Kyle XY

Endgame

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Aug 28, 2006 on ABC Family

• Great episode, but didn't live up to the hype.

Endgame is a good episode and for many it will be very emotional. So much became clear in that moment when he returned home and announced his decision. We learned:

- Kyle can and does have faith. He took Tom's word to go with the two people. He referred to Tom in a positive religious form.

- Someone Tom trusted arranged for Kyle to continue on his journey.

- Kyle had a clean way to protect the Tragers and everyone else in the neighborhood.

OK, the episode didn't spell these facts out at that moment, but I was willing to trust Kyle and Tom.

During Kyle's goodbye to everyone, I realized we weren't saying goodbye to Kyle as they were. Instead we were watching those characters leave us. Maybe the camera angle of Kyle's perspective helped me come to this realization. It became clear we maybe seeing the last of the Tragers and their neighbors. They have been an interesting, rewarding, and cool group of characters.

The ending didn't live up to the hype, though. One advertisement said all would be revealed and in another one all of our questions answered. I still have questions and this means they missed the expectation they (not us or I) set for the episode.

It does look like my guess of Kyle being a clone is true.

OH! I wonder if the show's concept is along the lines of Star Trek's eugenics, because Kyle seems to be a heavily genetically modified clone. There are obvious differences between the two shows. For one Kyle doesn't seem to have the "flaw" Gene Roddenberry created in those whose genetic code God did not create. The show's creator has a positive view both of genetics and the part nurturing has on a person's development. Kyle’s increased abilities aren’t causing increased ambitions that empathy or love for his fellow man.

I still wonder about “the Kyle” who is telling the story. Is someone reading a journal after his death? Is he writing a journal as we learn about his adventure? Is he alive, healthy and safe? Is he writing this journal so some record of his life will exist? Has a group opposed to what Kyle represents captured him and Kyle is trying to show they don’t have anything to fear? Maybe the creator has yet to think this far and only used this medium because he likes it. Yeah, I know renewal means leaving something for next season! Hopefully, the creator and writers will answer all of our questions by the series’ last episode, in 15 years (or however long Kyle-XY has).