Krypto: the Superdog

The Parrot and the Pirates

Aired Weekdays 12:00 PM May 05, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• Pretty entertaining change of pace adventure featuring Streaky and Stretch-O-Mutt starts out well, but loses a bit of steam toward the end. Still a very good episode.

Streaky intends to take the day off but instead ends up on a pirate ship with Stretch-O-Mutt, to reclaim crackers stolen by Blackbeak and his crew of rats. But as an overconfident Streaky prepares to mop up the deck with the crew, Blackbeak uses a magical pendant to steal his powers. But with Stretch-O-Mutt's help, they escape and are victorious over the pirates.
    This one starts out extremely well. Streaky and Stretch's banter is amusing and the setup is great up until Streaky loses his powers. It seems Blackbeak is going to be a truly menacing villain, and it's fun to watch the heroes make their escape, but unfortunately it fizzles some once Streaky and Stretch confront the parrot pirate at the climax. The pendant is introduced as a plot device to conveniently remove Streaky's powers so he'll need Stretch's help and then seems to be destroyed, and Streaky's powers restored, just as conveniently. With the problem easily resolved, the ending seems kind of abrupt. Stretch was good for some laughs, but much as I like the character, I think he's being overused a bit and some of his schtick is starting to wear a bit thin, at least for me, anyway.
    One thing I definitely liked, in contrast to the last time Streaky's powers were stolen (When Pegnuins Fly), Streaky was still very much involved in the action, even without his super powers, and he and Stretch worked well together.

I hope I don't come off too negative. I ejoyed this episode as you can see from my rating, I just think it could have been better. Still, it's a good change of pace adventure with some good action and comedy.
  • The intro to Blackbeak, who I don't think we'll be seeing more of...

Streaky's entire week has been rough. First it's Ignatius, then meteors, wildfires, and robotic bugs. Krypto, being generous, gives Streaky the day off, which he can no longer use to sleep after being awoken. He decides to head down to the docks, where he finds Stretch-O-Mutt guarding a shipment of crackers. Streaky, unfortunately, hides in the barrel when he sees a ship come in, and Stretch disguises himself in order to get onboard the ship with him. After having his powers taken away by Blackbeak's medallion, he has to chase the bird with Stretch-O-Mutt and recover his powers. And there's not much to worry about after that's said and done.

While an interesting episode, I felt like it couldn't really be taken seriously. I would've liked it to be longer, or maybe just Streaky on his own. They've sort of been overusing Stretch-O-Mutt in season two, but it's fine for now. 9.7/10