Krypto: the Superdog Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Heroes & Villains: Their Pets

3StarvingArtist

[181]May 24, 2006
    • level: 10

Anytime. Yeah, the personality was a toughie, since I've only seen Dr. Fate in action on JLU a total of two times, and there still wasn't really much to go on in terms of personality. I was hoping that what I wrote was fairly close to Dr. Fate's own.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

3StarvingArtist

[182]Jul 9, 2006
    Here's a recent idea that I had. ComicKook came up with a lot of the great details in here. As always, comments or suggestions are welcome.

Name: Goldrush.

Species: Golden retriever.

Abilities/Powers: Flight, mildly augmented strength (not in the same league as the Superpets or the Wonderpets, but enough to still be respectable), personal force-field generation, and he is able to fire energy blasts from his forepaws. He also owns a special “personal computer” collar that provides him with assorted pieces of early 21st century information.

Home Planet or State:

Owner: Michael Carter (AKA Booster Gold).

History: A stray from the late 25th century, the golden retriever who would soon become known as Goldrush was accidentally bought to the present-day as a result of a temporal fluke created by Apollo’s (the KWLS-version of Ignatius) dimensional opener. Once arriving in the present, the dog quickly deduced that he had gained superpowers in the process (the result of his contact with the temporal energies). Always having been the ambitious type, the dog decided to go into business for himself (so to speak) as a hero for hire, saving the day for ten dog biscuits.

He first met Booster Gold while the hero was out promoting the opening of an uptown car dealership which was suddenly attacked by villains out for revenge against Booster. Sensing an opportunity to get even more fame for himself, the dog did his part in helping to repel the criminals. Afterwards, realizing that the dog had potential as a sidekick (not to mention Booster’s own thoughts that the ladies loved a guy with a pet), Booster took the retriever in and named him Goldrush. Goldrush would go onto meet Dragonfly (the Blue Beetle’s cat), and both would eventually join the JLAnimals.

Description: A male golden retriever with clear blue eyes and golden-yellow fur. Wears yellow-tinted goggles, a yellow doggie jacket with a flared collar, and a high-tech gold collar with a blue star tag.

Personality: Somewhat egotistical (he wouldn’t mind upstaging Krypto or Ace on a job if he ever got the chance), a major wiseacre who has trouble passing up the chance to make a wisecrack (even when he probably SHOULD), and something of a babe hound (no pun intended) who almost always has to flirt with every attractive female dog he encounters (not even Dog Star Patrol members Brainy Barker and Mammoth Mutt or JLAnimals’ members Wanda and Chameleon Collie are exempt from his attempted flirtations), Goldrush definitely wouldn't mind landing some major score that would keep him in quality dog food (so to speak) for the rest of his life.

Still, he generally does have a good heart, a lot of actual courage when faced with a tough situation, and a fair amount of loyalty to his fellow heroes. He is also a reasonably competent and reliable hero when he can put all distractions aside and focus completely on the job (though this last part occasionally requires a decided measure of prodding on Dragonfly’s part when the two are working together).

DanSandwichBoy

[183]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 16

I've got a few. One or two don't actually belong to the superheros they're based on, but their owners live in the same area.

Name: Duffy, aka Electromutt (Sparky is so... cliche)

Species: Brown dog

Powers: Electromagnetic-based (though shorted out by contact with water)

Home: Dakota City

Owner: Dwayne McCall (the boy who can morph inanimate objects in the Static Shock Season 1 episode "Child's Play"), but based on Static

History: Duffy was Dwayne's pet since just before Ms. McCall married Mr. Price. Always having known that Dwayne's stepbrother, Aaron, was bad, he ran away the moment he heard that Aaron would be let out on parole, not wanting to be in the same house as that juvenile delinquent! Unfortunately for Dwayne, this action of Duffy's is what inadvertently lead to his master getting caught in the fateful Big Bang. However, a few years later, Duffy missed Dwayne and returned to Dakota City. However, he ended up getting caught in the second Big Bang, which was set off by the supervillains who missed being... well, supervillains.

Static was the first to discover this dog's powers, and Dwayne identified the dog as his. Knowing about animal superheroes, such as Krypto, Static and Gear agreed to let Duffy become Dakota City's first animal superhero, Electromutt, even giving him his costume. However, a supervillain raccoon, named Shockwave came about from the second Big Bang, and Electromutt tracked him to Metropolis. After he saved Krypto from a trap set up by Mechanikat, the Superdog agreed to help beat Electromutt's villain and nominated him to be a member of the Dog Stars.

Description: A brown dog who's loyal, confident, and normally easy-going. He can be a little cocky sometimes, but he knows when to get serious. He wears a blue doggie jacket, a white mask, and a Static insignia on his collar.

Name: Tom, aka Sprocket

Species: Yellow tabby cat

Powers: Superintelligence and limited telepathic communication, which allows him to create crime fighting gadgets, albeit what Gear already predesigned: his supersuit (with jet pack), the zap-caps, and a computerized collar (based on Backpack) that hooks up to the visor on the supersuit, and activates the suit on Sprocket's telepathic command.

Home: Dakota City

Owner: Tony Scott (Dwayne's best friend after the second Big Bang), but based on Gear

History: Tom was adopted by Tony from the local animal shelter, and he soon became fast friends with Duffy/Electromutt. His natural curiosity led him to an Alva Industries warehouse, where Static and Gear were foiling Specs and Trapper's theft of technology. A freak accident causes an experimental beam to bounce off of Gear and hit Tom. Upon examining him at the Abandoned Gas Station of Solitude, Gear founded out that Tom gained his powers, as well as some limited telepathic communication, which allowed the two geniuses to communicate with each other. After Gear helped set up Tom's alter ego as Sprocket, the new hero teamed up with Electromutt and became another non-canine honorary Dog Star, like Streaky (another cat) and Ch'p (a squirrel).

Description: A yellow tabby cat with a good sense of humor and a natural sense of curiosity. Like "E.M.", he's confident, easy-going and knows when to get serious. And, despite what many--including Electomutt--may assume, he does NOT have a crush on Dragonfly! She's just a professional colleague and a good friend. So what if he blushes every once and while when she's around or is mentioned? He wears a green jumpsuit with a jet pack and a visor that serves as the monitor for his computerized collar.

Name: Jerry McGinnis, Jerry the Bathound, Bathound, Bathound Beyond

Species: Black dog

Powers: A bat-like supersuit with a jet pack.

Home: Gotham City... about 40 years later!

Owner--ahem, partner: Terry McGinnis (well, mainly, Jerry is Matt's dog)

History: Jerry was adopted from the animal shelter by Terry McGinnis's little brother, Matt. One day, Jerry followed Terry to the Batcave, where he learned that Bruce Wayne was the old Batman, and his dog, Ace, was his "partner", Bathound. One day, Jerry sneaked off with Ace's old uniform, and then met a group of superhero animals known as the Star Patrol Unlimited (SPU), led by Superdog and a few of the original Dog Stars. Once Ace found out, he was furious, but an old friend convinced him to give Jerry a chance with the suit. After stopping the supervillain Dr. Oblongata, Jerry had proven himself worthy of being Ace's successor and becoming Jerry the Bathound, aka, to us, Bathound Beyond. However, he turned down the offer of joining the SPU.

Description: A plucky, eager, and a little impulsive, young, black dog equipped with a black Batman Beyond-like supersuit.

So, what do you think of Electromutt, Sprocket, and Bathound Beyond?

Edited on 07/18/2006 12:50pm
    Edited 10 total times.

3StarvingArtist

[184]Jul 11, 2006

They're intersting, but I have a few comments...

On Electromutt: I like the char, and his personality is nicely done, but it's hard for me to picture a dog trapising around in a trenchcoat. Maybe a blue doggie jacket instead? Also, Krypto agreeing to help track down Electromutt's villain only after being rescued by Electromutt sounds... well, not very Krypto-like. He would want to help find this bad guy regardless, because based on what we've seen of Krypto's personality, I don't think he would sit around while a villain's running around town.

Tom: I think Sprocket works as a code name for him, but I could prolly think of some other names if you don't want to keep it.

Bathound Beyond: *L* This is a really good one. I especially like the bit about him referring to Terry as his partner.

Ladsone

[185]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 13

Hello my friends.  Last night, I was going over some notes I had on some early character development and was able to put this one together.  This will be a new villain with a very storied history.

NAME:  Poseidon

SPECIES:  Leopard Seal

POWERS:  Excellent swimming ability, powerful jaws for tearing through and holding on to anything

OWNER:  Captain Nemo

HOME:  Antarctica

History:  Little is known about the infamous Captain Nemo, but he did have one very special pet.  Poseidon was used for hunting and capturing larger fish for the crew of the Nautilus.  Nemo also used Poseidon as a "way to keep the crew in line".  At last reports (around the turn of the 20th century), Nemo was on his death bed an had ordered the Nautilus to the South Pole to be entombed with both himself and his pet inside.  The sub was steered into a cavern inside a glacial mountain range.  Once the crew was safely away, Nemo fired two torpedoes to seal the entrance.  Nemo went back to his cabin and went to sleep.  Poseidon was kept in a water-filled tank which over time; froze, placing him in a state of suspended animation.  One Hundred years later, scientists stumbled upon the Nautilus and found the tank.  It was removed and sent to the Metropolis Aquarium.  Once the seal was thawed out, he quickly showed his temper (leopard seals are some of the most fiercest animals in the water) and escaped.  He knew he could not survive in the warmer waters around Metropolis, so he made a bee-line for colder waters.  He was later befriended by a renegade Eskimo, who sought revenge on the village that banished him.

DESCRIPTION:  Your standard gray leopard seal with black markings.  Also has two scars on his face from previous battles.  Wears a black collar with a gold medallion bearing Nemo's crest (a large N with a trident through the middle of it).

3StarvingArtist

[186]Jul 11, 2006

Man, that's a sweet bad guy, Ladsone (just finished watching a special on leopard seals on Animal Planet)! Poseidon should definately "meet" Dorcan and Splash (in fact, I had been thinking about writing a story where Dorcan and Splash team-up to fight Kimiko. I'd like to use him somehow).

Comickook

[187]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 9

3StarvingArtist wrote:
    They're interesting, but I have a few comments...

On Electromutt: I like the char, and his personality is nicely done, but it's hard for me to picture a dog trapising around in a trenchcoat. Maybe a blue doggie jacket instead? Also, Krypto agreeing to help track down Electromutt's villain only after being rescued by Electromutt sounds... well, not very Krypto-like. He would want to help find this bad guy regardless, because based on what we've seen of Krypto's personality, I don't think he would sit around while a villain's running around town.

Yeah. Those are some excellent points, 3StarvingArtist. Of course, on the latter one, maybe Krypto was JUST getting back from another mission in another part of the world when he ended up in that trap DanSandwichBoy mentioned and, so Electromutt didn't HAVE A CHANCE to tell Krypto about the villain he was after until AFTER the rescue. Otherwise, on that front, you would be quite right on your character points.

Tom: I think Sprocket works as a code name for him, but I could prolly think of some other names if you don't want to keep it. Yeah. I also liked Sprocket. Also, heck, maybe Sprocket could be a good added friend for 3StarvingArtist's Blue Beetle cat, Dragonfly (she might be able to really appreciate having another cat to talk to who's at least as intelligent and tech-savy as she is) and it might add some spice to some of the Dragonfly/Goldrush team-ups if they have to work with Electromutt and Sprocket on occasion.... (assuming you two would both be okay with that, DanSandwichBoy and 3StarvingArtist). :-D

Bathound Beyond: *L* This is a really good one. I especially like the bit about him referring to Terry as his partner.

Quite right. Quite right. :-D

Anyway, Ladsone. I really like your latest idea too. :-D Great future villain.

Edited on 07/11/2006 11:18am

DanSandwichBoy

[188]Jul 11, 2006
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Also, Krypto agreeing to help track down Electromutt's villain only after being rescued by Electromutt sounds... well, not very Krypto-like. He would want to help find this bad guy regardless, because based on what we've seen of Krypto's personality, I don't think he would sit around while a villain's running around town.

Krypto never refused to help. He was already falling into Mechanikat's trap by the time E.M. came along. When he helped Krypto get out and told him about the villain he was after, he agreed to help.

On another topic, anyone else think Strech-O-Mutt could be considered Rubberband Man's canine counterpart? He can disguise himself the way he does, and he even changes into costume much the way he does.

3StarvingArtist

[189]Jul 11, 2006
    DanSandwichBoy wrote:
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Also, Krypto agreeing to help track down Electromutt's villain only after being rescued by Electromutt sounds... well, not very Krypto-like. He would want to help find this bad guy regardless, because based on what we've seen of Krypto's personality, I don't think he would sit around while a villain's running around town.

Krypto never refused to help. He was already falling into Mechanikat's trap by the time E.M. came along. When he helped Krypto get out and told him about the villain he was after, he agreed to help.

Ah, my mistake then. Still, that's something you should prolly make clearer in his profile.

On another topic, anyone else think Strech-O-Mutt could be considered Rubberband Man's canine counterpart? He can disguise himself the way he does, and he even changes into costume much the way he does.

I thought Stretch was s'posed to be Plastic Man's counterpart, but he could be an analogue to Rubberband Man as well (seeing as all three have very similar abilities).

3StarvingArtist

[190]Jul 11, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 07/11/2006 12:08pm

3StarvingArtist

[191]Jul 11, 2006
    [QUOTE="Comickook"]

3StarvingArtist wrote:

Tom: I think Sprocket works as a code name for him, but I could prolly think of some other names if you don't want to keep it. Yeah. I also liked Sprocket. Also, heck, maybe Sprocket could be a good added friend for 3StarvingArtist's Blue Beetle cat, Dragonfly (she might be able to really appreciate having another cat to talk to who's at least as intelligent and tech-savy as she is) and it might add some spice to some of the Dragonfly/Goldrush team-ups if they have to work with Electromutt and Sprocket on occasion.... (assuming you two would both be okay with that, DanSandwichBoy and 3StarvingArtist). :-D

*nods* Yeah, Dragonfly definately wouldn't mind having a fellow tech-cat to hang with. And I wouldn't have any problems with such a team-up.

DanSandwichBoy

[192]Jul 11, 2006
    I guess that, since Rubberband Man is the one I'm more familiar with, I really only related S-O-M to him. There is, of course, the fact that S-O-M and RB M have very different personalities.

Anyway, I gave Electromutt a doggie jacket as suggested, got rid of my "if anyone can think of a better name" sign, since people seem to like the name Sprocket (I guess it was pretty good), changed all references to "jet-shoes" to "jet pack" (I mean, come on! Jet shoes on beings used to walking like quadpeds?), and fixed an error in Sprocket's list of gear. They're called zap-caps, not zap-packs.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea for a villain for Electromutt and Sprocket, you can PM it to me, since I want him to be original (like how Mechanikat isn't really based on any Superman enemies), and this is for superhero/villain animals based on current DC heroes/villains.

DanSandwichBoy

[193]Jul 11, 2006
    Did you write Dragonfly's profile here? Because I did a find command on every page for "Dragonfly", and I didn't find it.

Ladsone

[194]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 13

By all means.  I'd love to see what you can come up with.  If you need any help, let me know.

LADSONE

DanSandwichBoy

[195]Jul 11, 2006
    Is this an appropriate place to put this? I drew my first picture of Electromutt and Sprocket.

Think I made Sprocket look a little fat?

3StarvingArtist

[196]Jul 11, 2006
    DanSandwichBoy wrote:
    "I guess that, since Rubberband Man is the one I'm more familiar with, I really only related S-O-M to him. There is, of course, the fact that S-O-M and RB M have very different personalities."

True. Slightly OT, but I haven't seen Static in ages. RBM is a villain, isn't he?

"Anyway, I gave Electromutt a doggie jacket as suggested, got rid of my "if anyone can think of a better name" sign, since people seem to like the name Sprocket (I guess it was pretty good), changed all references to "jet-shoes" to "jet pack" (I mean, come on! Jet shoes on beings used to walking like quadpeds?), and fixed an error in Sprocket's list of gear. They're called zap-caps, not zap-packs.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea for a villain for Electromutt and Sprocket, you can PM it to me, since I want him to be original (like how Mechanikat isn't really based on any Superman enemies), and this is for superhero/villain animals based on current DC heroes/villains.

Cool beans. I think I might be able to help in the villain department. Are you looking for anything in particular for this villain (like, for example, do you wanna make him a methodical type, or a big vicious bruiser of some sort)?

3StarvingArtist

[197]Jul 11, 2006
    DanSandwichBoy wrote:
    Did you write Dragonfly's profile here? Because I did a find command on every page for "Dragonfly", and I didn't find it.

I haven't posted it yet, but hopefully it'll be up by tomorrow after I finalize it.

3StarvingArtist

[198]Jul 11, 2006
    Ladsone wrote:

By all means.  I'd love to see what you can come up with.  If you need any help, let me know.

LADSONE

Sure thing.

3StarvingArtist

[199]Jul 11, 2006
    DanSandwichBoy wrote:
    Is this an appropriate place to put this? I drew my first picture of Electromutt and Sprocket.

Think I made Sprocket look a little fat?

Shoot. I'll have to comment on this pic tomorrow (when I can get ahold of a better computer), since the library computers seem to have a problem showing it.

DanSandwichBoy

[200]Jul 12, 2006
    3StarvingArtist wrote:
    Cool beans. I think I might be able to help in the villain department. Are you looking for anything in particular for this villain (like, for example, do you wanna make him a methodical type, or a big vicious bruiser of some sort)?

Thanks! I'm thinking some kind of animal villain who's interested in using his own powers (and influencing other Bang Baby animals' [I call Electromutt a Bang Puppy ^^] use of their powers) for his own personal gain, and for some notorious respect. Kind of like Ebon, the shadow Bang Baby, but I don't want him to be too much like Ebon.