworm), but I see her having a pheanix. Cyborg should have a robot dog, Speedy a Deerhound, and the show already has an animal version of Robin.

On the most serious superanimal: Ooo, Slick, I forgot about him. You know the other three must be real cutups if Streaky's the most serious one out of the bunch.

On TT pets: Well actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the comic-book versions of the chars myself. A deerhound for Speedy, huh? I like the way you think, Mammal Mage (they're great dogs). So, you wanna tackle Speedy's pet, or shall I? I really like the idea of Wondergirl having a 'Wondercat' too, and the robotic dog idea could work for Cyborg. As for Robin's robin Robby (boy, try saying that three times fast)... like Knightmysterio was saying earlier, do we really wanna use the avian-version of Jar-Jar Binks (IMHO)?
    Edited on 04/05/2006 7:09am

Mammal_Mage

[168]Apr 5, 2006
    "Wondercat" was comickook's idea. You can think up a pet for Speedy(I think a deerhound would be good, because it's a dog used for hunting).

Comickook

[169]Apr 5, 2006
    Mammal_Mage wrote:
    "Wondercat" was comickook's idea. You can think up a pet for Speedy(I think a deerhound would be good, because it's a dog used for hunting).

Yeah, I did come up with that "Wondercat" idea. I just might not have worded it correctly. I mean, WG might not actively look for a cat to act as a partner to Wanda (in fact, I know she wouldn't, I was just putting down THAT part as a joke), but she might be willing to take in a cat that ended up getting the same powers as Wanda (super-strength, super-speed, super-endurance and flight) via some incredible occurence (I'll let you come up with the details if you can think of them. 3StarvingArtist).

As for Streaky being the most serious out of himself, Zipster, Comet (ferret) and Slick, keep in mind that Zipster, Slick and Comet all have smart-alec owners and don't have a more serious partner to keep them more grounded most of the time. Streaky usually DOES (either Krypto, Ace or both depending on the circumatances) so, while he IS a smart-alec, he's probably somewhat less so than any of those three.

As for Arsenal's pet, I ALSO like the way Mammal_Mage thinks. A hunting-type dog WOULD be a pretty logical choice.

And as for Starfire, as you said, you're going by the comics' version rather than the animated one, but given that, the fact that she IS an extra-terrestrial means, like I said, a literal universe of possibilities.

As for Nightwing; either a small, but still brave AND smart bird or a dog that is similar to Ace, but is younger and (only somewhat) less serious. Either would be a logical choice.

3StarvingArtist

[170]Apr 6, 2006
    Comickook wrote:
    Mammal_Mage wrote:

Yeah, I did come up with that "Wondercat" idea. I just might not have worded it correctly. I mean, WG might not actively look for a cat to act as a partner to Wanda (in fact, I know she wouldn't, I was just putting down THAT part as a joke), but she might be willing to take in a cat that ended up getting the same powers as Wanda (super-strength, super-speed, super-endurance and flight) via some incredible occurence (I'll let you come up with the details if you can think of them. 3StarvingArtist).

As for Streaky being the most serious out of himself, Zipster, Comet (ferret) and Slick, keep in mind that Zipster, Slick and Comet all have smart-alec owners and don't have a more serious partner to keep them more grounded most of the time. Streaky usually DOES (either Krypto, Ace or both depending on the circumatances) so, while he IS a smart-alec, he's probably somewhat less so than any of those three.

As for Arsenal's pet, I ALSO like the way Mammal_Mage thinks. A hunting-type dog WOULD be a pretty logical choice.

And as for Starfire, as you said, you're going by the comics' version rather than the animated one, but given that, the fact that she IS an extra-terrestrial means, like I said, a literal universe of possibilities.

As for Nightwing; either a small, but still brave AND smart bird or a dog that is similar to Ace, but is younger and (only somewhat) less serious. Either would be a logical choice.

On 'Wondercat': Sorry about that Wondercat mix-up guys; I'll be more clear next time. And yeah, I kinda figured that WG prolly wouldn't go partner-searching for Wanda. I'll also take that challenge on coming up with a file for the char.

On Streaky and co: Agreed 100%.

On the other TT pets: No argument on the Robin/Nightwing pet idea or Starfire either. Wasn't there an avian-equivalent of Starfire floatng around on one of the threads here somewhere?

Mammal_Mage

[171]Apr 6, 2006
    It's in the "Future Animals" thread.

3StarvingArtist

[172]May 9, 2006

Nike's personality needs a bit more work methinks, and the animal-version of the Teen Titans still needs an official group name, but here's what I have for Wondergirl's pet so far. Comments and suggestions welcome (BTW, the version of the Titans I'm going with is a mix of the comics and some speculation on my part about animated DC continuity).

Name: Nike, AKA Wondercat.

Species: Egyptian mau mix.

Abilities/Powers: Superhuman strength, durability, and speed, as well as the power of flight; an excellent athlete (by feline standards). With thanks to Wanda, she is becoming more and more skilled in paw-to-paw combat (though she is still not as good as her teacher [due to Wanda’s just being more experienced]).

Home Planet or State: Originally Athens, Greece; now the U.S.A.

Owner: Wonder Girl (AKA Cassie Sandsmark).

History: The cat that would come to be known as Nike (after the Greek goddess of victory) used to live in Athens before being abandoned by her owners for reasons unknown. While sniffing around for a meal on a dock, she lost her footing and fell into the harbor. Her cries attracted Cassie’s attention (at the time, Cassie was in Athens with her mother on vacation), and she came to the cat’s rescue. For her part, the extremely grateful cat wanted to repay Cassie, so she took to following her around the city. Cassie noticed this, and, eventually deciding that the cat would make an ideal companion, took her in.

While Nike was happy that she had a new home, she eventually began taking an interest in her mistress’ superheroing career, and, feeling inspired, started striking out on her own to handle smaller cases. She even met with Wonderdog, Supecat, and Superdog on one occasion. Nike’s first real test as a superhero was when she joined (well technically, more like snuck along with) the JLA and some of their allies against the sinister canine sorcerer Presto Pooch. During the subsequent confrontation, a magical mishap caused Wanda’s powers to be copied onto Nike. Although Wanda initially wasn’t sure what to make of the feline (but definitely did not like a civilian like Nike endangering herself like she had by coming with them), Nike did play a part in helping the heroes to defeat Presto Pooch. So she began warming up to Nike more, and even started teaching her how to better use her new powers.

At first, Nike and Superpup (who met one another through their owners) were anything but friends (Superpup’s brashness and attitude annoying Nike greatly [and she didn’t hesitate in openly showing her dislike either] and Superpup returning the sentiment), a crisis that forced the two super animals (as well as Warp, Splash, Turbo, Sparrowfire, Racer, Robby, and Metria) to all work together in order to aid the older animal heroes served to mellow the two’s feelings towards one another out (despite the occasional argument between them every now and then). After this event, the young animal heroes decided to stay together form a team of their own, though they still operate with their respective mentors/or masters (or partners [as some like Robby insist] in some cases).

Description: Young female Egyptian mau mix, bronze-furred with several darker brown and black spots on her back. The tip of her tail is white, and there is white fur within her ears. Wears silver gauntlets on her forepaws, and a red collar featuring the Wonder Woman emblem in gold.

Personality: Bright, outgoing, and able to think fast on her feet. Courageous to the point of recklessness and devoted to all of her friends. Knows how to enjoy herself off-duty. Now that she and Superpup are friends, she enjoys playfully teasing him, but all the same does like him as a friend (though she still says he’s too arrogant at times). Can be a bit of a showoff sometimes, but does have a good heart.

Edited on 05/09/2006 8:20am

3StarvingArtist

[173]May 9, 2006

Name: Racer.

Species: Scottish deerhound.

Abilities/Powers: In addition to his natural deerhound abilities, Racer is highly athletic and fairly skilled in paw-to-paw combat. Speedy has also designed a special collar for him to wear that can fire a variety of trick arrows (sonic stunner arrows, plasma flash arrows, energy arrows, arrows equipped with either sleeping gas or tear gas canisters, etc.). He can aim these arrows with outstanding accuracy.

Home Planet or State:

Owner: Speedy (AKA Roy Harper, AKA Arsenal).

History: Racer’s parents were a pair of prized racing dogs. When the manager of the racing association that owned the dogs owed some gangsters money for gambling debts, the gangsters threatened to take it out on his prized dogs unless they were paid on time. Despite the owner’s desperate scrambling to get the money in time (as he didn’t want to loose his meal tickets), the criminals had some of the dogs dognapped, including Racer’s mother and father. Fortunately for them, Speedy was after the very same gangsters, though for unrelated crimes. He learned what was going on, and rescued the dogs and bought the criminals to justice. To show his gratitude, the owner gave Speedy one of their pups. Speedy took a shine to the dog and dubbed him Racer (for obvious reasons). Eventually, Racer met Green Arrow and his “partner” Locksley. Although Locksley found the puppy rather… well, exasperating at first (as all Racer wanted to do was constantly play), as he got older, Racer eventually began looking up to Locksley more. Racer took to accompanying Speedy on his jobs, and even tackled some cases on his own.

Description: Sandy-red Scottish deerhound. On duty, wears a black domino mask and a red and black utility collar (somewhat similar to Ace’s in terms of how it functions). Still a young adult, although he’s definitely not a puppy (and doesn’t like to be referred to as one either).

Personality: Racer is free-spirited and independent, as well as slightly arrogant, but also generally compassionate, intelligent (though some would argue with this ), and can be counted on a crisis. Tends to act before he thinks, and is known for firing insults as well as arrows at the villains (a trait he’s picked up from Speedy, Green Arrow, and Locksley). Can become distracted by attractive lady dogs (yet *another* trait he’s picked up from Speedy, Green Arrow, and Locksley ), but after a few close calls, has gained enough self-control to make himself focus on the case at hand. Closest friends among the young animal heroes are probably Turbo, Nike, and Splash.

3StarvingArtist

[174]May 9, 2006

Name: Turbo.

Species: American bulldog (cybernetic dog).

Abilities/Powers: Bionically enhanced strength and durability (he isn't as strong as the Superpets or the Wonderpets, but his strength level is still pretty respectable), has a powerful disrupter beam located on his right wrist joint, and flight capacity (jump jets built into his hind paws).

Home Planet or State:

Owner: Cyborg (AKA Vic Stone).

History: Once a normal dog, until he was struck by a car while attempting to cross a freeway. Luckily for this canine, Cyborg happened to be in the same area, and took pity on the half-dead dog. He saved the dog’s life using some of the very same science that had saved his own life a few years back. Cyborg came to realize that Turbo, as he had started calling the dog, could definitely be a useful partner in crimefighting when some criminals attempted to break into Cyborg’s lab one night in search of some high-tech equipment that they intended to use against the heroes. However, Turbo detected their presence and raised the alarm in time. Together with his new master, both apprehended the criminals.

Description: Appears to be a normal American bulldog (as his robotic parts are covered by realistic fur and skin); white except for a brown ring around his right eye, brown fur covering his right ear, and various brown patches on his stomach and the right side of his body. Much of his left foreleg, nearly the entire back half of his body (including his hind legs), and the entirety of his right foreleg are robotic.

Personality: Fairly serious-minded, very hardworking, and logical (but not overly so), but can be easygoing during downtime and always keeps the welfare of innocents in mind. Intelligent and extremely loyal to his friends and master. Likes to keep active, as he can get bored fairly quickly if there’s nothing to do; also has an interest in science and technology, and particularly enjoys speaking to Tech-Hound (seeing as do they do have the same interests).

Edited on 07/18/2006 7:53am

Ladsone

[175]May 9, 2006
    • level: 13

Interesting Character Bio.  The gears are already turning for a possible debut episode (with your permission, of course)

LADSONE

3StarvingArtist

[176]May 9, 2006
    Thanks (oh, and thank ComicKook and MammalMage for inspiring me to create these chars). Anytime ANYONE wants to use one of my chars for a story, it's perfectly alright by me (just as long as no one kills them off or has them act out of character [but I don't worry too much about stuff like that in this fandom]).
    Edited on 05/09/2006 10:58am

Comickook

[177]May 9, 2006

Thanks, 3StarvingArtist. I have to admit that you did a terrific job on these characters. Definitely shows a lot of thought went into these. As for the team name.... how about the Pantheon of Familiars ("'pantheon'" as a reference to a collection of gods or titans and "'familiars'" as a reference to the bestial accomplices of witches [I considered just "'Pet Pantheon'", but I figure at least one or two of them might have issues with being referred to as "'pets'").

Oh, and I did some minor revisions on Gabriella and Locksley's profiles. Go ahead and check them out when you have time. :-D

Edited on 05/09/2006 3:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.

3StarvingArtist

[178]May 10, 2006

Thanks. Hmm... Pantheon of Familiars... it could work.

Gabriella and Locksley's updated profiles: Awesome. An inventive way of giving Gabriella powers and a nod to Black Canary (especially the "sonic chirp"). And I wondered exactly how Locksley used those arrows of his.

Now I really need to write down a draft for that time-travel story, though I'm going to start work on the story centering around the PoF's creation first. I've got a plot in mind, but I'm trying to decide on a villain (so many good ones that I'd like to use) and work on the profiles of two new villains I also plan on introducing in it (I just seem to be having trouble thinking up the finer details for their bios).

3StarvingArtist

[179]May 22, 2006

Another WIP I thought I'd share. Geist was originally going to be a male raven, but after extensively reading up on Dr. Fate, I thought a senmurv would be a better choice. Also, the Dr. Fate I'm using is the version seen in the DCAU.

Name: Geist.

Species: Senmurv (mythical dog/lion/bird hybrid).

Abilities/Powers: Her kinds’ natural abilities of winged flight, retractable claws, self and extended healing abilities (she is able to quickly recover from any minor injuries she receives, though numerous/or more extensive injuries do take longer to heal), and eyesight as keen as an eagle’s. As was said, she is capable of healing others from sickness or wounds. Geist also has several mystical abilities that Dr. Fate and her own relatives have taught her, including super-strength with durability to match (she can carry up to 30 tons [not bad for an animal that’s only slightly larger then a full-grown german shepherd]), clairvoyance, illusion casting, the power to fire mystical energy bolts from her forepaws, limited control over water, and the ability to become invisible as well as intangible. However, her spells are limited by the fact that big feats require more extensive concentration and can also take a lot out of her, and she must concentrate while casting any spell. Because Geist is a mythical creature, she will live much longer then any normal animal.

Even without her powers, Geist is still quite formidable in unarmed (and un-powered) combat. She is also exceptionally intelligent and a good tactician.

Home planet or state: Salem, Massachusetts (formerly Egypt).

Owner: Dr. Fate (AKA Kent Nelson).

History: Well, senmurvs (namely Geist’s family) had assisted the Lord of Order Nabu the Wise back in the time of ancient Egypt. Eventually, after Nabu was entombed, the senmurv pack returned to the wilderness to live, though they kept a weather eye out for any problems involving the supernatural. Geist, being born in Egypt (though long after the reign of the pharaohs), also grew up there, though when she became older she traveled the globe a lot. On one of her travels, which was to Iran, she was captured by afrits who were planning to open a dimensional gateway to another world in order to release a horde of demonic monsters onto Earth. When Dr. Fate came to Iran to investigate the situation, he also freed the senmurv in the process. She recognized his golden helmet and amulet as the former property of Nabu and immediately came to aid of the sorcerer. Together, both battled the afrits and stopped them from going through with their scheme, finally managing to banish them back to the underworld. Dr. Fate and the senmurv developed a strong bond, and she decided to remain by his side to not only watch over her new friend, but help him as well. Dr. Fate’s wife Inza, suggested the name Geist for the senmurv, due to her ethereal appearance.

Although initially only an ally of the JLAnimals, Geist eventually joins the team later on.

Description: Geist has a leonine body, with light silver and white-feathered wings and the head as well as tail of a taigan. Most of her fur is pale gold, except for her face, which is white. Wears a gold collar paneled with lapis lazuli, with a turquoise gemstone in the center that allows her to better focus her magic.

Personality: To those who first met her, Geist seems rather enigmatic. She is somewhat serious, especially in times of crisis, and a little soft-spoken, though she will voice her opinions without hesitation and is very valiant and quick-witted when helping her friends. She is noble, has a strong sense of justice, and cares deeply for all her friends.

Btw, if anyone's wondering what a taigan is: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/necku/taigan/index.html

Edited on 07/18/2006 8:15am
    Edited 4 total times.

Comickook

[180]May 24, 2006
    Hi there, 3StarvingArtist. I have to say this is some impressive work. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I was just trying to think of something to add for the personality, but I really like what you came up with for that. :-D Thanks very much.