L.A. Dragnet

ABC (ended 2004)

L.A. Dragnet Fan Reviews (8)

• Even Ed O'Neill could not save the program from Dick Wolf's fatal error...

...the fatal error I saw in the show was this: it violated the concept Jack Webb had in both the original 1950's production, and the 1960's revival. The concept was simple - an ordinary case, with nothing really extraordinary about the detectives working the case, nor anything really extraordinary in the resolution of the case.

But the first episode, "The Silver Slayer", deviated so much from this time-tested formula, that I didn't watch another episode. The fact that the episodes were an hour long didn't help, either - the originals, at thirty minutes, had no chance to lag, as the Wolf rendition did.

The only reason I rated the show 5 at all was Ed O'Neill's performance. If Dick Wolf had followed the original "Dragnet" format, O'Neill would have been a perfect Joe Friday - and even in this fatally flawed format, he still was quite good. He was a much better Friday than Dan Aykroyd was in the motion picture - in fact, O'Neill's performance was much better than any he turned in for "Married With Children".

Too bad it was wasted - but he saved L.A. Dragnet from a certainly deserved zero rating.
  • Oh my god, this episode was really quite terrible and cringworthy to watch! The acting was very bad but it matched the writing.

5.2
    Oh my god, this episode was really quite terrible and cringworthy to watch! The acting was very bad but it matched the writing. The appearance of Pete from Fall Out Boy was just silly and the way as many of the characters could just be in a scene with him learning how to cook or kissing him due to believing it was dream!?!
  • When Remakes Go Bad.

L.A. Dragnet: Despite being written by Law and Order mogul Dick Wolf, this show didn't last.

Prehaps this show would have been taken seriously had they cast anybody except Ed "Al Bundy" O' Neil to play Joe Friday.

When it was announced that Ed O' Neil was to play Joe Friday, the jokes came pouring out. one of the best was "This is the city of Los Angeles California, a place where high heels and low tops meet, when it does it always isn't pretty, my job is to solve the crime that occurs when they meet, my name is Joe Friday and I sell shoes but for one weekend a month, two weeks a year I am a cop."
  • Another brilliant show cancelled by ABC because of less than perfect audience viewing figures. When will they ever learn to allow a show to nurture and grow ?

LA Dragnet was a fantastic show, and Ed O'Neil had finally got out from under the demons that had ensnared him in typecast hell. It's always a crying shame when an actor is so good at his job, that he becomes hard to see in any other role. Ed O'Neil was a brilliant actor in Married with children. He played Al Bundy, to perfection.

So it was brilliant to see him given a role which allowed him to spread his acting wings and grow. To me he was even better than the original Dragnet actor. Lieutenant Joe Friday played by O'Neil, was a detective who was far from the two dimensional characters we see on our screens week in week out. But ABC in their infinite wisdom started playing around with the air times and days, often the death knell to a show, probably done on purpose by some exec' who had the knives out for Dragnet, so that his own pet project would have a slot to slide into ? It wouldnt surprize me. Replaced by "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter"!! Good grief
  • Another great show by Dick Wolf

L.A. Dragnet was another great show by Dick Wolf. Mr. Wolf is a big fan of the original Dragnet and that show is where Law & Order gets its "ripped from the headlines" tag. I'm glad he took a shot and did this remake. The writing and directions were both very strong as well as the acting.

I think the thing that ultimately killed the show was the constant fiddling with the cast. I understand Ethan Embrie was not keen on the way his character was written. I also believe that a lot of viewers had a hard time taking Ed O'Neil seriously. My best friend even stated that he (Mr. O'Neil) would always be Al Bundy in his eyes. It's too bad that people won't let this great actor live down his most famous roll.

Hopefully this show will make it to DVD and we can all enjoy the reruns at or leasure.
  • Joe Friday Deserves better than what ABC did to him

My goodness, we all awaited the premiere of the new and improved Dragnet...oh sorry L.A. Dragnet, New theme music, great actors, and what happens ABC doesn't even give it a chance... come on you boneheads this show had such potential, if it would have just got away from the robbery/homicides. The acting was superb, writing above par, storyline was good all the show needed was time. At least give it to us on DVD so we can enjoy what was produced.
  • Ed O'Neill drops the Al Bundy persona and does a credible job as Joe Friday

This was an updated version of the classic crime drama. Ed O' Neill plays the hardboiled Friday and was so good at it. I thought this Dick Wolf produced show would be a hit, but like ABC is wont to do, they didn't promote it right, didn't leave in a good time slot and moved it around so much it could never develop a following and wondered why it didn't get good ratings. It only was on for 20-25 shows, but the ones that were on were top-notch. Even the theme song, updated and modern spin on the old classic was good.
  • Great Detective Show.. Cancelled way too quickly

Hey.. I think O'Neill from Married with Children made a really credible Joe Friday.. Why? Because, his acting didn't remind me at all of Married with Children.

He was Joe Friday.

Now.. I think they went wrong in season 2.. renaming the show L.A. Dragnet and then, making him work with a bunch of other detectives.. This is the part that went wrong. To me.

I still liked the show.. but the truth is.. the first season formula made more sense. Now the show had that 50s detective feel to it, and I like that. Oh well.