K-Ville

Pilot

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 17, 2007 on FOX

• An intriguing start to a series that offers something unique.

7.8
    So far, the draw of this show is the setting. It's still amazing that two years later, a major city of the United States of America is worse than most third-world countries. Seeing that much of NO is still a ghost town is jarring and that, more than anything, gives the series its dramatic punch.

For the action, Anderson is well cast as the man desperate to believe things can go back to the way they once were despite everyone else feeling differently. His relationship with his former partner is well done as you can actually understand Charlie a bit, cracking under such extreme cirumstances while Boulet assumes everyone can be as strong as him. I'm glad Charlie survived as that can be a cool dynamic to play with trying to help Marlin out and forcing him to forgive him.

I liked Hauser as Cobb, laid-back at first but bringing it and standing right up to Boulet. The twist of him being a former crook was good and I like how Anderson makes it clear he'll be watching, still considering his partner a crook deep down, which gives the partnership a new angle.

I'll admit, I assumed the father was involved in the land scam but having the seemingly flighty daughter be behind it as payback for her brother was good. The action scenes were very well done and I enjoyed seeing Anderson's intensity with his family. I also liked the touches like "Waterbombing" a house which really is more effective in a city like this.

Overall, it could use a bit of tightening but the elements are there for a good ride while showing more of a city still desperate for help. Anderson alone gives it a good edge and Hauser's character is deeper than expected. That can hopefully make it stand out from other cop shows out there and give more limelight to a much-needed city.