Kyle XY

Electric Kiss

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 26, 2009 on ABC Family

• The show seems more teen drama then sci-fi nowadays, which can be a good thing, but it runs a fine line at times. This is one of the episodes which runs the line, just managing to keep my interest, but making me hope that the next episode has more sci-fi.

It seems to me the show is more soap opera then a sci-fi nowadays, which can be a good thing, but I think the show runs a fine line at times. That fine line is what makes me wonder if the show can still be as good as it used to, when it becomes more soap opera than sci-fi, it does loose a bit of appeal for me. I do enjoy the relationship problems and twists, just not in such a heavy dose compared to the more sci-fi aspects of the show. Warning spoilers ahead.

In this episode Mark and Lori secretly become a couple, which I could see coming but still makes me wonder why. We now know that Mark is working with Latnok, but why he is going out with Lori is still sort of a mystery. I mean, he could be going out with her to check on Kyle, but since they are dating in secret, that doesn't really give him any chance to do so. Later in the episode we see a member from Latnok telling Mark to stop seeing Lori, which puts the nail almost in the coffin for the theory that Mark is seeing Lori to spy on Kyle. That said, it is still possible that the director is just making us think that Mark is seeing Lori just because he wants to. The episode was not a bad one, but nothing really happened to further our suspense for the next episode. I think the biggest let down for this episode was how predictable it was at times. Despite that, it was still a fairly good episode, and I can't wait to see what happens from now on.
  • We all saw that one coming from around the corner (and down the block)...

As soon as the bit with the "scientific kiss" was first brought up, it became obvious where it was leading. I kept thinking, "Please don't let them do what I think they're going to do with this. Please don't have Amanda walk in on the two of them. The characters are smarter than that -- especially since Mr. Trager already busted in on them." But sure enough, the door opens and they're caught in the act. Argghh. The whole "it's all a big misunderstanding" explanation is wearing so very thin as a plot line. Lazy writing like that is unworthy of this show. And unfortunately, that one plotline negatively colored my appreciation of the entire episode.