Kyle XY

House of Cards

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Aug 13, 2007 on ABC Family

• Exciting ep, as always, but writing slightly losing consistency?

I thought this was an awesome ep, but I think the writing is getting a little too far-fetched. This is why I'm not giving it a perfect 10. I thought that Mr. Valentine already had a Latnok ring in "The Homecoming," before Kyle's went missing, when we first meet this character. We see this same ring in a close-up of Valentine's hands in "Come to Your Senses." So Valentine's ring and Kyle's ring can't be the same. But if Taylor has been playing Kyle from the start and the ring seems so important in this ep, why did he give it to Kyle so freely? I find this hard to believe. When Taylor hands over the tiny envelope to Kyle saying that Bailan wanted Kyle to have it, surely Taylor must have suspected what was in it? And Lori's spontaneous decision to go camping right where Zysicks was bombed also seems to be nothing more than a deus ex machina excuse to get Kyle back to the facility. As cool as the eps have been so far, it sounds like the writers are sort of making the story up as they go along here. Until the last two eps, I have never had a problem with the show.

I will say this, though: when Kyle opens the envelope and first gets the Latnok ring, the camera shifts to Taylor's face as he says he's never seen the ring before, hinting that he's lying. This was way back in the "Homecoming" ep. Maybe the writers really do have this all planned out and I'm just worried over nothing.