Krypto: the Superdog

Magic Mutts

Aired Weekdays 12:00 PM Apr 27, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• Bravo! This show is really hitting its stride.

We already have a couple of excellent reviews but I can't help chiming in with another perfect 10 for this episode.
    Merton the magic rabbit is on a carrot-stealing rampage and it seems the best efforts of Superdog and Bathound are not enough to stop him. Fortunately, the heroic but silly Stretch-)-Mutt comes bouncing on to the scene. Together, Ace and Stretch come up with a plan to defeat the villainous pair.

I can't come up with enough good things to say about this episode: for once a truly formidable villain, an imaginative use of magic, lots of action and humor including Stretch's hilarious interaction with the much-too-serious Ace.

Stretch is living up to the promise of his origin episode. He's a truly wacky hero but quite effective when given the chance to show what he can do, not at all the incompetent sidekick you might first expect. In addition to the obvious influence of Plastic Man on the character, watching his wild shape-changing and extreme eye-bulging 'takes' make it clear that Stretch also owes a debt to the wacky classic animation of the legendary Tex Avery, something that really gives the show a lift. Can you tell that I like this character?

With a great new character and a change in the dynamics for Kevin, Andrea, Krypto and Streaky, it's clear the producers decided to tweak the show a bit in the second season and it's clearly paying off. With episodes like this, looks like "Krypto the Superdog" may just be hitting its stride.