Krypto: the Superdog Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

Krypto on verge of cancellation?

catfan1

[1]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 17

This article at newsarama.com doesn't sound too hopeful for the future of Krypto on Cartoon Network.    I have no idea how accurate this is, but I thought krypto fans would want to see it.

I have no idea if the letter writing campaign suggested in the article would work but it probably wouldn't hurt.

KRYPTO TO THE DOGHOUSE?
    Inside Source Alleges Licensing Dictating Why DC Titles Being Dropped At Cartoon Network

by Steve Fritz

Fans wondering why Cartoon Network dropped Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited may finally start getting their answers. As it stands, a very well-placed source inside Warner Bros. Animation informed me that the last currently-running DC-related property, Krypto The Super Dog, is also on the verge of being cancelled.

"CN wants to focus on their own properties," says the source. "While I can understand this, I think that Krypto needs saving. I know it's not necessarily the most popular show on CN, but, it is a WB Animation/DC property, and so saving it could have very positive repercussions on the long-term DC/CN relationship. We weren't able to save JLU or Teen Titans because we didn't know that they were ending until too late. But if we act now to start a 'Save Krypto' letter writing campaign to the powers that be at CN, it might make a huge difference in the future of the show. Plus it shows CN there is a large fan base for the DC properties on their network, possibly paving the way for a return to CN of several other DC properties"

From what I've been told by my source at Warner Bros. Animation, the ratings on Krypto are such that it's currently on the bubble. The person felt a good letter-writing campaign might be just enough to give the show a green light for another season.

If fans want to do this, or just plain vent at CN about the removal of all DC-related shows from the schedule, the best way to do that is to write an actual letter and send it to the following address:

Save Krypto c/o Programming Cartoon Network 1050 Techwood Dr. NW Atlanta, GA 30318.

http://www.newsarama.com/AniShorts/Ani277.html

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

passiton

[2]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 24
    To me Cartoon Network is digging themselves into a ditch. They have dropped Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited. Two of the highest rated shows on Cartoon Network. If the cancellation does come through Cartoon Network will have lost most of my respect. That's what happened to me and Nickelodeon. If it does get cancelled the foundation of Cartoon Network will start to crumble. For their own sake they should keep the show, not to make all the DC fans mad. We can only hope for it not to be cancelled or end up like Family Guy.

What I just said can be summed up in what I typed in catfan's blog.

Comickook

[3]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    Thanks for the warning on this matter, catfan1. It's greatly appreciated. I, too, am rather alarmed by this news.
    Edited on 06/21/2006 11:19am

Isaac6356

[4]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 15

This really stinks. CN always takes away the good cartoons and replacing it with stuff that doesn't look great *however some I have no problem with*. Hopefully something is done. Thanks for telling us this.

kryptofreak120

[5]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 26
    I just wrote a blog on what I think about this. Read and respond if you want.

passiton

[6]Jun 21, 2006
    This leads me wonder something else. What ever happened to krypto_glass?

catfan1

[7]Jun 21, 2006

passiton wrote:
    This leads me wonder something else. What ever happened to krypto_glass?

I haven't seen any sign that he's been here in a long time.  I did e-mail Mark Garabedian and got a nice response from him a few weeks ago with a question I had about the way Streaky has been portrayed on the show.

passiton

[8]Jun 21, 2006
    I looked at his profile and saw that the last time he was online was May 5, 2006.

3StarvingArtist

[9]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    Isaac6356 wrote:

This really stinks. CN always takes away the good cartoons and replacing it with stuff that doesn't look great *however some I have no problem with*. Hopefully something is done. Thanks for telling us this.

*nods in agreement* Honestly, I don't think I even watch CN that much anymore, aside from KTSD and a select few Adult Swim shows. Looks like CN is continuing to turn into another Toon Disney...

catfan1

[10]Jun 21, 2006
    Yep, I used to have the TV on CN all the time.  Now, with JLU cancelled and 'Krypto' airing at who knows what hour, I haven't watched CN at all in weeks.

3StarvingArtist

[11]Jun 21, 2006

Well, at least we've still got Boomerang...

catfan1

[12]Jun 21, 2006

3StarvingArtist wrote:

True! I'm still catching up on Justice League episodes I missed when they first aired and it's good to see the Batman and Superman animated series from the '90s again... although who knows for how long.

Edited on 06/21/2006 1:38pm

X-626

[13]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 51

Ever since Cartoon Network started airing shows that aren't cartoons, I knew they would continue to do stupid things.

To be 100% honest, it's CN's own fault that the ratings are so low! First of all, they aired Krypto at a horrible time, a time when all students are still in school, thereby losing their audience. Second, they now air it in the morning, and only about 2 times a week. Honestly, now that there isn't any school, how many people are actually awake at that time?

Why do they think they're losing their audience to begin with?
    Edited on 06/21/2006 2:32pm

Mammal_Mage

[14]Jun 21, 2006
    They CAN'T cancel Krypto!  Their's hardly any thing else good on anymore.

3StarvingArtist

[15]Jun 21, 2006
    catfan1 wrote:

3StarvingArtist wrote:

True! I'm still catching up on Justice League episodes I missed when they first aired and it's good to see the Batman and Superman animated series from the '90s again... although who knows for how long.

I hope they don't screw up Boomerang too. >< And one day I'll get enough money to order that station again, but looks like I'll have to get by on the DVDs and episodes pple put up on-line until then.

Isaac6356

[16]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 15

I don't buy DVDs. For me, there's always Youtube.

3StarvingArtist

[17]Jun 21, 2006
    Isaac6356 wrote:

I don't buy DVDs. For me, there's always Youtube.

Youtube's the bomb diggity (I was delighted to find a bunch of old Power Rangers episodes and other stuff on there), but have heard you that they're coming down on certain pple for uploading certain shows? I had been watching Rurouni Kenshin there until it got deleted. >< PO'ed me royally.

3StarvingArtist

[18]Jun 21, 2006

X-626 wrote:
    Ever since Cartoon Network started airing shows that aren't cartoons, I knew they would continue to do stupid things. To be 100% honest, it's CN's own fault that the ratings are so low! First of all, they aired Krypto at a horrible time, a time when all students are still in school, thereby losing their audience. Second, they now air it in the morning, and only about 2 times a week. Honestly, now that there isn't any school, how many people are actually awake at that time? Why do they think they're losing their audience to begin with?

Agreed. Like, 100%. I guess that never occured to Ted Turner and co. ><

passiton

[19]Jun 21, 2006
    There's always the option of winning the lottery and buying CN. If I do somehow win the lottery I'm either going to buy Cartoon Network or pay for the return of Krypto.

Ladsone

[20]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 13

Hello my friends.  I too am disturbed by this news and will certainly write CN regarding this.  I haven't given Casey the news yet, but I will be putting fingers to keyboard tonight to send the Programming department at Cartoon Network a VERY long letter.  I would suggest that you encourage everyone you know that watches Krypto to write (not e-mail) a letter to CN regarding this show.  I can only speculate that CN is trying to sever any ties with Warner Bros. that they have had in the past (I agree that revenue from outside sources plays a major role).

LADSONE