Kung Fu Forums

ABC (ended 1975)

Kung Fu

tvking1

[1]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 42

The title of this rather new age western is misleading. It suggests a chop-socky orgy, but it is nothing of the sort. It was a highly intelligent, human drama, what I call a road show, because the main character was constantly traveling, in his case to avoid bounty hunters, and using his martial arts skills only as a last resort.The kung fu was really only a bit player.

In the Bruce Lee biopic it is suggested that Lee was the one who came up with the concept of the series and wanted to star in it, but the producers thought it would be better to have a Caucasian play the lead. That is unfortunate, but that is not to detract from David Carradine's excellent performance. I'm considering purchasing the first season DVD release. It would be nice if it had a special feature that would shed some light on Lee's involvement with the the series' origin.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ssimonds1

[2]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 24

I agree that Lee would have been an excellent choice, but I think Carradine works a little better.

In those time orientals were heavely segregated from the white population especially in the west. That's why almost every city has a "China Town". A "halfbreed", although he would be harrased a lot, would have a bit more freedom to wander.

Would you like to try to snatch the pebble from hand.

tvking1

[3]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 42
    I read somewhere, I think on Wikipedia, that Lee wanted to call it The Warrior, which doesn't sound like Caine. I'm not sure exactly what concept he had for the series, or how it differed from the result. The title, I suspect, was changed to capitalize on a martial arts fad that seemed to be emerging at the time.

RebelTao

[4]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 3
    I was a teenager living in Alabama and had no exposure to "eastern" philosophies or religions. The ideas presented in the stories impressed me as much as the martial arts. It all worked together in the classic horse opera format. As television shows go, this one probably had one of the biggest impacts on my life. Some years later around the time I was 28, I quit my job and went off to live in a Taoist commune in Colorado...
    Edited on 11/11/2007 8:37am

revbucky

[5]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 22
    We purchased all three seasons and have watched them more than once. There is a good amount of features, including audio commentaries by David Carradine and short features with some of the old cast members. It's a well-done collection.

Carycomic

[6]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    I've always wondered. Did Bruce Lee ever hold David Carradine personally responsible for not getting the role of Caine?

poughkeepsieny

[7]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 4

I watched all three seasons on DVD within a span of a few months. What struck me is that either The American West in the 1870s was a VERY dangerous place, or Caine had the worst friggin' luck in the world. Oftentimes, with shows that feature a nomadic protagonist, that protagonist is going out of his way to right wrongs and stick his nose in people's business. However, Caine's just walking along and just walks into the situations that, many times, he has no easy way out of. If I were him, at some point I would have just gone and hidden in a cave.

That being said, he actually scored a fair amount when you count them all up.