Krypto: the Superdog

Stretch-O-Mutt to the Rescue

Aired Weekdays 12:00 PM Apr 25, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• The debut of a new character promises to add a little more wackiness to the Krypto series.

When I saw that the Krypto show would introduce a canine counterpart to Plastic Man, I was intrigued. Plas, with his zany approach to crimefighting, has always been one of my top three favorite comic book heroes. With Stretch-O-Mutt, it would seem the producers want to introduce a little more wacky humor, in the Plastic Man tradition, to the series and his debut is promising, in fact it\'s my favorite episode of the new season so far. Action, good pacing and a neat new character: this one has it all.
    We first meet our new hero, Buddy, as a somewhat offbeat guard dog at S.T.A.R. Labs. But just as the original Plastic Man got his powers from exposure to acid, Buddy is immersed in an experimental elastic solution. Krypto rescues Buddy from drowning and they go after a couple of Abbott and Costello-inspired villains who have stolen a valuable robot from the lab. Stretch-O-Mutt has a little trouble controlling the powers at first. But, with some encouragement from Superdog, Buddy becomes a hero when he captures the crooks and recovers the robot.
    Buddy is an appealing character, a bit goofy but capable of being a competent hero once he gets a handle on things, showing off his new powers in a shape-changing manner similar to the classic Plastic Man stories.
    Once again, Krypto is an extremely generous hero, ceding the spotlight to Stretch-O-Mutt and giving buddy credit for finding the crooks at the end.
    Stretch-O-Mutt is another fun character for the series and has the protential to add some zany humor to future episodes. I hope we see more of him soon.