La Femme Nikita

A Time for Every Purpose

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Mar 04, 2001 on USA

• End of a Morally Dubious TV Series

La Femme Nikita the Joel Surnow TV series was a morally dubious enterprise that would have us buy into the notion that "the good guys must do bad things to defeat the bad guys."

It differed from La Femme Nikita, the memorable Luc Besson film and Nikita, the reimagined Craig Silverstein TV series that followed, and not to its advantage.

Both the Luc Besson film and the Craig Silverstein series promoted a more accurate view of right and wrong.

Joel Surnow would go on to create the even more immoral TV series "24," which rationalized the use of state-sanctioned torture.

Surnow's argument that the good guys must do bad things to defeat the bad guys is of course nonsense.

Whether we are good guys or bad guys is defined by what we do. If we do good things, then we are the good guys. If we do bad things, then we are the bad guys.

There is no such thing as good guys doing bad things to defeat the bad guys. If you do bad things, then you are no longer the good guys. You are the bad guys.

It doesn't matter if you still have on a white hat. It doesn't matter if you have an American flag pin in your lapel.