K-Ville Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Why no flat accents?

litlthread

[1]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 13

This is supposed to be set in South Louisiana, right? So, why is it no one really talks like they're from South Louisiana?

I'm from New Iberia, The Berry (side note: why do Cajuns have to nickname all our city?), and people talk flat. They drop plurals and change sentence structure in a way that's actually more in keeping with French grammar than English. They constantly call people Bebe, Boo and Cher. They're tongue never stop touching their bottom teeth so all their "th" come out like "d". They ask questions just like regular sentances, like, "I can come with you?"They talk like Cajuns.

The people on this show talk like Texians. (Sorry, Texians means people not from South Louisiana, it don't mean people from Texas.) So, they talk like people up the bayou, not from South Louisiana. And Cajuns are not that hard to understand. People always talk about how hard it is to understand Cajuns but it's not that hard. I changed the way I talk just because it makes things easier up North. See, I'll write a Cajun joke in more of a Cajun dialect and you see if you don't perfectly understand what's being said.

I remember a joke that talk about a fella go round the country up the bayou and make a bet. He say, "I bet I can make you cry, yea." And them people say, "Nah, Cher, you don't can make me cry." And that fella say, "Yea, we let my friend Boo hold that money then." And them people say, "Boo who?" And that fella take all them people money.

Then that fella, he come down the bayou and he walk up to a big Cajun name of Dugas and say, "I bet I can make you cry, yea." And Dugas, he say, "Nah, Cher, you don't can make me cry." And that fella, he say, "Yea, we let my friend Boo hold that money then." And Dugas say, "Who be Boo?" And that fella loose all him money.

Now who couldn't understand that? It's a different way of talking but it's not impossible to understand. People understand Eubonics and actors will talk in weird accents from up North, but don't ask no actor to talk flat like a Cajun. Why not?

I just wish they had a least one person on the show that really talk flat. I gotta admit that part of me started watching this show as a memory. I wanted to see Louisiana and hear some good old flat accents. People talk boring up the bayou.

This would be like they have them people on Cane talk like some wasps. It kill the reality, wea?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

8valvehero

[2]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 3

at least somebody finally gets it.

i live here and get really tired of all movie and tv characters from south louisiana having this scarlet o'hara thing going on...

zeroburrito

[3]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 4
    that joke just seems like very poor grammar and no schooling. does that count as an accent?

Synetech

[4]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 22
    zeroburrito wrote:
    that joke just seems like very poor grammar and no schooling. does that count as an accent?
    Apparently you missed the joke.